The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fun:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fun
- Definition of the adjective fun
- Definition of the verb fun
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Fun
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fun
- Photos about Fun
- Video language resources about Fun
- Sign language
- Quotes about Fun
- Scrabble value of F4U1N1
- Anagrams of FUN
- Share this page
The word fun is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fun
What does fun mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: funs
- activities that are enjoyable or amusing
- verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously)
- example: he became a figure of fun
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of fun: play / sport
- more generic words: humor / humour / wit / witticism / wittiness = a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
- more specific words:
- violent and excited activity
- a disposition to find (or make) causes for amusement
- example: he was fun to be with
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of fun: playfulness
- more generic words: frivolity / frivolousness = the trait of being frivolous
- more specific terms:
- facetiousness = playful humor
- impertinence / perkiness / sauciness / archness / pertness = inappropriate playfulness
- frolicsomeness / sportiveness / friskiness = lively high-spirited playfulness
- mischievousness / whimsicality / puckishness / impishness = the trait of behaving like an imp
- sense of humour / sense of humor / humour / humor = the trait of appreciating (and being able to express) the humorous
Alternative definition of the noun fun
- amusement, enjoyment or pleasure.
- playful, often noisy, activity.
Definition of the adjective fun
What does fun mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: funner | funnest
- [informal] enjoyable, amusing.
- [informal] whimsical, flamboyant
Definition of the verb fun
What does fun mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: funned, funning
- [colloquial] To tease, kid, poke fun at.
- "Fun" is a 1994 independent drama film starring Alicia Witt and Renée Humphrey, and directed by Rafal Zielinski. Both Witt and Humphrey won a Special Jury Recognition award at the 1994 Sundance Film Festival. The film centers on the murder of an elderly woman by two mentally unstable girls. The film is based on a play by James Bosley, which was in turn based on an actual murder that took place in Auburn, California in 1983 by 14-year-old Shirley Wolf and 15-year-old Cindy Collier. The film's title is derived from a diary entry by Wolf, which read: "Today, Cindy and I ran away and killed an old lady. It was lots of fun.
- countries: Canada, United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Rafal Zielinski
- executive producers: Rana Joy Glickman & Jeff Kirshbaum
- written by James Bosley
- music by Mark Tschanz
- genres: Thriller, Crime Fiction, Drama
- released in (21 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- "Fun": Fun-Can Be Dangerous Sometimes is a 2005 Hindi Thriller film directed by Sunjay Zaveri and produced by Goldie Tucker .The film features Aryan Vaid,Siddharth Koirala and Payal Rohatgi as main characters. The plot of the film deal with a theme of husband swapping.It is first ever in Bollywood as source reveals.
- also known as Fun: Can Be Dangerous Sometimes, Fun – Can Be Dangerous Sometimes, Fun - Can Be Dangerous Sometimes
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- director: Sunjay S Zaveri
- cinematography by Mahendra Rayan
- music by Sanjeev–Darshan, Sanjeev Rathod, Darshan Rathod
- genres: Romance Film, Crime Fiction, Thriller, Bollywood, World cinema, Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Fun" is a short film.
- Fun is a fictional character from the 1998 film O-Negative.
- Fun is a fictional character from the 2010 film Gallants.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Fun
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Exodus to the Virtual World (2007)
How Online Fun Is Changing Reality by Edward Castronova
Fun is a part of happiness, a subset of all positive emotional states. Many forms of happiness can...
Moreover, many forms of happiness do not require that you do anything, whereas fun is an attribute of activity. A person can feel...
Prob & Solutions In C++ (2008)
char *fun(); Here fun is a function that returns a pointer to char.
Entertainment Industries (2014)
Entertainment as a Cultural System by Alan McKee, Dr Alan McKee, Christy Collis, Ben Hamley
Fun is a key entertainment virtue. Entertainment can be silly. It is not somber. Among the central lessons of producing entertainment is ...
by Tiberius Cavallo
fun is a revolution of 28 years, in which time the days of the months return again to the fame days of the week ; the sun's place returns to the fame signs and degrees of the ecliptic on the fame months and days, so as not to differ one degree in ...
Inhabitants, Lore, Spells, and Ancient Crypt Warnings of the Land of Ooo Circa 19.56 B.G.E. - 501 A.G.E. by Martin Olson
Reverse Fun Activator . Test Voltage Slot Chip . Degauss Sunshine Strip . Lift & Spin Smile Grip . Install & Lock Pinky Pin . Connect Bunny Ground 9. Push-Pull Aztec Crimper 10. Enjoy Reverse Polarity Fun! H! #&#| | || 0|23 = XH =9||5||7| BMO ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fun
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fun
Click on an item to view that photo:
Marseille, Provence, France, Sony a7R, Zeiss Batis FE 25mm F2, batis225
Photo credit: x1klima
Photo credit: H. Diecke - Thank you for visiting my photo stream
Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Photo credit: Tobi NDH
Photo credit: Mads Boedker
Photo credit: davemutton
Photo credit: csongor87
Photo credit: Macrophy (Grant Beedie)
Alberca de pelotas
Photo credit: yeskefo
- Doomy fun
Photo credit: Qfamily
- Fun Kid
Photo credit: Monkey Mash Button
- Driving Fun
So what are they doing to those poor handicap people...
Photo credit: phlyingpenguin
Isabel enjoys the game of Sorry
Photo credit: mia3mom
- Work fun
Work cafeteria fun
Photo credit: matt512
Photo credit: VSPYCC
Photo credit: julesjulesjules m
Photo credit: corsi photo
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fun
Click on an item to play that video:
- Fun Ways to Teach Vocabulary - 4th Grade Vocabulary
This educational hip-hop song teaches 4th grade vocabulary words. See the lyrics and complete lesson at...
