On this page:
- Definition of the adjective contemptible
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for contemptible
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for contemptible
- Photo about contemptible
- Video about contemptible
- Quotes about contemptible
- Scrabble value of C3O1N1T1E1M3P3T1I1B3L1E1
- Share this page
Definition of the adjective contemptible
What does contemptible mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more contemptible / most contemptible
- deserving of contempt or scorn
- examples: A man who smacks his wife around is contemptible. | When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. | Nothing is more contemptible than respect that is based on fear. | Nothing is more contemptible than respect based on fear. | It was a contemptible thing to do.
- antonym: estimable
- similar: abject / low / low-down / miserable / scummy / scurvy; bastardly / mean; pathetic / pitiable / pitiful
- see also: ignoble; unworthy
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for contemptible
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Compendium of Mistakes in Grammar, Usage, and Spelling with commentary on lexicographers and linguists by Robert Hartwell Fiske
t ɨJT XPSE XBT NPTUMZ VTFE CZ iJOw DSPXET J F QPQVMBS HSPVQT UP distinguish themselves from others who are contemptible ofbeing “popular” and show this by deliberately seeming as though they have “lost it.
by Bill Bryson
- contemptible, contemptuous / convince, persuade Those spread by air and water are infectious. Used figuratively (“contagious laughter,” “infectious enthusiasm”), either is fine. contemptible, contemptuous. Contemptible means deserving ...
Middle English Dictionary (1960)
by Hans Kurath
despicable, contemptible. (a) (cl384) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for contemptible
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about contemptible
this was taken about 40 years ago on an old 'Praktika' and printed by myself. The print is damaged. The man is in the twilight of his life: he had gone to war in 1914 underage, been captured within days of arriving, did five years in PoW camps and came back to a land without heroes.
Becoming a policeman, for years he plodded around the western Cotswolds finally doing a few years of police journalism and retiring.
This was taken shortly before he went into hospital.
Photo credit: kewfriend
Video about contemptible
Video shows what contemptible means. deserving contempt. Contemptible Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say contemptible.
Quotes about contemptible
Scrabble value of C3O1N1T1E1M3P3T1I1B3L1E1
The value of this 12-letter word is 20 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of contemptible to see it in context!