Emit appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Emit Eno one time.
- Emit no tot on time.
- Emit a mile, lima time.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb emit:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb emit and its most common antonym:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb emit
What does emit mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: emitted, emitting
- expel (gases or odors)
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of emit: breathe / pass off
- more generic words: discharge / eject / exhaust / expel / release = eliminate
- more specific terms:
- give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.
- example: The ozone layer blocks some harmful rays which the sun emits
- lexical domain: Weather - verbs of raining, snowing, thawing, thundering
- synonyms of emit: give off / give out
- antonym of emit: absorb
- more specific words:
- effuse = give out or emit
- reflect / shine = be bright by reflecting or casting light
- sparkle / spark = emit or produce sparks
- radiate = send out rays or waves
- scintillate = give off
- smoke / fume = emit a cloud of fine particles
- reek = give off smoke, fumes, warm vapour, steam, etc.
- shoot = emit (as light, flame, or fumes) suddenly and forcefully
- ray = emit as rays
- steam = emit steam
- express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words)
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of emit: let loose / let out / utter
- more specific terms:
- call = utter in a loud voice or announce
- gibber = chatter inarticulately
- crow = express pleasure verbally
- crow = utter shrill sounds
- trumpet = utter in trumpet-like sounds
- coo = cry softly, as of pigeons
- shout out / holler / scream / squall / hollo / shout / call / yell / cry = utter a sudden loud cry
- miaou / miaow = make a cat-like sound
- tut-tut / tsk / tut = utter `tsk,' `tut,' or `tut-tut,' as in disapproval
- repeat / echo = to say again or imitate
- call = utter a characteristic note or cry
- shoot = utter fast and forcefully
- gurgle = utter with a gurgling sound
- cry = utter a characteristic sound
- nasale = speak in a nasal voice
- bite out = utter
- sigh = utter with a sigh
- troat = emit a cry intended to attract other animals
- lift = make audible
- pant = utter while panting, as if out of breath
- volley = utter rapidly
- break into = express or utter spontaneously
- heave = utter a sound, as with obvious effort
- chorus = utter in unison
- splutter / sputter = utter with a spitting sound, as if in a rage
- deliver = utter
- hoot = to utter a loud clamorous shout
- grunt = issue a grunting, low, animal-like noise
- wolf-whistle = whistle or howl approvingly at a female, of males
- snort = indicate contempt by breathing noisily and forcefully through the nose
- spit out / spit = utter with anger or contempt
- groan / moan = indicate pain, discomfort, or displeasure
- grumble / rumble / growl = to utter or emit low dull rumbling sounds
- yammer / wrawl / howl / yowl = cry loudly, as of animals
- bark = make barking sounds
- blate / bleat / blat / baa = cry plaintively
- bellow / roar = make a loud noise, as of animal
- chirrup / cheep / chirp / peep = make high-pitched sounds
- churr / whirr = make a vibrant sound, as of some birds
- chirr = make a vibrant noise, of grasshoppers or cicadas
- meow / mew = cry like a cat
- quack = utter quacking noises
- hoot = utter the characteristic sound of owls
- cronk / honk = cry like a goose
- sibilate / hiss / siss / sizz = make a sharp hissing sound, as if to show disapproval
- sibilate = utter a sibilant
- hee-haw / bray = braying characteristic of donkeys
- squeal / oink = utter a high-pitched cry, characteristic of pigs
- clack / click / cluck = make a clucking sounds, characteristic of hens
- low / moo = make a low noise, characteristic of bovines
- cackle = squawk shrilly and loudly, characteristic of hens
- gobble = make a gurgling sound, characteristic of turkeys
- whicker / nicker / whinny / neigh = make a characteristic sound, of a horse
- gargle = utter with gargling or burbling sounds
- caw = utter a cry, characteristic of crows, rooks, or ravens
- mew = utter a high-pitched cry, as of seagulls
- haw = utter `haw'
- hem = utter `hem' or `ahem'
- croak / cronk = utter a hoarse sound, like a raven
- sing = to make melodious sounds
- smack = press (the lips) together and open (the lips) noisily, as in eating
- give = emit or utter
Alternative definition of the verb emit
- [transitive] To send out or give off.
- synonym: outsend
Emit is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, North Carolina, at the intersction North Carolina Highway 39, and North Carolina Highway 231. It lies at an elevation of 285 feet.