- Learn USEFUL ENGLISH WORDS - FUNNY & FUN - Improve your English vocabulary
Rich explains the different uses and meanings of these two popular, everyday terms that sometimes can be confused or not used correctly when describing ...
- How To Make Vocabulary Fun
Introducing a Fun Vocabulary Interactive Website...
- Manny Pacquiao - Philippine Celebrity Basketball Fun! - Slang Festival 2011
Manny Pacquiao - Philippine Celebrity Basketball Fun! - Slang Festival 2011.
- Fun Halloween English vocabulary ESL lesson
Get some cool vocabulary for Halloween, courtesy of Nice Talking With You!
- Visual Flash Cards: Verbs 1 - Vocabulary Builder - The Kids' Picture Show (Fun & Educational)
Flash cards of common verbs in a fun, rhythmical format. They're fast! The Kids' Picture Show playlists: Shapes...
- Learn Basic English Numbers - pumkin.com fun kids English vocabulary cartoon
- Bathroom Vocabulary Flash Cards - The Kids' Picture Show (Fun & Educational Learning Video)
Flash cards of bathroom vocabulary in a fun, rhythmical format. They're fast! The Kids' Picture Show playlists: Shapes...
- Learning Animal Vocabulary Words for Toddler | Cute & Fun Animal Videos for Kids | Playground4kids
Learning Toddler Animal Vocabulary Words | Cute & Fun Animal Videos for Kids | Playground4kids Watch and learn toddler animal vocabulary words one by ...
- Kitchen Vocabulary Flash Cards - The Kids' Picture Show (Fun & Educational Learning Video)
Learn kitchen vocabulary and listen to the beats! These flash cards are fast! The Kids' Picture Show playlists: Shapes...
- Basic 2D, 3D Shapes - Definition, Names - Preschool and Kindergarten Activities, Fun Game for Kids
Blocks and clocks and tables too, the sun and the clouds, and even you - everything has a shape. Can you find these shapes all around you? Kids Educ ...
- A Fun and Easy Way to Learn Your Vocabulary Words
- Fun Vocabulary : 12 Zodiac Signs
Do you know that Chinese Zodiac has different animal signs to represent all 12 years cycles? These animal signs are calculated align with the Chinese calendar ...
- Learn English Idiom Fun ESL Lessons "End of Story" Tasty English 24
English Idioms Fun Edutainment Lessons - "End Of Story"- ESL by Tasty English "End of Story" - Everything has been said, and there are no more arguments to ...
- Come to Find Out - Learn a Fun American English Idiom
Learn fun American English idiom -- watch now! Watch this video next...
- Things on the Street Vocabulary Flash Cards - The Kids' Picture Show (Fun & Educational)
Street signs, crosswalks, sidewalks - learn road safety by learning the names of things on the street. The Kids' Picture Show playlists: Shapes: ...
- James Ernest on the Meaning of 'Fun'
James Ernest, Owner and Lead Designer at Cheapass Games, speaks on the meaning of fun at the first Futures of Unconventional Narrative (FUN) Conference ...
- SAT Words in Dragon Ball Z | Fun Way to Learn Vocabulary
- SAT/ACT fun vocabulary video
This video was originally created to teach the Holt, Rinehart, and Winston Fourth course Vocabulary Workshop lessons 3 and 4, but it has vocabulary ...
- SAT Words in Dragon Ball Z | Fun Way to Learn Vocabulary
- Learn English Idioms Fun ESL Lessons "In The Same Boat" Tasty English 21
English Idioms Fun Edutainment Lessons - "In The Same Boat"- ESL by Tasty English...
- The Most Fun English Teaching (ESL) Game -- "Hot Seat"
A quick 4-minute description of how to play Hot Seat" and a list of possible phrases to use! This game is great for a one-hour long lesson; it can also be used to ...
- A Fun Guide to Nonverbal Communication and Body Language
Are you a nonverbal communication and body language pro? This fun video covers a number of need-to-know tips. Great job to COMM 397/597 students who ...
- Learn English fun with comedy series Mind your language series 1 (06)
Mr. Brown finds himself in a lot of trouble when Danielle tells Mr. Jarvis, a pestering Irish woodwork teacher at the school, that she is engaged to Mr. Brown.
- Summer Was Fun - Sine Language
- Summer Was Fun - Sine Language
- ESL FUN GAME - Beat the match!
A Fun Game for medium to higher level students. An exciting way to recall and improve their English vocabularies under time pressure.
- Learn English fun with comedy series: Mind your language series 1 (05)
Mr. Brown becomes ill and can't come to class! His students all pay a visit to him, each with their own 'remedy' to make him feel better. Hope you have a lot of fun ...
- Subject Verb Agreement- Fun and easy to learn!
- Learn English Idioms Fun ESL Lessons "Seen Better Days" Tasty English 22
Dan talks about his crazy day, and all three agree that they "have seen better days". "Seen better days" - Someone or something that is not in a good condition ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Fun!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Summer Signs: Sun, Swim, Fun, Vacation, Ocean, ASL, Baby Sign Language
SignShine is giving you another fun tutorial. Learn 4th of July signs, step by step--- and then test yourself! Summer Vacation Fun Sun Ocean Water Have a great ...
- A Fun Way to Learn Sign Language
Would you like to learn or increase your American Sign Language (ASL) repertoire? REGISTER BELOW TO RECEIVE A NEW SIGN EACH DAY: ...
- Have fun learning american sign language!
- The Fun of Being a Sign Language Interpreter
- Texas State athlete performs Uptown Fun in sign language
A video starring a Texas State University football player is sweeping across social media, but it has nothing to do with football.
Quotes about Fun
Scrabble value of F4U1N1
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FUN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Fun!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fun to see it in context!