Dash appears in the following tongue twister:
- Give me the gift of a grip-top sock,
A clip drape shipshape tip top sock.
Not your spinslick slapstick slipshod stock,
But a plastic, elastic grip-top sock.
None of your fantastic slack swap slop
From a slap dash flash cash haberdash shop.
Not a knick knack knitlock knockneed knickerbocker sock
With a mock-shot blob-mottled trick-ticker top clock.
Not a supersheet seersucker rucksack sock,
Not a spot-speckled frog-freckled cheap sheik's sock
Off a hodge-podge moss-blotched scotch-botched block.
Nothing slipshod drip drop flip flop or glip glop
Tip me to a tip top grip top sock.
(articulation warmup for actors)
Dash appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Dash sin if I finish sad.
- Stacy, moths add dash to my cats.
- "Dash to bet or win," I wrote, "Both sad."
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dash:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb dash:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun dash
- Definition of the verb dash
- Other definitions of dash
- Phrases with Dash
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dash
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dash
- Photos about Dash
- Video language resources about Dash
- Quotes about Dash
- Scrabble value of D2A1S1H4
- Anagrams of DASH
- Share this page
The word dash is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dash
What does dash mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dashes
- distinctive and stylish elegance
- a quick run
- a footrace run at top speed
- a punctuation mark (-) used between parts of a compound word or between the syllables of a word when the word is divided at the end of a line of text
- the longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of dash: dah
- more generic terms: radiotelegraphic signal / telegraphic signal = a signal transmitted by telegraphy
- part of: international Morse code / Morse / Morse code = a telegraph code in which letters and numbers are represented by strings of dots and dashes
- the act of moving with great haste
Alternative definition of the noun dash
- [typography] Any of the following symbols: ‒ (figure dash), – (en dash), — (em dash), or ― (horizontal bar).
- hypernyms: punctuation mark
- A short run.
- A small quantity of a liquid substance; less than 1/8 of a teaspoon.
- A dashboard.
- One of the two symbols of Morse code.
Specialised definition of the noun dash
Glossary of sports / athletics
the former name for a sprint (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb dash
What does dash mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: dashed | dashing | dashes
- run or move very quickly or hastily
- example: She dashed into the yard
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, glide, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slither, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, sweep, swerve, swim, tack, tear, tiptoe, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, vault, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of dash: dart / flash / scoot / scud / shoot
- more generic terms: belt along / bucket along / cannonball along / hasten / hie / hotfoot / pelt along / race / rush / rush along / speed / step on it = move hurridly
- more specific word: plunge = dash violently or with great speed or impetuosity
- break into pieces, as by striking or knocking over
- hurl or thrust violently
- examples: He dashed the plate against the wall | Waves were dashing against the rock
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Instrument] against / on [Patient] Paula hit the stick against/on the fence [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Paula hit the ball | Paula spanked the child | Paula swatted the fly [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Paul kicked the door open | Paula bit the bag open | They spanked him dead [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Paul hit the door open with his foot | Paula swatted the fly dead with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Paul hit the window to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Paul hit the window to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Paula hit the ball with a stick | Paula spanked the child with her right hand | Paula swatted the fly with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Paula hit the sticks together [Instrument - concrete object] [Verb] [Patient] The stick hit the fence [Instrument - concrete object] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The stick hit the door open [Instrument - concrete object] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] The hammer hit the window to pieces
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of dash: crash
- more generic words: cast / hurl / hurtle = throw forcefully
- destroy or break
- cause to lose courage
- add an enlivening or altering element to
Alternative definition of the verb dash
- [intransitive] To run quickly or for a short distance.
- [intransitive, informal] To leave or depart.
- [transitive] To destroy by striking (against).
- [transitive] To throw violently.
- [transitive] To sprinkle; to splatter.
- [transitive, of hopes or dreams] To ruin; to destroy.
- [transitive] To dishearten; to sadden.
- [transitive] To complete hastily, usually with down or off.