Emit is a musical group.
- albums: "A Sword of Death for the Prince", "The Dark Bleeding", "Lost in the Unknown Dark", "Unknown Presences Whisper", "A Vision of 1682", "The Divine Eye / Pestilence 1440", "Abortions", "Solipsistic Culmination"
EMIT is a record label.
- Emit is a fictional character from the 2010 film Baby.
- Emit is a fictional character from Tempus Fugit.
"Emit" is a musical album of Chris Speed.
- released in (16 years ago)
"Emit" is a short film, directed by J S Mayank.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genres: Comedy, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Experimental film
- released in
"Emit" is an adventure sound novel video game released for the Super Famicom developed and published by Koei. It was designed to teach Japanese students more about English, and played the audio CD back at particular times using a peripheral called Voice-Kun, an IR emitter that could command the CD to change tracks and play them.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Koei
- genres: Visual novel, Adventure game
- publisher: Koei
- released on (20 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Emit
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Russell E. Erbes
The potential to emit is that quantity of emissions that would occur under maximum design capacity except as constrained by federally enforceable conditions...
Simply stated, the potential to emit is the amount of emissions "after controls.
by Ford Lumban Gaol
The system is called EMIT and is a data capture and analysis system developed by Cell-Life. The system was developed to allow data capture from different devices into a central database, from which analysis of data would be performed to ...
25th International Conference, ICATPN 2004, Bologna, Italy, June 21-25, 2004, Proceedings by Jordi Cortadella, Wolfgang Reisig
EMiT is a tool that imports event logs using a standard XML format as input. Using an extended version of the α-algorithm [3,8] it can discover the underlying process model and represent it in terms of a Petri net. This Petri net is then visualized ...
emit is that by other states following the example of the more successful a fairly uniform and satisfactory policy is adopted by all. Each state as a rule does, and ought to do, its share of ...
The Readable Dictionary (1860)
by John Williams (of Lancaster, O.)
l'o SNAP is to emit a small, shar sound like that caused by the su - den breaking of a brittle stick. To ExPLonn is to burst with a loud sound. (L. ezplodo [explosum], to utter a burst of loud sound.) Explosion is, 1. The act of bursting with a loud ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
former kind are the Bolognian phosphorus, Can- of the phosphori are, that they emit light of mi- ton's phosphorus, the phosphori from earths, &c. ny different and most beautiful colours. This dif- Of the latter kind, are rotten wood, the ikins of ...
An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland, ed. by A.W. Morant (1874)
by Alfred William W. Morant
HEADS emit. Beasta emit. (Leopards) emit. ley, living temp. Edward III, with Margaret, dan. and lieirof Gilbert Winninglon. Morley, Sussex, W. Sa. three leopard's faces or jessant-de-lis arg. Mori.ev, Glynde, Sussex ; quartering Win- nington, ...
A Rhyming Dictionary (1824)
Answering at the Same Time, the Purposes of Spelling and Pronouncing the English Language ... [with] an Index of Allowable Rhymes by John Walker
Topour To emit liquids; to rain heavily, pronounced poor, v.
In which Not Only the Meaning of Every Word is Explained, and the Sound of Every Syllable Distinctly Shown, But, where Words are Subject to Different Pronunciations, the Reasons for Each are Duly Considered, and the Best Pronunciation is Selected by John Walker
The mutes emit no sound without a vowel, as b, p, t, d, k, and c and g hard. The semi-vowels emit a sound without a vowel, as f, v, s, z, x, g soft or j. The liquids flow into, or easily unite with the mutes, THE PRINCIPLES OF ENGLISH ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Emit
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Emit
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mujerendiagonal
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Emit
Click on an item to play that video:
- Emit Meaning
Video shows what emit means. To send out or give off.. emit pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. emit meaning. Powered by ...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from a Superhero/villain - Revoke, Emit, Disperse
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word(s) of the Day - Revoke, Emit, Disperse.
- ESL for Beginners - English without Translation - Lesson 141 - disperse, emerge, emit etc.
SCRIPT device A calculator is an example of a device. A camera is an example of a device. disperse Blocks are dispersed on the ground. Leaves are dispersed ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Emit!
Quotes about Emit
Scrabble value of E1M3I1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of EMIT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Emit!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Emit to see it in context!