The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun captain:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun captain
- Definition of the verb captain
- Phrases with Captain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Captain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Captain
- Photos about Captain
- Video language resources about Captain
- Quotes about Captain
- Scrabble value of C3A1P3T1A1I1N1
- Anagrams of CAPTAIN
- Share this page
The word captain is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun captain
What does captain mean as a name of something?
Captain is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: captains
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- the naval officer in command of a military ship
- a policeman in charge of a precinct
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of captain: police captain / police chief
- more generic terms: officer / police officer / policeman = a member of a police force
- more specific term: Chief Constable = the head of the police force in a county
- instance: Lavrenti Pavlovich Beria / Beria = Soviet chief of secret police under Joseph Stalin
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of captain: master / sea captain / skipper
- more generic terms: officer / ship's officer = a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel
- instance: Captain Kidd / William Kidd / Kidd = Scottish sea captain who was hired to protect British shipping in the Indian Ocean and then was accused of piracy and hanged
- the leader of a group of people
- the pilot in charge of an airship
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of captain: senior pilot
- more generic terms: airplane pilot / pilot = someone who is licensed to operate an aircraft in flight
- more specific term: group captain = a commissioned officer (especially one in the Royal Air Force) equivalent in rank to a colonel in the army
- a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
Alternative definition of the noun captain
- A chief or leader.
- The person lawfully in command of a ship or other vessel.
- An army officer with a rank between the most senior grade of lieutenant and major.
- A naval officer with a rank between commander and commodore.
- A commissioned officer in the United States Navy, Coast Guard, NOAA Corps, or PHS Corps of a grade superior to a commander and junior to a rear admiral (lower half). A captain is equal in grade or rank to an Army, Marine Corps, or Air Force colonel.
- One of the athletes on a sports team who designated to make decisions, and is allowed to speak for his team with a referee or official.
- The leader of a group of workers.
- A maître d'.
- [context: southern US] An honorific title given to a prominent person. See colonel.
Specialised definition of the noun captain
Glossary of sports
the leader of a team in a sport or game (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / basketball
leader of the team elected by the players or appointed by the coach
Glossary of sports / rugby union
the player in charge of a team during a match
Definition of the verb captain
What does captain mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: captained | captaining | captains
- be the captain of a sports team
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Miriam tutored her brother [Agent - being] [Verb] for [Theme] Her cousin clerked for Judge Davis
Verbs with Predicative Complements (with the same syntax): boss, bully, butcher, butler, caddy, champion, chaperone, chauffeur, clerk, coach, cox, crew, doctor, emcee, escort, guard, host, model, mother, nurse, partner, pilot, pioneer, police, referee, shepherd, skipper, sponsor, tailor, tutor, umpire, understudy, usher, valet, witness.
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- more generic words: head / lead = be in charge of
- Captain a.k.a. Vijayakanth is an Indian politician who is the current Leader of the Official Opposition of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly. Born to a Telugu Family. Prior to becoming a politician, he was a leading film actor in Tamil cinema from 1979 to 2010. He is the founder of the Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam and a Member of Legislative Assembly representing the constituency of Rishivandiyam. In films, he is credited with the title "Puratchi Kalaingar" while also commonly referred to as "captain" following the success of his film Captain Prabhakaran.
- read more about Vijayakanth (actor)
- Captain a.k.a. Lou Albano: Louis Vincent "Captain Lou" Albano was an Italian-born American professional wrestler, manager and actor. He was active as a professional wrestler from 1953 until 1969 before becoming a manager until 1995.
- read more about Lou Albano
- Captain a.k.a. Gilson Lubin is a stand-up comedian originally from Saint Lucia, West Indies. Living in Canada the comedian spent the past couple of years on the CTV programme MTV Live as a hosts/vj. Lubin's career has led to performances at Montreal's prestigious Just for Laughs festival winning a development deal with SpikeTv as well won a Canadian Comedy Award for Best Stand-up Newcomer category. Gilson has taken his act all over Canada, the United States and Caribbean while making appearances on many shows along the way such as Comedy Central, Premium Blend and was also featured in the January 2008 94th episode of HBO's Def Comedy Jam.
- read more about Gilson Lubin (comedian)
- Captain a.k.a. Björn Cederberg, nicknamed "Kapten", was a notable Swedish rally co-driver. His most famous and successful partnership was with Stig Blomqvist, in a Saab 99 Turbo, with whom he shared success in a number of international motor rallies, from 1979-1982. Later in 1982, the pair went on to rally the Audi Quattro, with which they were again very successful until 1985.
- read more about Björn Cederberg
- Captain a.k.a. Kevin Witt is an actor.