- To draw quickly; jot
Other definitions of dash
What does dash also mean?
- [euphemistic] Damn!
- Dash is a boutique clothing and accessory chain founded in 2006 by the Kardashian sisters. As of 2014, the chain has three locations in the United States.
- official website: www.shopdashonline.com
- Dash a.k.a. Dash Navigation: Dash Express is the smartest Internet-connected automotive navigation system on the road. In fact, it's the first and only navigation system with built-in two-way connectivity. Which means it gets you where you want to go—in the fastest time possible—and delivers the most relevant information—right to your dashboard. Plus, Dash Express is the only device on the market that automatically and wirelessly updates its software and features, so all you have to do is drive.
- read more about Dash Navigation
- Dash is a record label.
- Dash a.k.a. Darren Shahlavi: Darren Majian Shahlavi, sometimes credited as Shahlavi, is an English actor and martial artist. His surname is of Persian origin.
- read more about Darren Shahlavi (martial artist)
- Dash a.k.a. Dash Mihok: Dashiell "Dash" Mihok is an American actor, most well known for playing "Bunchy" Donovan in the Showtime drama, Ray Donovan.
- read more about Dash Mihok (actor)
- Dash a.k.a. Jonathan Stewart: Jonathan Creon Stewart is an American football running back for the Carolina Panthers of the NFL. He was selected by the Panthers in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Oregon.
- read more about Jonathan Stewart
- Dash a.k.a. Dashiell Cooper is the son of Sheryl Cooper and Alice Cooper.
- read more about Dashiell Cooper
- Dash a.k.a. Dashiell Wolf is an actor.
- read more about Dashiell Wolf (actor)
- Dash a.k.a. Thomas Alva Edison Jr. is the son of Thomas Edison.
- read more about Thomas Alva Edison Jr.
- Dash a.k.a. Diana Carr is an actress.
- read more about Diana Carr (actress)
- Dash a.k.a. Desmond Tam is a musical artist.
- read more about Desmond Tam
- Dash a.k.a. Pedro Caropreso is a musical artist.
- read more about Pedro Caropreso
- Dash is a musical group.
- album: "Si"
- Dash is a musical group.
- Dash was a King Charles spaniel owned by Queen Victoria. Victoria's biographer Elizabeth Longford, called him "the Queen's closest childhood companion", and in the words of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, he "was the first in a long line of beloved little dogs".
- born in (186 years ago)
- died in (176 years ago)
- Dash, who was U.S. First Lady Caroline Harrison's dog, was a mixed breed collie. It was reported that he was always wanting to play with his owner, but Harrison couldn't because he feared his colleagues would think of him as less of a man.
- Dash was a dog owned by Charles Lamb.
- Dash is a Siberian Husky dog.
- read more about Dash (film actor)
There are other animals with in their name, like Just A Dash.
- Dash is a fictional character from the 2004 film The Incredibles.
- Dash is a fictional character from The Railway Series books written by the Reverend Wilbert Vere Awdry and his son, Christopher Awdry, and the spin-off children's television series, Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends.
- Dash is a fictional character from the 2008 film Hush.
- Dash is a fictional character from the 2012 film Dragon Eyes.
- Dash is a fictional character in the various Transformers universes.
- Dash is a fictional film character.
"Dash" a.k.a. "Hidalgo" is a 2004 film based on the legend of the American distance rider Frank Hopkins and his mustang Hidalgo, and recounts Hopkins' racing his horse in Arabia in 1891 against Bedouin riding pure-blooded Arabian horses. The movie was written by John Fusco and directed by Joe Johnston. It stars Viggo Mortensen, Zuleikha Robinson, and Omar Sharif.
- read more about Hidalgo
"Dash" is a musical album of Sissy Spacek.
- released in (4 years ago)
Dash is a culinary measure.
There are other foods with Dash in their name, like Keebler Club Dash of Salt Crackers.
- Dash: A dash is a punctuation mark that is similar to a hyphen or minus sign, but differs from both of these symbols primarily in length and function. The most common versions of the dash are the en dash and the em dash, named for the length of a typeface's lower-case n and upper-case M respectively.
