The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb falter:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun falter
- Definition of the verb falter
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Falter
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Falter
- Photos about Falter
- Video about Falter
- Quotes about Falter
- Scrabble value of F4A1L1T1E1R1
- Anagrams of FALTER
- Share this page
Definition of the noun falter
What does falter mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: falters
- the act of pausing uncertainly
Alternative definition of the noun falter
- See unsteadiness.
Definition of the verb falter
What does falter mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: faltered | faltering | falters
- be unsure or weak
- move hesitatingly, as if about to give way
- walk unsteadily
- speak haltingly
- examples: The speaker faltered when he saw his opponent enter the room | Sam and Sue falter
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of falter: bumble / stammer / stutter
- more generic words: mouth / speak / talk / utter / verbalise / verbalize = express in speech
Alternative definition of the verb falter
- To waver or be unsteady.
- To stammer.
- To stumble.
- Falter is a musical group.
- album: "Descent"
- Falter is a musical group.
- album: "Fear of Heights"
- official website: www.falter.co.nz
- "Falter" is a musical single of Hundred Reasons.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Falter" is a musical single of Jake Morley.
- released on
Falter is a weekly magazine published in Vienna, Austria.
- official website: www.falter.at
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Falter
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Hensleigh Wedgwood (M.A.)
To Falter. To speak in broken tones, to vacillate, totter. The formation of this word may be illustrated by the analogy of one or two others closely resembling it in construction and signification. To patter is to make a light rattling sound, or, as the ...
by Bertrand Badie, Dirk Berg-Schlosser, Leonardo Morlino
Falter Johannes GutenbergUniversity Mainz Mainz, Germany See also Attitudes, Political; Electoral Behavior; Measurement; Policy Analysis; Political Culture; Positivism; Quantitative Methods, Basic Assumptions; Survey Research ...
by Walter W. Skeat, Walter William Skeat
falter, to totter, ...
by Jerzy Jan Lerski
FALTER, ALFRED came politically dominated by the National Democracy.* The Falcons took active part in the movement striving for national freedom. A central Falcon organization was called into being in Warsaw* in 1919 and reached a ...
by Walter William Skeat
falter , to totter, stammer. (F. — L.) M. JL.faltren, to totter ; frequentative from a base fall-. — O. F. falter*, to fail ; not recorded ; but see fault below. faucet, a spigot, vent.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* To FALTER, v. n. [/altar, to be wanting, Spanish; vnultur, a stammerer, Jflan-'ick, which is probably a word from the fame ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Falter
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Falter
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Falter
Video shows what falter means. unsteadiness.. falter pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. falter meaning. Powered by MaryTTS.
See also the pronunciation examples of Falter!
Quotes about Falter
In politics you must always keep running with the pack. The moment that you falter and they sense that you are injured, the rest will turn on you like wolves. (R. A. Butler)
more quotes about falter...
Scrabble value of F4A1L1T1E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FALTER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Falter!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Falter to see it in context!