Food appears in the following tongue twister:
- Farrell's features fabulous food 'n' fantastic fountain fantasies for frolicking, fun-filled festive families.
Food appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Do offer a ref food.
- Food, a lass, salad - oof!
- Do off-folio flat ego trials flow at a wolf’s lair to get alfoil off food?
Usage statistics for the noun food:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun food
- Phrases with Food
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Food
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Food
- Usage statistics about food
- Photos about Food
- Videos about Food
- Sign language
- Quotes about Food
- Scrabble value of F4O1O1D2
- Anagrams of FOOD
- Share this page
The word food is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun food
What does food mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: foods
- any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonym of food: nutrient
- more generic word: substance = a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties
- more specific terms:
- vitellus / yolk = nutritive material of an ovum stored for the nutrition of an embryo
- comfort food = food that is simply prepared and gives a sense of wellbeing
- comestible / victuals / eatable / pabulum / victual / edible = any substance that can be used as food
- fare = the food and drink that are regularly served or consumed
- food product / foodstuff = a substance that can be used or prepared for use as food
- alimentation / nourishment / sustenance / nutriment / nutrition / victuals / aliment = a source of materials to nourish the body
- commissariat / provisions / provender / victuals / viands = a stock or supply of foods
- provender / feed = food for domestic livestock
- manna from heaven / miraculous food / manna = food that God gave the Israelites during the Exodus
- drinkable / beverage / potable / drink = any liquid suitable for drinking
- water = a liquid necessary for the life of most animals and plants
- soul food = food traditionally eaten by African-Americans in the South
- micronutrient = a substance needed only in small amounts for normal body function
- chyme = a semiliquid mass of partially digested food that passes from the stomach through the pyloric sphincter into the duodenum
- culture medium / medium = a nutrient substance (solid or liquid) that is used to cultivate micro-organisms
- part: solid food = any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment
- any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment
- example: food and drink
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of food: solid food
- more generic word: solid = matter that is solid at room temperature and pressure
- more specific terms:
- leftovers = food remaining from a previous meal
- fresh foods / fresh food = food that is not preserved by canning or dehydration or freezing or smoking
- convenience food = any packaged dish or food that can be prepared quickly and easily as by thawing or heating
- chocolate = a food made from roasted ground cacao beans
- baked goods = foods (like breads and cakes and pastries) that are cooked in an oven
- loaf = a quantity of food (other than bread) formed in a particular shape
- meat = the flesh of animals (including fishes and birds and snails) used as food
- alimentary paste / pasta = shaped and dried dough made from flour and water and sometimes egg
- health food = any natural or prepared food popularly believed to promote good health
- junk food = food that tastes good but is high in calories having little nutritional value
- breakfast food = any food (especially cereal) usually served for breakfast
- green groceries / garden truck / green goods / produce = fresh fruits and vegetable grown for the market
- coconut meat / coconut = the edible white meat of a coconut
- dika bread = somewhat astringent paste prepared by grinding and heating seeds of the African wild mango
- fish = the flesh of fish used as food
- seafood = edible fish (broadly including freshwater fish) or shellfish or roe etc
- butter = an edible emulsion of fat globules made by churning milk or cream
- yoghourt / yoghurt / yogurt = a custard-like food made from curdled milk
- cheese = a solid food prepared from the pressed curd of milk
- slop = weak or watery unappetizing food or drink
- part of: nutrient = any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of food: food for thought / intellectual nourishment
- more generic terms: cognitive content / content / mental object = the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- more specific word: pabulum = insipid intellectual nourishment
Food a.k.a. Food Records was a record label set up in 1984 by David Balfe, who later took on Andy Ross as his partner. Originally formed as an independent record label with distribution going through Rough Trade Distribution, Food also Universal licenced acts WEA Records, before becoming closely associated with the EMI group's Parlophone label. In 1988 Stevo that got on flight to USA bring back Artists Dubstar and Recording contract to assist EMI' Food EMI invested in the label and then in 1994 EMI gained complete control and folded it into Parlophone in 2000.
- read more about Food Records
- Food is an experimental jazz band initiated by Ian Bellamy and Thomas Strønen after a coincidental meeting first in Trondheim, Norway and later in Molde 1997. They got two jobs at Moldejazz 1998, that were recorded, and the first album Food was a fact.
- Food is a musical group.
- album: "Forever Is a Dream"
There are other groups with in their name, like Good Food, Angel Food, Food Brain, Chewed Food, Belfast Food, Food pyramid, Dog Food Five, Electric Food, Food for Worms, Elmer Food Beat, Food for Animals, Fast Food Rockers, Fast Food Orchestra, Fast Food Funkateers, Pure Food and Drug Act and school food punishment.
