The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective cowardly and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective cowardly
- Definition of the adverb cowardly
- Phrases with cowardly
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for cowardly
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for cowardly
- Photos about cowardly
- Video about cowardly
- Quotes about cowardly
- Scrabble value of C3O1W4A1R1D2L1Y4
- Share this page
The word cowardly is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective cowardly
What does cowardly mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more cowardly / most cowardly
- lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted
- example: cowardly dogs, ye will not aid me then
- synonym of cowardly: fearful
- antonym of cowardly: brave
- similar: caitiff; chicken / chickenhearted / lily-livered / white-livered / yellow / yellow-bellied; craven / recreant; dastard / dastardly; faint / faint-hearted / fainthearted / timid; funky; poltroon; poor-spirited / pusillanimous / unmanly
- attribute: cowardliness / cowardice = the trait of lacking courage
- see also: afraid; timid; ignoble
Alternative definition of the adjective cowardly
- Showing cowardice. Lacking in courage, unacceptably fearful, usually meant with some implication of a lack of consideration for others.
Definition of the adverb cowardly
What does cowardly mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- In the manner of a coward.
Phrases with cowardly
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for cowardly
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Matatʻeay Petrosean
bad, wicked, vile, low; cowardly, weak, pusillanimous, dastardly, craven-hearted, unmanly, poor- or mean-spirited ; idle, lazy, slothful, sluggish; «. damage, loss, hurt, ruin, misfort infamy, brand of infamy; - шрш%д , the most ...
The Imperial Dictionary (1863)
English, Technological, and Scientific by John Ogilvie
To render cowardly. CO WAR DIZED, pp. Rendered cowardly. Rendering cowardly. COW' ARDLIKE, a. coward; mean. COWARDLINESS, n. Want of courage; timidity; cowardice.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for cowardly
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about cowardly
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Tom Hilton
View more pictures about Cowardly Lion.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about cowardly
Video shows what cowardly means. In the manner of a coward.. Cowardly Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say cowardly.
View more videos about Cowardly Lion.
See also the pronunciation examples of cowardly!
Quotes about cowardly
It is not cowardly, quite the contrary, to seek to meet the adversary and know his intentions. However, it is cowardly, shameful and treasonable to lay down arms. (King Hassan II)
more quotes about cowardly...
Scrabble value of C3O1W4A1R1D2L1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of cowardly to see it in context!