Error appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- I prevent Lu’s error: result never pi.
- Nurses send: "Does a clone (Evita, genetic error) recite negative enol case oddnesses?… Run!"
- "One vital error!" retaliates Rohan, a cosy baby, "So can a horse tail a terror relative… no?"
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun error:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun error
- Definition of the verb error
- Phrases with Error
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Error
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Error
- Photos about Error
- Video language resources about Error
- Sign language
- Quotes about Error
- Scrabble value of E1R1R1O1R1
- Share this page
Error is sometimes a misspelling of ere.
The word error and its family (erroneous, erroneously, errors) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun error
What does error mean as a name of something?
Error is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: errors
- a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention
- example: she was quick to point out my errors
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of error: fault / mistake
- more generic words: nonaccomplishment / nonachievement = an act that does not achieve its intended goal
- more specific words:
- smirch / smear / stain / blot / spot = an act that brings discredit to the person who does it
- confusion / mix-up = a mistake that results from taking one thing to be another
- incursion = the mistake of incurring liability or blame
- miscalculation / misestimation / misreckoning = a mistake in calculating
- distortion = the mistake of misrepresenting the facts
- parapraxis / slip-up / miscue / slip = a minor inadvertent mistake usually observed in speech or writing or in small accidents or memory lapses etc.
- offside = the mistake of occupying an illegal position on the playing field
- oversight / lapse = a mistake resulting from inattention
- omission / skip = a mistake resulting from neglect
- pratfall / bloomer / blooper / blunder / boo-boo / foul-up / bungle / fuckup / boner / botch / flub = an embarrassing mistake
- balls-up / mess-up / ballup / cockup = something badly botched or muddled
- foolishness / imbecility / stupidity / betise / folly = a stupid mistake
- renege / revoke = the mistake of not following suit when able to do so
- inadvertent incorrectness
- a misconception resulting from incorrect information
- (baseball) a failure of a defensive player to make an out when normal play would have sufficed
- departure from what is ethically acceptable
- (computer science) the occurrence of an incorrect result produced by a computer
- domain: computer science / computing
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonym of error: computer error
- more generic terms: happening / natural event / occurrence / occurrent = an event that happens
- more specific terms:
- hardware error = error resulting from a malfunction of some physical component of the computer
- programming error / software error = error resulting from bad code in some program involved in producing the erroneous result
- algorithm error = error resulting from the choice of the wrong algorithm or method for achieving the intended result
- part of a statement that is not correct
- example: the book was full of errors
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of error: mistake
- more generic word: misstatement = a statement that contains a mistake
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun error
- [countable] A mistake; an accidental wrong action or a false statement not made deliberately.
- [computing, countable] A failure to complete a task, usually involving a premature termination.
- [statistics, countable] The difference between a measured or calculated value and a true one.
- [baseball, countable] A play which is scored as having been made incorrectly.
- [context: appellate legal, uncountable] One or more mistakes in a trial that could be grounds for review of the judgement.
Specialised definition of the noun error
Glossary of sports
deviation from a target or ideal varying in amount or nature (Mark H. Anshel. 1991. Dictionary of the Sport and Exercise Sciences. Human Kinetics Books Champaign, Illinois)
Glossary of sports / baseball
an instance of a fielder failing to record an out when one could have been made using routine effort (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb error
What does error mean as a doing word?
- [computing] To function improperly due to an error, especially accompanied by error message.
- synonym: err
- [telecommunications] To show or contain an error or fault.
- [nonstandard] To err.
Error is a digital hardcore band founded in 2003 by 12 Rounds member and Nine Inch Nails collaborator Atticus Ross, and Bad Religion guitarist Brett Gurewitz. Since the 2004 release of their self-titled EP, the project has been on hiatus.
- genres: Digital hardcore, Electro, Hardcore punk, Electronic music, Industrial music, Punk rock
- album: "Error"
- "Error" is a musical EP of VIXX.
- released on
- "Error" is the debut single of the German singer-songwriter Madeline Juno from her album The Unknown and is part of the soundtracks of the movies Fack ju Göhte and Pompeii. It will compete in Unser Song für Dänemark, the German national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2014.
- "Error": Error is the self-titled debut EP by Error, released by Epitaph Records in 2004. Although not an official member, Greg Puciato of the Dillinger Escape Plan was asked to record vocals for the EP, as the band was without a vocalist at the time.
- "Error" is a musical single of VIXX.