- "Food" is a book by T. P. Coultate.
- also known as "Food: the chemistry of its components"
- "Food" is a 1996 JBF Awards winning article by Jane Snow.
- "Food" is a book by Leon Gray & John Woodward.
- also known as Our food
- "Food" is a book by Bertram Baynes Fowler.
- also known as "Food, a weapon for victory"
"Food" is a 1992 Czech animated short film directed by Jan Švankmajer that uses claymation and pixilation. It examines the human relationship with food by showing breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- also known as Das kleine Fressen, Jedzenie, Trofi, Jídlo
- countries: Czechoslovakia, United Kingdom
- producer: Jaromír Kallista
- executive producers: Keith Griffiths & Michael Havas
- production design by Jan Švankmajer
- written by Jan Švankmajer
- cinematography by Svatopluk Malý
- edited by Marie Zemanová
- genres: Animation, Comedy
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Food" is the sixth studio album by American recording artist Kelis, released on April 18, 2014, becoming her first album released under Ninja Tune Records. In 2007, Jive dropped Kelis, and she later signed to Interscope and will.i.am Music Group in 2009, through the label she released her fifth studio album, Flesh Tone, which saw Kelis experiment with a dance sound. In 2011 Kelis began work on the follow up to Flesh Tone, however she left Interscope and signed to Federal Prism, before officially signing to the British independent label Ninja Tune for the release of Food.
- genre: Soul music
- released on
- "Food" is the debut album from London based rock band Zico Chain, Anaemia and Where Would You Rather be? where released as singles from the album along with music videos.
- genre: Hard rock
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Food" is a musical single of The Lovely Eggs.
- released on
- "Food" is a musical EP of Horse the Band.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Food" is a musical album of Jelly Planet.
- released in (12 years ago)
Food a.k.a. Moanda Airport is an airport serving Moanda, a town in the Haut-Ogooué Province in Gabon.
- part of Gabon
- Food a.k.a. Food Manufacturing is an industry.
- Food: Episode 1 of Bee and PuppyCat: The Series.
- The food this nutrition information is about. Note that "food" in this case refers to a specific formulation of a food according to the data provider, such as a government agency or the food's manufacturer.
- Food is a 1995 JBF Awards nominated magazine series by Jeffrey Steingarten.
- award: - James Beard Award for Magazine Series nomination for Jeffrey Steingarten
Phrases with Food
Phrases starting with the word Food:
Phrases ending with the word Food:
- buy food
- cat food
- dog food
- pet food
- Baby food
- bird food
- fast food
- Fish food
- junk food
View more phrases with the word Food in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Food
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Food is the topic of this and the following three verses. Just as the level of consciousness of...
Substantial food is that which is nourishing and that sustains the body for a long time, energizing it over a long period. Oily or fatty, oleaginous food ...
Professor Atwater says: “First, food is that which, taken into the body, builds up its tissues and keeps them in repair or which is consumed in the body to yield energy in the form of heat to keep it warm and create strength for its work. “ Second ...
An Integrative Approach by Elsie Jones-Smith
The food is a positive reinforcer for the hungry rat. The rat presses the...
by B. SIVASANKAR
Food is a basic requirement of man than even shelter and clothing. It is the source of nutrients and provides the energy required for all activities of a human body, such as growth, repair of the damaged tissues, reproduction and sustenance.
by Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur
Food is a kind of fuel which provides energy to all the living organisms. The living organisms use...
Thus, food is the basic requirement of all the living organisms for obtaining energy.
NUTRITION Food is an organic substance. The simplest ...
The Pleasures of Slow Food (2013)
Celebrating Authentic Traditions, Flavors, and Recipes by Corby Kummer
Fast food is an industrial commodity, assembled by machines out of parts shipped from various factories. In many ways...
Freedom from Want (2005)
The Human Right to Adequate Food by George Kent
The right to adequate food is a human right for all people everywhere. The right to adequate food is laid out in the most important human rights document, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as well as the International Covenant on ...
by Paul Fieldhouse
FOOD. (CA. 600. BCE). The Taittiriya Upanishad is a Sanskrit text dating from the sixth century BCE and is part of a larger Vedic work called the Yajurveda. The Upanishads are an important source of the wisdom of ancient Hinduism.
by Dennis R. Heldman
INTRODUCTION Food engineering may be defined as the sum of those engineering activities associated with the processing, packaging, and delivery ...
by George A. Burdock
Regulatory notes Regulatory citations Pet food uses TKPP to modify proteins enabling them to solubilize and retain moisture during storage. TKPP also increases shelf-life of products by sequestering multivalent cations responsible for lipid ...
by Bev Bennett, Virginia Van Vynckt, Carolyn E. Moore
ideal weight see DESIRABLE WEIGHT Imitation cheese A food for which there is no official definition. The definition of imitation cheese follows the definition of IMITATION ...