- read more about Kevin Witt (actor)
- Captain are an alternative rock band from London, England, who formed in early 2005. Influenced by groups such as The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beach Boys, My Bloody Valentine and The Cure, their music has also been compared by critics to Prefab Sprout, The Beautiful South and Deacon Blue. The band initially signed a recording contract with At Large Records and released their debut single "Frontline" with that label in December 2005. Soon after, the group signed to EMI Records and achieved minor success in 2006 with their singles "Broke" and "Glorious", which reached numbers 34 and 30 on the UK Singles Chart respectively. Their Trevor Horn produced debut album, This Is Hazelville, was released on 14 August 2006 and reached number 23 on the UK Albums Chart.
- Captain is a musical group.
- album: "More Than Simple Words"
There are other groups with in their name, like Captain Stu, Captain Ahab, Captain Capa, Captain Face, Captain Ilor, Captain Jack, Captain Soul, Captain Audio, Captain Frank, Captain's Log, Captain Beyond, Captain Frapat, Captain Genius, Captain Murphy, Captain America, Captain Darling, Captain Kennedy, Captain Mercier, Captain Phoenix and Captain Tractor.
- The Captain is a fictional character, a satiric Marvel Comics superhero appearing in the book Nextwave. He was created by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen and first appeared in Nextwave #1.
- Captain: Buinovsky is a fictional character from the book One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and appeared in the movie One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 2010 film Clash of the Titans.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1967 film Pride and Vengeance.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1984 film The Time Traveller.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1971 film Manto Mavrogenous.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 2004 film Brides.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1980 film The Blue Lagoon.
- Captain a.k.a. Taii is a fictional character from 1983 Japanese anime TV series The Super Dimension Century Orguss.
- read more about Taii
- Captain is a fictional character from Alice´s Birthday.
- Captain is a fictional film character.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1980 film Contraband.
- Captain is a fictional character from the comedy Twelfth Night, or What You Will written by William Shakespeare.
- Captain is a fictional character from 1999 film The Green Elephant.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1996 film Let's Love One Another.
- The Captain is a fictional character from Deeper Than Yesterday.
- Captain is a fictional character in the 2000 film Divided We Fall.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 2006 action film 300 and the 2008 film Meet the Spartans.
- Captain is a fictional character from the 1930 film The Blue Angel.
There are other characters with in their name, like Captain Eo, Captain Bob, Captain Ron, Gun Captain, Bell Captain, Captain Ahab, Captain Borg, Captain Cook, Captain Dyce, Captain Hook, Captain Jack, Captain Kirk, Captain Mack, Captain Nemo, Captain Raju, Flag captain, Port Captain, Post Captain.
"Captain" is a baseball manga series by Akio Chiba which ran in Monthly Shōnen Jump from 1972 to 1979.
- director: Satoshi Dezaki
- producers: Tôru Horikoshi & Masayasu Sagisu
- art direction by Moritoshi Endō
- written by Noboru Shiroyama
- edited by Toshiaki Yabuki & Masahiko Kawana
- music by Toshiyuki Kimori
- genre: Anime
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Captain" is the debut release by Scottish rock band Idlewild, released in January 1998. Although the number of tracks would normally class the release as an EP, Captain is commonly known as a mini-album. Guitarist Rod Jones notes that the album "was a sort of introduction to Idlewild.
- genre: Rock music
- released on (16 years ago)
- "Captain" a.k.a. "The Captain" is the solo debut album of Australian country music singer Kasey Chambers. The Captain won the 1999 ARIA Music Award for Best Country Album. Prior to releasing this album, Chambers had performed more than a decade with her family's Dead Ringer Band, a popular Australian country music group. The title track was featured in "He Is Risen", an episode of The Sopranos, while "The Hard Way" was featured in the season 2 episode of Lost, "Two for the Road".
- read more about The Captain
- "Captain" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- Captain: The team captain of an association football team, sometimes known as the skipper, is a team member chosen to be the on-pitch leader of the team: it is often one of the older or more experienced members of the squad, or a player that can heavily influence a game. The team captain is usually identified by the wearing of an armband.
- also known as กัปตัน (ฟุตบอล), 隊長
- Captain: In team sports, captain is a title given to a member of the team. The title is frequently honorary, but in some cases the captain may have significant responsibility for strategy and teamwork while the game is in progress on the field. In either case, it is a position that indicates honor and respect from one's teammates – recognition as a leader by one's peers.
- Captain: In the United States uniformed services, captain is a commissioned officer rank. In keeping with the traditions of the militaries of most nations, the rank varies between the services, being a senior rank in the naval services and a junior rank in the ground and air forces.
- also known as U.S. military captain
- Captain is the name most often given in English-speaking navies to the rank corresponding to command of the largest ships. The rank is equal to the army rank of colonel.