- released on
- "Error" is a musical album of Monno.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Error" is a musical single of Sander van Doorn.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Error" is a musical single of Central Seven.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Error" is a musical album of AQUA.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Error" is a musical album of Emptiness.
- released on
- "Error" is a musical album of Alkatraz.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Error" is a musical single of Swirlies.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "ERROR" is a musical album of Straightener.
- released on (13 years ago)
"Error" is a book by Nicholas Rescher.
- also known as "Error: (on our predicament when things go wrong)"
- genres: Mathematics, Philosophy, Science
- subjects: Epistemology, History
"Error" is a 2011 short film directed by Níels Thibaud Girerd.
- also known as Villa
- country: Iceland
- language: Icelandic Language
- producers: Níels Thibaud Girerd, Daníel Gylfason, Dagur Benedikt Reynisson & Einar Karl Gunnarsson
- released in (4 years ago)
- Error: The word error entails different meanings and usages relative to how it is conceptually applied. The concrete meaning of the Latin word "error" is "wandering" or "straying". Unlike an illusion, an error or a mistake can sometimes be dispelled through knowledge. For example, a person who uses too much of an ingredient in a recipe and has a failed product can learn the right amount to use and avoid repeating the mistake. However, some errors can occur even when individuals have the required knowledge to perform a task correctly. Examples include forgetting to collect change after buying chocolate from a vending machine, forgetting the original document after making photocopies, and forgetting to turn the gas off after cooking a meal. Some errors occur when an individual is distracted by something else.
- also known as 錯誤
- Error: In baseball statistics, an error is the act, in the judgment of the official scorer, of a fielder misplaying a ball in a manner that allows a batter or baserunner to advance one or more bases or allows an at bat to continue after the batter should have been put out.
- Error: In Applied linguistics, an error is a deviation from accepted rules of a language made by a learner of a second language. Such errors result from the learner's lack of knowledge of correct rules of the target language. A significant distinction is generally made between errors and mistakes which are not treated the same from a linguistic viewpoint. The study of learners' errors was the main area of investigation by linguists in the history of Second-language acquisition research.
- Error: There are many kinds of error in law. Reversible error can lead to a judgment being overturned on appeal. Harmless error is distinguished from plain error in that if error is preserved by the making of a timely objection, the burden of proof is on the respondent to show that the error was harmless, but if error was not preserved, the burden of proof is on the appellant to show that the error was plain.
Phrases with Error
Phrases starting with the word Error:
Phrases ending with the word Error:
- α Error
- β Error
- Beta Error
- disk error
- Alpha Error
- syntax error
- system error
- Type I Error
- Compass Error
- literal error
- runtime error
- Type II Error
- writ of error
- Absolute Error
- computer error
- hardware error
View more phrases with the word Error in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Error
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Eigen-axis angular error means and standard deviations values between ac- tual rotation and...
Cartesian translation error means and standard deviation values between actual rotation and point-to-point ICP algorithm ...
Through Minds’ Eyes (2013)
by Ryan J. Hite
The first error is that belief is something that is apart from the divine. Belief is something which comes forth from the divine and the truth comes forth from that belief. The second error is that man is both material and mental. The mental is the ...
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Error is a hardy plant ; it flourisheth in every soil ; in the heart of the wise and good, alike with the wicked and the foolish...
Error is the cause of man's misery, the corrupt principle that has produced evil in the world ; it is this which begets and ...
by Joe D. Hoffman, Steven Frankel
Round-off error is the error caused by the finite word length employed in the calculations. Round-off error is more...
by J. K. Sharma
Type II error is the probability of accepting null hypothesis when it is true.
Social Research Methods (2014)
The standard error is the spread of averages around the average of averages in a sampling distribution. Sampling error In...
A low sampling error means that there exists relatively less variability in the sampling distribution. Consider the example of a...
by Raj K. Modak
Type || error is the chance of concluding that there is no significant difference between the groups when in fact there is a real...
A Look at Commercial Buildings in 1995: Characteristics, Energy Consumption, and Energy Expenditures
Sampling error is the random difference between the survey estimate and the population value that occurs because the survey estimate is calculated from a...
The standard error is a measure of the reliability or precision of the survey statistic.
The Method of the Vedanta (1997)
A Critical Account of the Advaita Tradition by Swami Satchidanandendra Saraswati, A. J. Alston
ERROR IS THE MANIFESTATION OF AN OBJECT OF INDETERMINABLE REALITY-GRADE The refutation of difference ended with the assertion that the conviction that one was experiencing difference need not necessarily ...