- also known as 连接号
- Dash a.k.a. Darkcoin is an open source peer-to-peer cryptocurrency that uses a system called Darksend to add privacy to transactions.
- DASH: Driving Alexandria Safely Home is the public bus system for the city of Alexandria, Virginia, operated by the Alexandria Transit Company, a non-profit organization wholly owned by the city.
- official website: www.dashbus.com
- Dash is an Oriya Brahmin surname who belongs to Utkala Brahmins. Some of them write Dash-Sharma. They are settled throughout Orissa and follow mainly the Shrauta tradition of Hinduism and any form of Vishnu as Kuladevata. A minority of Oriya Brahmins sometimes use the shorter form 'Das'. The shorter surname Das is more commonly a Kayastha surname in Orissa and West Bengal. So all family surnames ending as Dash indicate Brahmin ancestry in Orissa, while Das could be of Brahmin ancestry.
- Dash a.k.a. Dash! is a Japanese manga anthology comprising two stories written and illustrated by Isaku Natsume. It is licensed for sale in North America by Digital Manga Publishing, which released the manga on 25 November 2007.
- The Dash Engine is a game engine developed by Circular Studios since February 2014. The primary purpose of the Dash Engine is to combine the programmer-facing model of XNA and MonoGame with the designer-friendliness of Unity in a fully free and open source engine.
- Dash a.k.a. Sony Dash: The Dash is a device manufactured by Sony that connects using Wi-Fi to the Internet. It has a touch screen which the user can use to browse information or listen to music. It is not a portable device since it does not have an internal battery. It is positioned as a personal internet viewer which can act as an alarm clock, Internet radio, digital photo frame and many other uses. It has applications which can be downloaded onto the device. These are the same as those supported by the Chumby device.
- read more about Sony Dash
- Dash a.k.a. THE TETSUWAN DASH is TV program.
- Dash a.k.a. DASH!!!! is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Dash
Phrases starting with the word Dash:
Phrases ending with the word Dash:
- Em Dash
- En Dash
- Long Dash
- Wave dash
- Black Dash
- Cut a Dash
- swung dash
- Figure Dash
- Pebble Dash
- Trolley Dash
- To Cut a Dash
Other phrases containing the word Dash:
View more phrases with the word Dash in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dash
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Local Search Approach by Jörg Hoffmann
A dash means that no plan was found after 5 minutes. An empty entry means that the planner could not be run on the respective task. Some domain names are abbreviated in order to fit the figure into the page without making it too tiny to read .
by Susan Lake, Karen Bean May
Em and En Dashes An en dash is a line the width of the capital letter N in whatever font and point size being used; it is used in ranges of numbers, letters, or dates. An en dash is a line the width of the capital letter N in whatever font and point ...
A Clinical Reasoning and Problem-Solving Approach by Brenda M. Coppard, Helene Lohman
DASH is a condition-specific tool. The DASH consists of 30...
Rather, the merit of the DASH is the information obtained is about the client's functional abilities. An interview...
The DASH is an objective means of measuring client outcomes when re-administered following orthosis provision or other treatment interventions.
by Susan Lake, Karen Bean May
Em dash An em dash is a line the width of the capital letter "M" in whatever font and point size are being used. It indicates a break in thought. Em space An em space is a space the width of a capital letter "M" in the font and point size being ...
by Charles A. Rockwood Jr., Frederick A. Matsen III, Michael A. Wirth, Steven B. Lippitt, Edward V Fehringer, John W Sperling
DASH is the third most commonly used upper extremity outcome measure in publications over the last 2 years, after the Constant Murley and the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES) scores.16 The DASH is a patient- administered, ...
The Motor Way (1905)
the dash is a storage space, which may be locked, if so desired. The new tonneau car, with King of the Belgians type of body, is an easy appearing vehicle. The exterior body lines possess numerous graceful curves, the side entrances to the ...
by Benjamin Franklin V
Dash performed locally with the ...
