On this page:
- Definition of the noun epicene
- Definition of the adjective epicene
- Phrases with Epicene
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Epicene
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Epicene
- Photo about Epicene
- Video about Epicene
- Scrabble value of E1P3I1C3E1N1E1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun epicene
What does epicene mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: epicenes
- one having both male and female sexual characteristics and organs; at birth an unambiguous assignment of male or female cannot be made
Alternative definition of the noun epicene
- A hermaphrodite person or other creature
- An effeminate person
- An epicene word, without separate grammatical gender forms.
- An epicene object
Definition of the adjective epicene
What does epicene mean as an attribute of a noun?
- having an ambiguous sexual identity
- having unsuitable feminine qualities
Alternative definition of the adjective epicene
- lacking gender distinction, often specifically due to lack of either the masculine or the feminine
- synonym: unisex
- effeminate [gloss, male with unusually strong female characteristics]
- [biology] androgynous, hermaphrodite [gloss, having both male and female characteristics]
- [biology] asexual [gloss, having neither male nor female characteristics]
- synonym: asexual
- [linguistics] having only one form of the word, which serves as both masculine and feminine, even for either male or female referents
- synonym: metrosexual
Epicene is a fictional character from the 1964 film A Jolly Bad Fellow.
"Epicene" is a composition.
- music by The Gasman
Epicene is an adjective that indicates lack of gender distinction, often specifically loss of masculinity.
- also known as Epicenism, Epicenity
Phrases with Epicene
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Epicene
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Gassner, Edward Quinn
Epicene, or The Silent Woman (I609). A comedy by Ben Jonson. Frequently described as Jonson's gayest and liveliest comedy. Epicene recounts the trials of Morose. a gentleman inordinately sensitive to noise. Displeased with the behavior of ...
The Classic First Edition by H. W. Fowler
an epicene word is one that, though its epithets are always masculine or always ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
*right, appanage, prerogative, privilege, perquisite 2 patrimony, *heritage, inheritance bisexual adj Bisexual, hermaphroditic, hermaphrodite, androgynous, epicene are comparable when meaning combining male and female qualities.
Historic and Modern by Mary Brooks Picken
epicene (ep ih seen). 1. Common to both sexes. 2. Having characteristics of, or adapted to both sexes. 3. Sexless; neither one thing or the other; effemmate. epicene fashion. A fashion common ...
Between Grammar and Lexicon (2000)
by Ellen Contini-Morava, Y. Tobin
It is proposed here that epicenes are always cases of animate gender in that every epicene is characterised by the sameness within otherness that is typical of animacy. At the level of tongue, the type of animacy (masculine or feminine) is not ...
by Wayne R. Dynes
There is also a grammatical category called epicene , for a noun capable of designating either sex; from this technical usage derives the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Epicene
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Epicene
Photo credit: V. H. Hammer
Video about Epicene
Video shows what epicene means. Lacking gender distinction, often specifically due to lack of either the masculine or the feminine.. Effeminate .. Androgynous ...
View more videos about Epicene Pronoun.
Scrabble value of E1P3I1C3E1N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Epicene to find many related words and phrases!