Dictionary of Weighing Terms (2009)
A Guide to the Terminology of Weighing by Roland Nater, Arthur Reichmuth, Roman Schwartz, Michael Borys, Panagiotis Zervos
maximum permissible deviation ➝ maximum permissible error maximum permissible error Largest deviation allowed (mpe) from a specified value (➝ nominal value). For ➝ weight pieces, the maximum permissible error is the amount of the ...
by Edward L. Melnick, Brian S. Everitt
Ensure helm in correct position Table 2 TRACER-Lite internal error taxonomy (guide words) Internal error. 1. Check boat 2. Start engine 4. Final checks 5. Abandon platform Plan 4: do in order 4.1 Check wind ...
by Mitchell H Gail, Jacques Benichou
KUPPER Matching Coefficient of Numerical Taxonomy see Agreement, Measurement of Matlab see Software, Biostatistical Matrix Method to Adjust for Misclassification see Misclassification Error Measurement Error in ...
by Phillip A. Laplante
error control coding level. For example, a physical short or break may result in logical error of stuck-at-0 or stuck-at-1 state of some signal in the considered circuit. (2) a discrepancy between a computed, observed, or measured value or ...
by Philip A. Laplante
error tolerance error (1) a discrepancy between a computed, observed, or measured value or condition and the true, specified, or theoretically correct value or condition. See anomaly, bug, defect, exception. (2) an incorrect internal state of a ...
by David Andrew Schultz
harmless error With failing health and eyesight, Harlan retired from the Supreme Court in September, 1971, and died two months later. For more information: Shapiro, David L., ed. The Evolution of a Judicial Philosophy: Selected Opinions ...
by Ronald G. Driggers
A band-pass filter, whose center frequency is the rotation frequency of the reticle or the optics, provides the tracking error signals. Fig. 12 shows the constructed system on MATLAB- Simulink. In order to determine the target position, this reticle ...
Volume 45 - Project Progress Management to Pumps by John J. McKetta Jr
Pressure distortion error: static pressure in gaue line Recognizing this, square- root theory was rederived using differential pressure modulation ratios (b/VA/3). One recent set of data is shown in Fig. 3. Using the velocity modulation ratio (Fig.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Error
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Error
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: raveau
Photo credit: Anthony Albright
Photo credit: Imamon
The memory could not be "written," so people couldn't "pay" for their "parking."
Photo credit: scottjacksonx
Photo credit: shrk
Photo credit: visual07
- Train error
Photo credit: supervillain
- Error misterioso
Photo credit: RinzeWind
- Apostrophe Error.
This signals the end of Western Civilization.
Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall
- Google Chrome error
Er is iets misgegaan tijdens het weergeven van deze webpagina. Laad de pagina opnieuw of ga naar een andere pagina om door te gaan.
Als dit vaak wordt weergegeven, probeert u deze suggesties.
Photo credit: Remko van Dokkum
- DNS error
Cobo's wifi went down apparently, and the kiosks at Saturn's display were experiencing some technical difficulties.
Oh, and they're wasting a perfectly good iMac by making it run Windows.
Photo credit: crazytales562
- Apostrophe error
Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall
- Error en cajero
Curioso error en un cajero de caja Duero. El texto pone: operating system not found
Photo credit: Rafa de Castro
- Windows error
you just can't escape it. It's everywhere...
Photo credit: ollesvensson
- Nice error
Well done tag cloud and response generator at the Turner Prize retorspective ruined by either a memory leak or underpowered hardware. Possibly both.
Really nice touch in the content submission, when it's complete the words fly up off the screen towards this visualisation.
Photo credit: nedrichards
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Error
Click on an item to play that video:
- Statistical error - definition
Error (statistical error) describes the difference between a value obtained from a data collection process and the 'true' value for the population. The greater the ...
- Integral - Catch the Error - Explanation - Integration - Pre-university Calculus - TU Delft
In the corresponding previous video a mathematical problem to evaluate an integral is solved. But the solution contains an error! Can you catch the error?
- Lecture 18 - ADC Terminology, Offset and Gain Error, Differential Nonlinearity (DNL).
Video Lecture Series by IIT Professors ( Not Available in NPTEL) "VLSI Data Conversion Circuits" By Prof. Nagendra Krishnapura and Prof.Shanthi Pavan For ...
