On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun coon
What does coon mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: coons
- an eccentric or undignified rustic
- North American raccoon
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Procyon nanus / species Procyon nanus / Procyon priscus / species Procyon priscus / Procyon lotor
- synonyms of coon: common raccoon / common racoon / ringtail
- more generic words: raccoon / racoon = an omnivorous nocturnal mammal native to North America and Central America
- geographic area: Europe & Northern Asia (excluding China), Middle America, North America, South America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun coon
- [informal, chiefly Southern US] A raccoon.
- [context: racial slur] A black person.
- [informal, South Africa] A person who is a member of a colourfully dressed dancing troupe in Cape Town during New Year celebrations.
- A coonass.
Definition of the verb coon
What does coon mean as a doing word?
- [context: Southern US, colloquial] To hunt racoons.
- [context: Southern US, colloquial] To crawl while straddling, especially in crossing a creek.
- [context: Georgia, colloquial] To fish by noodling, by feeling for large fish in underwater holes.
- [African American Vernacular English] For an African American, to play the dated stereotype of a black fool for an audience, particularly including Caucasians.
- [context: Southern US, colloquial, dated] To steal.
Coon is a town in Vernon County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 683 at the 2000 census.
- Coon a.k.a. Coön: In Greek mythology, Coön, also known as Cynon, was the eldest son of Antenor who, like most of his brothers, fought and fell in the Trojan War. In the Iliad, he confronted Agamemnon over the body of his brother Iphidamas and wounded the opponent in the arm, but Agamemnon struck back and chopped Coon's head off. The fight between Agamemnon and Coon was depicted on the chest of Cypselus according to Pausanias.
- Coon is a website.
- official website: stateofillinois.us/people/Coon
Phrases with Coon
Phrases starting with the word Coon:
Phrases ending with the word Coon:
Other phrases containing the word Coon:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Coon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Didier Hallépée
Whatever its origin may be, the Main Coon is a remarkable adaptation of a race of cats with semi-long hair to the specific conditions of the Maine forests, an adaptation which caused the changes necessary for them to take better advantage of ...
by Dean M. Warren
The Maine Coon is considered lovable and friendly and enjoys the companionship of another pet or person. The breed has a tiny voice with squeaks and chirps. See Figure 8–34. The Maine Coon is a large cat, often reaching 12 to 18 pounds.
Maine Coon Cats (1996)
by Stuart A. Kallen
The Maine coon is an affectionate cat Most cats share the same features. Cats are meat eaters.
Coon is an easily angered Maine Coon who specializes in swimming.2568 Minky is a Tonkinese who befriends ...
by Spencer Weber Waller, Neil B. Cohen, Paul Finkelman
Guldman argues that u is: Basehall is a trae American spon, just as the Supreme Coon is an essemial American institotion, and the reach of hasehall in American life is eatensive. Not all justices wariam an emry in the quiz. "Just like hasehall ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
on the railways, to travel over the tops of goods wagons while a train ismoving US,1975 coon-assnoun a resident of Louisiana; a Cajun. Often, not always, considered a slur.US, 1943 coon bottom noun a poor part of town, especially one ...
by Frank Hoffmann
COON. SONGS. It is by this unfortunate designation that the record companies of the first generation referred to comic songs in African-American dialect. Many of the singers were in fact white men and women; the popularity of such material ...
An Encyclopedia of Swearing (2015)
The Social History of Oaths, Profanity, Foul Language, and Ethnic Slurs in the English-speaking World by Geoffrey Hughes
Coon has had an unpredictable semantic history, largely but not exclusively confined to the United States. Supposedly derived from raccoon, the abbreviated form was current from at least 1742. Originally a term for a white rustic, from the ...
by Grace C. Keroher
sand member in southern Tennessee: "Ferruginous clay horizon" immediately below the NcNairy and a "Coon Creek horizon" immediately above the Selma chalk. Wade (1926 U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 137) lumped these two horizons ...
Genres: North America by John Shepherd, David Horn
Coon songs are normally in 2/4 time, consisting of a fourbar intro and two-bar vamp followed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Coon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Coon
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Coon Poop
Coon droppings were concentrated in one area (their latrine) beside Flint Creek along the shale flats. With close observation, crawdad exoskeletons and pincers can be easily seen in the feces, which indicates that crawdads are a big part of their diet here.
Photo credit: OakleyOriginals
- Man with his coon dogs
Mayhieu + coon dogs. Babe Bennett
Photo credit: simpleinsomnia
- Coon Rapid Dairy Queen
Signs outside of Coon Rapids Dairy Queen
Photo credit: Aric McKeown
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Coon
Click on an item to play that video:
- Coon Meaning
Video shows what coon means. A raccoon.. A black person.. A person who is a member of a colourfully dressed dancing troupe in Cape Town during New Year ...
- Coon's age Meaning
Video shows what coon's age means. A very long time.. coon's age synonyms: dog's age. Coon's age Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Coon cat Meaning
Video shows what coon cat means. A Maine Coon. Coon cat Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say coon cat. Powered by MaryTTS ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Coon!
Scrabble value of C3O1O1N1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COON
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Coon!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Coon to see it in context!