- also known as Naval captain, Ship captain
- Captain: In ice hockey, the captain is the player designated by his team as the only person authorized to speak with the game officials regarding rule interpretations when he is on the ice. At most levels of play, each team must designate one captain and a number of alternate captains who speak to the officials when the captain is on the bench. The captain wears a "C" on his jersey, while the alternate captains wear an "A".
- also known as 隊長
- Captain is a junior officer rank of the British Army and Royal Marines and in both services it ranks above lieutenant and below major with a NATO ranking code of OF-2. The rank is equivalent to a lieutenant in the Royal Navy and to a flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force. The rank of captain in the Royal Navy is considerably more senior and the two ranks should not be confused.
- Captain: In the United States Army, captain is a company grade officer rank, with the pay grade of O-3. It ranks above first lieutenant and below major. It is equivalent to the rank of lieutenant in the naval rank system. The insignia for the rank consists of two silver bars, with slight stylized differences between the Army/Air Force version and the Marine Corps version. Promotion to captain is governed by Department of Defense policies derived from the Defense Officer Personnel Management Act of 1980. DOPMA guidelines suggest 95% of first lieutenants should be promoted to captain after serving a minimum of two years at their present rank.
- Captain: In the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard, the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps, captain is the senior-most commissioned officer rank below that of flag officer. Reflecting its nautical heritage, it also sometimes used as a military "title" by more junior officers who are serving as the commanding officer of a commissioned vessel of the Navy or Coast Guard of patrol boat size or greater, while officers below O-6 commanding aviation squadrons or shore activities will use the title of "skipper.
- Captain: A captain of an Australian rules football team, sometimes known as a skipper is a player who, during the course of a match and off the field, has several additional roles and responsibilities over and above those of a regular player.
- Captain: In baseball, a captain is an honorary title sometimes given to a member of the team to acknowledge his leadership. In the early days of baseball, a captain was a player who was responsible for many of the functions now assumed by managers and coaches, such as preparing lineups, making decisions about strategy, and encouraging teamwork. In amateur or youth baseball, a manager or coach may appoint a team captain to assist in communicating with the players and to encourage teamwork and improvement.
- Captain a.k.a. The pilot in command of an aircraft is the person aboard the aircraft who is ultimately responsible for its operation and safety during flight. This would be the "captain" in a typical two- or three-pilot aircrew, or "pilot" if there is only one certified and qualified pilot at the controls of an aircraft. The PIC must be legally certified to operate the aircraft for the specific flight and flight conditions, but need not be actually manipulating the controls at any given moment. The PIC is the person legally in charge of the aircraft and its flight safety and operation, and would normally be the primary person liable for an infraction of any flight rule.
- read more about Pilot in command
- Captain is a 1999 Indian Malayalam film, directed by Nissar and produced by Anil Menon. The film stars Captain Raju, Vani Viswanath, Roopa Sri and Jagathy Sreekumar in lead roles. The film had musical score by Alleppey Ranganath.
- country: India
- Captain is a rank in the Canadian military.
- Captain is a commissioned Starfleet officer rank in the fictional Star Trek universe. According to dialog in "Behind the Lines", "Captain" is also the label given to the master of a starship, regardless of his or her actual rank. The rank first appears in Star Treks initial pilot, "The Cage", and is held by Christopher Pike, who commands the USS ''Enterprise''. Dozens of captains, both seen and unseen, have played minor and major roles throughout Star Trek's various incarnations.
- Captain is a 1994 bilingual Telugu and Tamil action film directed by Kodi Ramakrishna. The film features R. Sarathkumar, Sukanya and Ranjitha in lead roles. The film, produced by R. B. Choudary, had musical score by Sirpy and was released on 25 February 1994.
- The Captain system was a Japanese videotex system created by NTT. Announced in 1978, it was trialled from 1979 to 1981, with a second larger trial held from 1982 to 1983. The service launched commercially in 1983. It was closed on March 31, 2002. Captain differed from comparable European videotex systems by not being based on the transmission of alphanumeric characters.
- Captain: In inline hockey, each team can designate an official captain for each game. The player serving as captain during the game wears a "C" on his or her jersey.
- Captain: The person who is or was captain of this team.
Phrases with Captain
Phrases starting with the word Captain:
- captain bob
- captain cook
- captain kidd
- Captain Kirk
- captain bligh
- captain hicks
- Captain Swing
- Captain general
- captain's chair
- Captain's Servant
- captain james cook
Phrases ending with the word Captain:
- sea captain
- bell captain
- flag captain
- Fleet captain
- group captain
- Copper Captain
- police captain
- Senior captain
View more phrases with the word Captain in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Captain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Andrzej Zuczkowski, Ramona Bongelli, Ilaria Riccioni, Carla Canestrari
two pieces of information: the original one e expressing that the captain is sober on the given day, and to an eventuality eʹ expressing that the captain is an alcoholic, which can be invoked due to the network discussed above.
by William L. Wuerch, Dirk Anthony Ballendorf
Captain Richard P. Leary Commander Seaton Schroeder Commander W. Swift Commander Seaton Schroeder Commander W. E. ...
by Francis Grose
Captain, led captain, an humble dependant in a great family, who for a precarious subsistence and distant hopei of preferment suffers every kind of indignity, and is ...
