On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun couturier
What does couturier mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: couturiers
- someone who designs clothing
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of couturier: clothes designer / designer / fashion designer
- more generic word: creator = a person who grows or makes or invents things
- more specific terms: costume designer / costumier / costumer = someone who designs or supplies costumes
- Cristobal Balenciaga / Balenciaga = Spanish fashion designer known for his stark elegant designs
- Christian Dior / Dior = French couturier whose first collection in 1947 created a style that became known as the New Look
- Calvin Richard Klein / Calvin Klein / Klein = United States fashion designer noted for understated fashions
- Elsa Schiaparelli / Schiaparelli = fashion designer born in Italy who was noted for her use of synthetic materials and brilliant colors
- Gianni Versace / Versace = Italian fashion designer
- Charles Frederick Worth / Worth = French couturier (born in England) regarded as the founder of Parisian haute couture
Alternative definition of the noun couturier
- a person who designs haute couture
- a company that is owned by, or employs such a person; a fashion house
Couturier is a fictional character from the 1995 film Cold Comfort Farm.
Couturier: A couturier is an establishment or person involved in the clothing fashion industry who makes original garments to order for private clients. A couturier may make what is known as haute couture. Such a person usually hires patternmakers and machinists for garment production, and is either employed by exclusive boutiques or is self-employed.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Couturier
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Морской техническій словарь ... Polyglot Naval Technical Dictionary ... Dictionnaire Technique Polyglotte des termes de la Marine, etc. Pt. 1., livr. 1-5. Eng., Fr. and Russ (1863)
by Andrei Mikhailovich ENGEL
говорить генералъ Лекутюрье (Le Couturier) въ предисловли нъ своему военному словарю ('), «n'est pas de sa nature une oeuvre de génie; sa rédaction n'exige pas de méditations profondes; la netteté des idées, la justesse des ...
Military Dictionary (1861)
by H. L. Scott
Couturier. — Dictionnaire Portatif et Raisonné. Par le Général Le Couturier. Paris, 1825. De Hart. — Courts-martial.
by Francesca Sterlacci, Joanne Arbuckle
In the haute couture tradition, a female designer is known as a couturière, while a male designer is a couturier. Described as the authority in regard to clothing that is luxurious and original in concept, couturiers and couturiers began receiving ...
by Mary Brooks Picken
the words “couturier,” “couturière” are usually used in reference to important dressmakers of Paris. coverall (kŭv′rôl; cuver all). Onepiece garment worn over a dress to protect it. Women's overalls are often called coveralls. coverchief ...
Catholic Encyclopedia (1912)
and Jean Couturier (1731 —70), although new seminaries were opened in-the dioceses of France, the spirit of the age crept into that of Paris, in consequence of. was, as it were, an appeal ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Couturier
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Couturier
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Couturier
Video shows what couturier means. A person who designs haute couture (high fashion).. A company that is owned by, or employs such a person; a fashion ...
Scrabble value of C3O1U1T1U1R1I1E1R1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COUTURIER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Couturier!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Couturier to see it in context!