Encyclopedia of Food Safety (2013)
Table 3 Food packaging materials by type with examples for typical contaminants Food packaging type Materials Typical contaminants Plastic Polyethylene terephthalate Formaldehyde Acetaldehyde Antimony Ultraviolet (UV) stabilizers ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Food
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about food
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun food:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun food:
Photos about Food
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: belgianchocolate
Photo credit: ddqhu
Food baskets in Tiajuana, MX
Photo credit: albertstraub
Photo credit: WordRidden
Photo credit: coolmikeol
Photo credit: kevygee
Sardines at Le Pirate
Photo credit: HerryLawford
Photo credit: HerryLawford
Photo credit: Gonmi
Photo credit: LianaAn
Bought in a supermarket, eaten on a park bench. Yummie.
Photo credit: luigig
Photo credit: jrsnchzhrs
Almost there ...
Photo credit: dhaun
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Food
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn Food Vocabulary!
- British & American English: Food Vocabulary
- English vocabulary food with pronunciation
English vocabulary food and dirinks with pronunciation.
- Food Vocabulary
Graded readers at...
- Food Spelling Chant for Kids (Preschool-Grade 1 Vocabulary)
- Vocabulary FOOD and COOKING (Lesson 11)
An English vocabulary lesson on the theme of FOOD and COOKING. For upper intermediate and advanced learners.
- Learn English Vocabulary - Breakfast and Food [English Conversation]
- Meaning of Food
This video discusses reasons for food consumption and how this may be impacted by culture. It also discusses food and mood and the use of food to convey ...
- Ordering Food Delivery - Food English Lessons - English Vocabulary Tutorials
Sometimes when you are too tired to cook, or when you want to eat something special that you cannot cook, you want to order from a restaurant instead of ...
- BBQ Song | Learn Food Vocabulary
The BBQ Song is a simple, fun summer song to practice and learn food vocabulary. Great for young learners, kindergarten, preschool and ESL / EFL classrooms.
- Food Vocabulary. Seafood
Food Vocabulary.Seafood items.
- The Barbecue Song for Kids | Learn Food Vocabulary
B.B.Q. is an easy, silly song for kids to learn food vocabulary and get in the mood for warm weather. Download CD at ...
- English Vocabulary - Food
Homemade video for ESL Students - Food...
- Easy Words 1 (Food Song) - Learn English vocabulary for kids - English song for Toddlers
- English for children,ESL Kids Lessons - Food and eating - hamburger, ice cream, chocolate
- Dan Jurafsky, "Macaroon, Macaron, Macaroni: The Secret Language of Food"
Why does "macaroon" sound like "macaroni"? Did ketchup really come from China? Do the adjectives on a menu predict how much your dinner will cost?
- Slow Motion Food #1 : Squeeze | Kitchen Verb
Squeezing is extracting liquid from food by compressing or twisting it firmly. Boring ? Just watch it in Slow Motion. There's beauty everywhere around us and food ...
- The language of food
Dan Jurafsky, author of the new book on menu mysteries, explains how to decode the grammar of cuisine.
- Food Description
- Learning the language of food with Dan Jurafsky
Ketchup is a beloved American condiment. It's the ubiquitous presence on restaurant tables, and the nearly required dressing for hot dogs, hamburgers, and ...
- Tom Haverford's Food Language Stop Motion
Stop motion for Tom Haverford's food nicknames from Parks and Rec.
- Food Scientists and Technologists Job Description
Food Scientists and Technologists Job Description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Food!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cat Uses Sign Language to Ask for Food
Cat knows how to sign 'eat' and get attention. . JOIN QUIZGROUP PARTNER PROGRAM...
- Baby Sign Language: First Food Signs
- Sign Language Lesson: Eating Lunch, Basic Food Signs
In this ASL lesson learn basic American Sign Language words you can use while eating lunch such as hungry, thirsty, salad, fork, napkin, kitchen, and much ...
- American Sign Language Food Words : American Sign Language: Restaurants
If you need to sign words in a restaurant with sign language you may need to know words like order, drink, menu and check.
- Learn Indian Sign language "FOOD" #GetStarted
Ever thought there could be unique gestures for different kind of food names. Let us take a sneak peak in what Mr. Arun C. Rao has in his kitty this time. In this ...
Quotes about Food
On the food...
Making tasty of food...
Waste is not
Food is not
Make a food
With out condiments
Eat healthy...! (Otteri Selvakumar)
more quotes about food...
Scrabble value of F4O1O1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FOOD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Food!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Food to see it in context!