The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun counselling:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun counselling
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Counselling
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Counselling
- Photos about Counselling
- Video language resources about Counselling
- Quotes about Counselling
- Scrabble value of C3O1U1N1S1E1L1L1I1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun counselling
What does counselling mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: counsellings / counselling (less preferred form)
- something that provides direction or advice as to a decision or course of action
- examples: If you sum up feminist counselling in a few words, I suppose it would be counselling done from a woman's standpoint. | "I'm going to see your father today, about career counselling." "You don't need to bother with that."
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- alternative spelling: counseling
- synonyms of counselling: counsel / direction / guidance
- more generic terms: content / message / subject matter / substance = what a communication that is about something is about
- more specific terms:
- guideline / road map = a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action
- career counseling = counseling on career opportunities
- cynosure = something that provides guidance
- genetic counseling = guidance for prospective parents on the likelihood of genetic disorders in their future children
- marriage counseling = counseling on marital problems and disagreements
- confidential information / steer / hint / lead / wind / tip = an indication of potential opportunity
Specialised definition of the noun counselling
Glossary of sports
a method of treating mental disorders in which a specialist talks with a person about his or her condition and how to deal with it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Counselling" is a film, directed by Geordie Sabbagh.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Counselling
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
"Counselling is a purposeful reciprocal relationship between two people in which one a trained person,
Myers has written as, "Counselling means a relationship between two persons in which one person provides special assistance to the other.
by Dr. Joseph Adebayo Awoyemi
Counselling is a non judgmental talking therapy and a helping profession the process of which enables a person or group...
by Ram Nath Sharma, Rachana Sharma
Counselling and guidance. Counselling is a part of guidance, not all of it. It is a specialised or individualised part which deals with the individual at problems points.
by Richard Velleman
Key points • Counselling is a process. As counsellors we have the task of facilitating the process.
by Helen Beckman, Suzanne E. Le Quesne
Counselling skills and the therapist Counselling is the skilled and principled use of relationships to facilitate self-knowledge, emotional...
(British Association of Counselling 1989) Counselling is a person-to-person form of communication.
Practical Theology in a Multidisciplinary Context by John Swinton, David Willows
Counselling is a growth industry.
counselling tends towards coerciveness (4) ' non-directive' counselling is the very antithesis of what Christian pastoral ministry is about with the result that distinctive features of that ministry are overlooked.
by John McLeod
Counselling is an interdisciplinary activity, which contains different traditions and schools of thought, and spreads itself...
Counselling is a practical activity, and can only be grasped through the experience of doing it, as client and counsellor.
A Harm Reduction Approach by Berry Beaumont
Brian Whitehead Counselling is a systematic process which gives individuals an opportunity to explore, discover and clarify ways of living more resourcefully...
Counselling is an important adjunct to other treatments in the care of drug users.
by Adam Kuper, Jessica Kuper
The recognition and awareness of the existence of post-traumatic stress, for example, demonstrated the need to develop specific and focused psychological counselling intervention. Importandy, the helping relationship itself is seen as a ...
by Jeanne Mager Stellman
There are two aspects of tertiary prevention which organizations can consider: Counselling Organizations can provide access to confidential professional counselling services for employees who are experiencing problems in the workplace or ...
At Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, James Cockroft, Thomas Edward O'Brien
charged with murder, by then and there counselling, advising and secreting said witness, SFPerrzrw, to remain away from and absent himself as a witness on behalf of said f. f. Gosr, when said case was called for trial in aforesaid court, and ...
Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents for Pleading and Practice, at Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts (1901)
by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, Thomas Edward O'Brien, James Cockcroft
Goss, charged with murder, by then and there counselling, advising and secreting said witness, S.F. Perroiv, to remain away from and absent himself as a witness on behalf of saidy. J. Goss, when said case was called for trial in aforesaid ...
for Nurses and Healthcare Workers by Barbara F. Weller
Treatment includes counselling and maybe antidepressant drugs. See baby blues. P. exercises taught to the mother by the midwife or physiotherapist during the puerperium to strengthen the pelvic floor and abdominal muscles but also ...
by Chris Brooker
psychosexual counselling usually sought by one ...
by Edmund Heery, Mike Noon
Typically such techniques wouldinclude teamworking, functional flexibility, empowerment, employee development, appraisal, counselling, and performancerelatedpay. The term HPWPis particularly associated with research undertaken by ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Counselling
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Counselling
Click on an item to view that photo:
Essentials of Counselling
Photo credit: Alkan de Beaumont Chaglar
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Counselling
Click on an item to play that video:
- Unit 7 - Pastoral Counselling - Narrative Therapy and Meaning - Neil Soggie DMin, DLitPhil, PhD
Unit 7 - Pastoral Counselling Narrative Therapy and Meaning Neil Soggie DMin, DLitPhil, PhD.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Counselling services
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Guidance and counselling services
- What is domestic violence counselling - spoken in Farsi language.
- A description of counselling victoria
See also the pronunciation examples of Counselling!
Quotes about Counselling
No sooner she in blossoms
Than she in withers white
Hurt and left forlorn
Failed my counselling even
But her examined heart
When murmured 'wary compost'
Shattered still more
Were petals of Peace
As if along a lethal march (Indira Renganathan)
more quotes about counselling...
Scrabble value of C3O1U1N1S1E1L1L1I1N1G2
The value of this 11-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Counselling to see it in context!