The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb coif:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun coif
What does coif mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: coifs
- the arrangement of the hair (especially a woman's hair)
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of coif: coiffure / hair style / hairdo / hairstyle
- more generic word: hair = a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures
- more specific terms:
- beehive = a hairdo resembling a beehive
- bouffant = a woman's hairstyle in which the hair gives a puffy appearance
- haircut = the style in which hair has been cut
- Afro hairdo / Afro = a rounded thickly curled hairdo
- fringe / bang = a border of hair that is cut short and hangs across the forehead
- bob = a hair style for women and children
- wave = a hairdo that creates undulations in the hair
- braid / plait / tress / twist = a hairdo formed by braiding or twisting the hair
- chignon = a roll of hair worn at the nape of the neck
- marcel = a hairdo characterized by deep regular waves that are made by a heated curling iron
- pageboy = a smooth hair style with the ends of the hair curled inward
- pompadour = a hair style in which the front hair is swept up from the forehead
- ponytail = a hair style that draws the hair back so that it hangs down in back of the head like a pony's tail
- roach = a roll of hair brushed back from the forehead
- scalp lock = a long tuft of hair left on top of the shaven head
- thatch = hair resembling thatched roofing material
- a skullcap worn by nuns under a veil or by soldiers under a hood of mail or formerly by British sergeants-at-law
Alternative definition of the noun coif
- A hairdo
- A hood
- A chain mail head gear
Definition of the verb coif
What does coif mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: coiffed, coiffing
- cover with a coif
- arrange attractively
- example: They coif their hair
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of coif: arrange / coiffe / coiffure / do / dress / set
- more generic words: groom / neaten = care for one's external appearance
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb coif
- [transitive] To style or arrange hair.
Coif: A coif is a close fitting cap that covers the top, back, and sides of the head.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Coif
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Guide to Drawing the Period Figure for Costume Design Students by Georgia Baker
A coif is a fitted cap that ties under the chin. Neck/Shoulder/Arm The bliaut, worn by men and women, is a tunic with a round or keyhole neckline and soft shoulders. The dolman sleeve is cut fuller at the shoulder and narrows as it tapers to the ...
An Encyclopedia of the Medieval World by Ruth A Johnston
By the late 13th century, the coif hat had evolved into a little coronet. It was an open band that could be plain, like a narrow cloth fillet, or pleated to look like a white fabric crown. The barbette under the chin could be narrow or wide. During the ...
A Cultural Encyclopedia by Beverly Chico
the white coif edged by lace was heavily starched with fluted pleating, giving the elegant effect of the sun's rays around the wearer's head. Within the department of Vendée, province of Poitou, recent interest has focused ...
by Elizabeth J. Lewandowski
Coif. cofia de tranzado: Renaissance (1450—1550 C.E.).
To which are Prefixed, Principles of English Pronunciation ... Likewise, Rules to be Observed by the Natives of Scotland, Ireland, and London, for Avoiding Their Respective Peculiarities; and Directions to Foreigners, for Acquiring a Knowledge of the Use of this Dictionary. The Whole Interspersed with Observations, Etymological, Critical, and Grammatical by John Walker
Properly Coif. Any cap with which the head is covered ; the cap of a serjeant at law.—See Coif. To reA case for arTo Quoif, kwólf, v. a. 415. To cap, to dress with a head-dress. Quoirrunz, kwolf'-tire, s. Properly Coif. fure. Head-dress. Quoit, kwoit ...
by John WALKER (the Philologist.)
Properly Coif. fure. Head-dress. QUOIT,kwbit, s. Properly Coit.415. Something thrown to a great distance to a certain point; the discus of the ancients is sometimes called in English Quoit, but improperly. ** Till the orthography of a word is fixed, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Coif
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Coif
Click on an item to view that photo:
Mild steel, flattened rings, for a classic look
Photo credit: E.Drake
- Coif, detail
Project info: Blue coif
Pattern: Shocking Pink Coif by Megan Reardon
Photo credit: edenza
- Pluvigner - 2016 - coif
Photo credit: muffinn
- Elaborate Coif from Neighboring Parish
Annual Pardon, St Ronan Parish, Locronan, Brittany, France
Photo credit: baldeaglebluff
- Crown full of Coif
Photo credit: Charkrem
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Coif
Video shows what coif means. A hairdo. A hood; a close-fitting cap covering much of the head, widespread until XVIII century; after that worn only by small ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Coif!
Quotes about Coif
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'coif"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of C3O1I1F4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COIF
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Coif!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Coif to see it in context!