On this page:
- Definition of the noun endocrine
- Definition of the adjective endocrine
- Phrases with endocrine
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for endocrine
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for endocrine
- Photos about endocrine
- Video about endocrine
- Scrabble value of E1N1D2O1C3R1I1N1E1
- Anagrams of ENDOCRINE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun endocrine
What does endocrine mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: endocrines
- the secretion of an endocrine gland that is transmitted by the blood to the tissue on which it has a specific effect
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of endocrine: hormone / internal secretion
- more generic word: secretion = a functionally specialized substance (especially one that is not a waste) released from a gland or cell
- more specific terms:
- adrenocorticotrophic hormone / adrenocorticotropic hormone / adrenocorticotrophin / adrenocorticotropin / corticotrophin / corticotropin / ACTH = a hormone produced by the anterior pituitary gland that stimulates the adrenal cortex
- epinephrine / adrenaline / epinephrin / Adrenalin = a catecholamine secreted by the adrenal medulla in response to stress
- gastrointestinal hormone / GI hormones = hormones that affect gastrointestinal functioning
- glucagon = a hormone secreted by the pancreas
- gonadotrophic hormone / gonadotropic hormone / gonadotrophin / gonadotropin = hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland and placenta
- insulin = hormone secreted by the isles of Langerhans in the pancreas
- melatonin = hormone secreted by the pineal gland
- neurohormone = a hormone that is released by nerve impulses
- oxytocin / Pitocin = hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland
- parathyroid hormone / parathormone = hormone synthesized and released into the blood stream by the parathyroid glands
- relaxin = hormone secreted by the corpus luteum during the last days of pregnancy
- hypothalamic releasing hormone / hypothalamic releasing factor / releasing hormone / releasing factor / RH = any of several hormones produced in the hypothalamus and carried by a vein to the anterior pituitary gland where they stimulate the release of anterior pituitary hormones
- somatotrophic hormone / human growth hormone / somatotropic hormone / growth hormone / somatotrophin / somatotropin / STH = a hormone produced by the anterior pituitary gland
- thymosin = hormone secreted by the thymus
- thyroid hormone = any of several closely related compounds that are produced by the thyroid gland and are active metabolically
- antidiuretic hormone / vasopressin / Pitressin / ADH = hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland (trade name Pitressin) and also by nerve endings in the hypothalamus
- steroid hormone / sex hormone / steroid = any hormone affecting the development and growth of sex organs
- adrenosterone = a steroid having androgenic activity
- glucocorticoid = a steroid hormone that is produced by the adrenal cortex of animals
- catecholamine = any of a group of chemicals including epinephrine and norepinephrine that are produced in the medulla of the adrenal gland
- melanocyte-stimulating hormone / MSH = a hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland that controls the degree of pigmentation in melanocytes
- thyroid-stimulating hormone / thyrotrophic hormone / thyrotropic hormone / thyrotrophin / thyrotropin / TSH = anterior pituitary hormone that stimulates the function of the thyroid gland
- thyrotropin-releasing hormone / thyrotropin-releasing factor / protirelin / TRF / TRH = hormone released by the hypothalamus that controls the release of thyroid-stimulating hormone from the anterior pituitary
- any of the glands of the endocrine system that secrete hormones directly into the bloodstream
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of endocrine: ductless gland / endocrine gland
- more generic terms: gland / secreter / secretor / secretory organ = any of various organs that synthesize substances needed by the body and release it through ducts or directly into the bloodstream
- more specific terms:
- thyroid gland / thyroid = located near the base of the neck
- parathyroid gland / parathyroid = any one of four endocrine glands situated above or within the thyroid gland
- suprarenal gland / adrenal gland / adrenal = either of a pair of complex endocrine glands situated near the kidney
- prostate gland / prostate = a firm partly muscular chestnut sized gland in males at the neck of the urethra
- thymus gland / thymus = a ductless glandular organ at the base of the neck that produces lymphocytes and aids in producing immunity
- pituitary gland / pituitary body / hypophysis / pituitary = the master gland of the endocrine system
- anterior pituitary gland / anterior pituitary / adenohypophysis = the anterior lobe of the pituitary body
- pars anterior / pars distilis = the anterior part of the anterior pituitary
- pars intermedia = a thin piece of tissue that has become part of the posterior pituitary
- posterior pituitary gland / posterior pituitary / neurohypophysis / pars nervosa = the posterior lobe of the pituitary body
- epiphysis cerebri / pineal gland / pineal body / epiphysis = a small endocrine gland in the brain; situated beneath the back part of the corpus callosum
- islands of Langerhans / islets of Langerhans / isles of Langerhans = cell clusters in the pancreas that form the endocrine part of that organ
- adrenal cortex = the cortex of the adrenal gland
- adrenal medulla = the medulla of the adrenal gland
- corpus luteum = yellow endocrine tissue that forms in a ruptured Graafian follicle following the release of an ovum
- sex gland / gonad = a gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced
- part of: endocrine system = the system of glands that produce endocrine secretions that help to control bodily metabolic activity
Alternative definition of the noun endocrine
- The secretion of an endocrine gland.
- An endocrine gland.
Definition of the adjective endocrine
What does endocrine mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or belonging to endocrine glands or their secretions
Phrases with endocrine
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for endocrine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Julie McDowell
The following sections will provide a closer look at the function of each of the endocrine glands.
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
Accessory glands Spermatids Spermatocytes Cysts Spermatogonia Endocrine Regulation of Insect Reproduction, Figure 25 (a). The generalized male reproductive system. (b). A single testicular follicle showing the zones of sperm maturation ...
A Comprehensive Guide to Diseases and Their Orthodox and Alternative Remedies by Dr Caroline Shreeve
THE BODY'S MAIN endocrine (ductless) glands are the pituitary, the thyroid, the parathyroids, the adrenals, the pancreas and the sex glands (ovaries and testes). The pituitary, thyroid, parathyroids and adrenals form separate and distinct ...
by Kyriakos S. Markides
Aging is associated with a number of changes in muscle mass and function that may be caused by agerelated endocrine changes and, conversely, may also be responsible for changes in the effects of some hormones. The most sticking effect ...
The Ayurveda Encyclopedia (2007)
Natural Secrets to Healing, Prevention, and Longevity by Swami Sadashiva Tirtha
Some authorities like Srikanthmurthy, suggest the endocrine system is also not uniquely identified by ancient Áyurvedic texts, and can be considered the 15th srotas system. Using cross-referencing, by knowing a symptom, Áyurveda can find ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2007)
by Elsevier, Mosby
By its structural and functional relationships with the nervous system and the endocrine glands, it acts as a mediator of both the nervous system and the endocrine system. gland, sublingual salivary, n the smallest of the major salivary glands.
by Chris Brooker
endocrine glands the ductless glands that produce hormones which pass directly into the blood or lymph to influence distant structures. They include the hypothalamus, pineal body (gland) ...
by William F. Perrin, Bernd Würsig, J.G.M. Thewissen
The challenges associated with conducting endocrine studies on cetaceans are largely logistical and several studies have been conducted on both captive and free-ranging cetaceans to develop non-invasive or novel methods of sample ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for endocrine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about endocrine
If you need images about endocrine for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about endocrine
Video shows what endocrine means. Producing internal secretions that are transported around the body by the bloodstream.. Pertaining to the endocrine glands ...
See also the pronunciation examples of endocrine!
Scrabble value of E1N1D2O1C3R1I1N1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ENDOCRINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of endocrine!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of endocrine to see it in context!