Based on the Foundation Laid by Noah Webster and Other Lexicographers
to dash to split or rend into ...
An A-Z of Alcoholic Beverages by Ned Halley
Over ice stir 2 parts dry gin, 1 dry vermouth, 1 sweet vermouth, 1 dash grenadine, 1 dash orange bitters. Strain and add cocktail cherry to glass.
With Illustrations from English Literature and Colloquial English, Tr. Into Hindustani by S. W. Fallon
Dash, v. a. 1. throw with violence or haste, takra.na ; patakna ; de marna. To dash against the ground. Zamin pe de marna ; dhartl pe patak dena. 2. put to sham'., confound, lajana ; sharma- na ; pasheman k. ; gira d. ; dabana, ; ghatana.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dash
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dash
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jmrodri
This is in Adrian's speed demon of a Corolla.
Photo credit: Tom Newby Photography
Photo credit: wildxplorer
Photo credit: Jamiecat *
The train is off! And so is this Tanzanian boy!
Photo credit: string_bass_dave
6 Weeks Old
Photo credit: mbs1219
- Warrior Dash
SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
- Warrior Dash Obstacle
SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
- Warrior Dash Costumes
SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: JSF539
- DODGE DASH
Photo credit: BRAYDAWG
- Beach dash
Newly hatched turtles heading for the ocean.
Photo credit: van Ort
- A dash of white
Photo credit: Infomastern
View more pictures about Mrs. Dash.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Dash
Click on an item to play that video:
- FIRST 2.0 LEVEL! - "The Meaning" by VFG - Geometry Dash
Yeah, hope you can live with that. Geometry Dash Facebook page...
- VW dash warning lights - Yellow - "How to identify/check the meaning"
How to check the meaning of a Yellow warning light on your VW dash.
- VW dash warning lights - Red - "How to identify/check the meaning"
How to check the meaning of a Red warning light on your VW dash.
- VW dash warning lights - Green - "How to identify/check the meaning"
How to check the meaning of a green warning light on your VW dash.
- Pebble dash Meaning
Video shows what pebble dash means. A coating of small pebbles sprayed on to soft plaster, used as decoration on exterior walls.. Pebble dash Meaning.
- Geometry Dash - "The Meaning" by VFG
- Dash Explanation
- Geometry dash Explanation
- The Meaning | Geometry Dash | By VFG
The Meaning | Geometry Dash | By VFG...
- PHP Regular Expressions Tutorial - Positioning and meaning of dash(-) inside character class
- Geometry Dash / The Meaning
by VFG very easy level.
- Geometry Dash | The Meaning (New and Improved)
Geometry Dash | The Meaning (New and Improved)...
- Geometry Dash - Infinite Definition - 23 Percent - Awesome Level
- Geometry Dash - Infinite Definition - New Scure
- Dash cherry Meaning
Video shows what dash cherry means. the red rotating light put on a police car's dashboard to indicate an emergency.. Dash cherry Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- The definition of insanity | Geomotry Dash
- Hip Dash Calculator Explanation | Hipdash by Eyefire
- GEOMETRY DASH 2.0 CHANGELOG - Description
Here you have the Changelog! Hey everyone! Here are some patch notes for 2.0. It's not complete, but most big features should be there Update 2.0: - New level ...
- Gs8000 Dash Cam Language to English Walkthru
Shows how to change out the language to english for the gs8000 dash cam.
- HD Dash Cam Language Options
How to change language options can be frustrating if you can't read chinese. Watch video and follow along.
- Smash 4 Advanced Tech: Dash Grab Cancel Glide Toss (CHECK DESCRIPTION)
This video showcases Mega Man's ability to psuedo wavedash, or Dash grab cancel glide toss(DGCGT) . The way to do it is as follows: Dash, Z(Grab), C stick ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Dash!
Quotes about Dash
Scrabble value of D2A1S1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DASH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Dash!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dash to see it in context!