- Solving Equations containing logarithm - Catch the Error - Explanation - Pre-university Calculus
In the corresponding previous video a mathematical problem involving an equation with a logarithm is solved. But the solution contains an error! Can you catch ...
- Finding minimum or maximum - Catch the Error - Explanation - Pre-university Calculus - TU Delft
In the corresponding previous video a mathematical problem involving finding the minimum or maximum of a function is solved. But the solution contains an ...
- Solving Equations - Catch the Error - Explanation - Equations - Pre-university Calculus - TU Delft
In the corresponding previous video a mathematical problem involving equations is solved. But the solution contains an error! Can you catch the error?
- Solving Inequalities - Catch the Error - Explanation - Pre-university Calculus - TU Delft
In the corresponding previous video a mathematical problem involving an inequality is solved. But the solution contains an error! Can you catch the error? In this ...
- Survival Navigation - Solar Noon Time Error Explanation
Some of the enlightening explanation concerning the range of factors that result in solar time errors when considering local solar time versus man constructed ...
- SAT Writing - Comparison Error Explanation
- Meaning of SHEMITAH, BLOOD MOON Error! & Answer! 9.23.15 See DESCRIPTION (with respect)
- Typographical error Meaning
Video shows what typographical error means. A mistake made during the process of typing, especially one caused by a slip of the fingers; often shortened to ...
- Standard error Meaning
Video shows what standard error means. A measure of how likely a mean of means is to be wrong. It is the standard deviation of the sample sizes in each to the ...
- Uncertainty and Percent Error Explanation
This is a video describing what the terms uncertainty and percent error mean.
- (Attempt #2) Q&A + Error Explanation
- Justice Kumaraswamy likely to provide an explanation regarding the arithmetic error
According to reports, Justice Kumaraswamy is likely to provide an explanation on Friday regarding the arithmetic error pointed out in the judgement copy.
- PS3 Trophy Sync Error Explanation & PS3 Wireless Keypad Review Update
- Commerce Error Definition video lecture by Gurukpo.com
If you are facing difficulties on errors in commer subject then you should watch this video. For more commerce tutorial videos please visit ...
- Fundamental Attribution Error Explanation
- Meaning of differentials and source of error
- Epson Printer Error Lights -INTERACTIVE- Meaning of Red/Blinking Leds
How to identify many common Epson inkjet printer problems using the led lights on control panel. If your printer stops working and the lights are on or flashing, ...
- How To Fix Rotmg Language Error!
simple fix enjoy :)
- ESL/EFL Oral Error Feedback (test yourself)
ESL/EFL Oral Error Feedback / Correction. Answers: 1: Explicit Correction; 2- Metalinguistic Feedback; 3- Elicitation; 4- Clarification Request; 5- Repetition; ...
- ESL Lesson Demo: Intro and Lead In with Error Correction
The Language House TEFL...
- Mistake Vs Error - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Error Analysis in Second Language Acquisition
- 06 Using the language of learning and welcoming error
Stonefields school leaders discuss learning strategies that help students solve problems they don't know the answer to. Their learners do not wait for the teacher ...
- Error Correction in the Language Classroom
A beginning language teacher demonstrates different forms of error correction in the language classroom.
- FIFA 15 FIXED-Activation Error Fixed/Origin Error Fixed/Language Menu Crash Fixed/Controller Fixed
HOW TO INSTALL FIFA 15 .... Core/Activation64.dll Error Fixed/Origin Error Fixed (Play without Origin)/Language Menu Crash Fixed/Controller Fixed NOTE: ...
- Red Krayola with Art & Language - Gross and Conspicuous Error #8
Corrected Slogans was the first LP to be produced and was worked on by Art & Language and Red Crayola founder member Mayo Thompson between 1973 ...
- How to fix Xbox 360 System Update stopped error (DESCRIPTION)
Turn on your Xbox and remove any discs - Now get a USB flash drive and plug into the pc and format it to FAT32. - Next go to this page ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Error!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cute baby makes a funny sign language error!!!
This is a video of a super cute baby waving at the camera, and then doing some sign language. Very funny, super cute, and extremely unexpected!
- CBeebies Sign Language Background Error
Someone's pressed the wrong switch here, and they're displaying an old format CBBC background.
Quotes about Error
Our capital system is haunted by the demon of error: error in determining guilt and error in determining who among the guilty deserves to die. What effect was race having? What effect was poverty having? (George Ryan)
more quotes about error...
Scrabble value of E1R1R1O1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Error to see it in context!