On this page:
Definition of the noun craniate
What does craniate mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: craniates
- animals having a bony or cartilaginous skeleton with a segmented spinal column and a large brain enclosed in a skull or cranium
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of craniate: vertebrate
- more generic word: chordate = any animal of the phylum Chordata having a notochord or spinal column
- more specific terms:
- foetus / fetus = an unborn or unhatched vertebrate in the later stages of development showing the main recognizable features of the mature animal
- Amniota = higher vertebrates (reptiles, birds and mammals) possessing an amnion during development
- amniote = any member of the Amniota
- aquatic vertebrate = animal living wholly or chiefly in or on water
- gnathostome = a vertebrate animal possessing true jaws
- bird = warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- amphibian = cold-blooded vertebrate typically living on land but breeding in water
- reptilian / reptile = any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Reptilia including tortoises, turtles, snakes, lizards, alligators, crocodiles, and extinct forms
- mammalian / mammal = any warm-blooded vertebrate having the skin more or less covered with hair
- tetrapod = a vertebrate animal having four feet or legs or leglike appendages
- belly = the underpart of the body of certain vertebrates such as snakes or fish
- tail = the posterior part of the body of a vertebrate especially when elongated and extending beyond the trunk or main part of the body
- caudal appendage = tail especially of a mammal posterior to and above the anus
- costa / rib = any of the 12 pairs of curved arches of bone extending from the spine to or toward the sternum in humans
- pectus / thorax / chest = the part of the human torso between the neck and the diaphragm or the corresponding part in other vertebrates
- pedal extremity / vertebrate foot = the extremity of the limb in vertebrates
- dactyl / digit = a finger or toe in human beings or corresponding body part in other vertebrates
- member of: Craniata / subphylum Craniata / subphylum Vertebrata / Vertebrata = fishes; amphibians; reptiles; birds
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for craniate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Pronunciation, Derivation, and Definition of Terms in Biology, Botany, Zoology, Anatomy, Cytology, Embryology, Physiology by Isabella Ferguson Henderson, William Dawson Henderson
craniate (krä'nlât) a. [Gk. kranion, the head.] Having a skull ( zool.). craniotomy (krä'nlöTöjl) я. [Gk. kranion, the head ; logos, discourse.] ...
A Dictionary of Science (2017)
by Jonathan Law
Any jawless craniate animal. Living examples are the lampreys and hagfishes, although the evolutionary relationships of these two groups are still unclear. In one scheme the hagfishes and lampreys are regarded as sister groups of the same ...
Encyclopedia of Biology (2016)
by CTI Reviews
gillbearing aquatic craniate animals that lack limbs with digits. Included in this definition are the living hagfish, lampreys, and cartilaginous and bony fish, as well as various extinct related groups. Most fish are ectothermic ('coldblooded'), ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
large branch of the animal kingdom, of which the characteristic members are mammals, birds, reptiles, batrachians, fish and cyclostomes, the craniate vertebrates of modern zoology. These include all the animals which possess “ vertebrae," ...
by Elizabeth Owen, Eve Daintith
endoskeleton A skeleton that occurs inside the animal body, such as the bony or cartilaginous skeleton of vertebrates (see craniate). It is comprised of a skull, vertebral column, pectoral and pelvic girdles, ribs, ...
A Dictionary of Biology (2015)
by Elizabeth Martin, Robert Hine
agnathan Any jawless craniate animal.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for craniate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about craniate
If you need images about craniate for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about craniate
Video shows what craniate means. Any member of the clade Craniata bearing bony skulls.. Craniate Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
Scrabble value of C3R1A1N1I1A1T1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CRANIATE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of craniate!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of craniate to find many related words and phrases!