Originally Published as ÒFrom Keel to TruckÓ by Captain Heinrich Paasch
Originally Published as From Keel to Truck Captain Heinrich Paasch. IRON SHIP. NAVIRE EN FER. EISERNES SCHIFF. Iron Hull, comprising the iron portionsof a composite Hull. Coque d'un navire bilge keelson— Cornière; Equerre; ...
by Geoffrey C. Gunn
Salvador Correia da Costa, Captain of Solor and Timor, 23 March 1605 Francisco Pereira da Cunha, Captain of Solor and Timor, 1632 RuLE AT LIFAu ( oECussE) CoNTEsTED bETwEEN LARANTuquEIRos AND oFFICIAL govERNoRs ...
A Practical Compilation of Today's Acronyms and Abbreviations
CAPT captain Capt. captain CAR Carina (constellation); computer-assisted retrieval car. carat; cargo carb carburetor; carbohydrate carb. carbohydrate; carbon; carburetor carbo carbohydrate Card player on St. Louis Cardinals baseball team ...
by Samuel Halkett, John Laing, James Kennedy, Dennis E. Rhodes
CAPTAIN Bluitt. [A romance]. By Max Adeler [Charles Heber Clark). 8vo. [Lond. Lib. Cat.) London, 1901 CAPTAIN Brand, of the Centipede, a pirate of eminence in the West Indies. By Harry Gringo (Henry Augustus Wise], 4to. [Cushing's /nit.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Captain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Captain
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Grégoire Lannoy
Photo credit: quinn.anya
of the sunset cruise...
Photo credit: aliwest44
Photo credit: reverses
Photo credit: The Dilly Lama
Photo credit: myeralan
A Captain figurine at the Jolly Holiday Bakery in Disneyland Park.
Photo credit: Sam Howzit
Photo credit: John Christian Fjellestad
A captain of one of those pirateships you can find at Alanya Harbour.
Photo credit: Volkan_83
Photo credit: hallison97photo
Photo credit: christie_verbose
Photo credit: seanmasn
- Captain Dave
Photo credit: Nesbitt_Photo
- Captain Bud
Photo credit: GollyGforce - Living My Worst Nightmare
- Ziggy & Captain
Photo credit: Fido Factor
- IF - Captain
Photo credit: gr33ndata
- Captain BBQ
Photo credit: Xurble
- Captain's seat
Captain's seat with padded bar which slides up to allow you to sit higher. Red and white upholstery.
Photo credit: ScaryComputer
- Dashboard & Captain's Seat
Photo credit: ScaryComputer
- Captain on the bridge
Photo credit: sokolovs
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Captain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Captain Meaning
Video shows what captain means. A chief or leader.. The person lawfully in command of a ship or other vessel.. An army officer with a rank between the most ...
- Captain Broccoli on Econ Vocabulary Terms
The superhero "Captain Broccoli" goes over your economic vocabulary terms for you. For Georgia social studies standards SS7E1, SS7E5, and SS7E8.
- Whose Line - Two Line Vocabulary: Captain & Seamen
Colin plays a captain, and Ryan & Brad are two seamen that can only speak two lines each. Ryan can only say "That can't be good" and "When's lunch?
- Captain Fine meaning and pronunciation
A nickname for Chris Pine, referring simultaneously to the actor's role as Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek film and his status as a GQMF. Captain Fine definition ...
- Captain explanation and group response
- Captain Explanation
- 66 of 66 | Captain Master, Word of God | Tune 'Gywllym' | Meaning : Strong Willed Warrior Helmet
A 21st Century Contemporary Hymn Lyrics by Rev. Victor Robert Farrell Music & Voice by Matt & Amy Dunn...
- Captain Toad in Smash! [also explanation for ballot]
Vote for Captain Toad please! ballot-...
- The Meaning of a Captain
Hirosue, who announces he is not operating on behalf of Salty Dog, has taken Hana captive and set bombs all over Tenkaido. Unfortunately for both parties ...
- Captain WIN and Dr. Slang
- Captain Cook - English Listening Fun - Improve vocabulary ESL & EFL
Learn English with these funny easy lessons from Justin Time and Ralph. Get free worksheets full of useful vocabulary. Play crosswords, test your learning skill.
- Captain's servant Meaning
Video shows what captain's servant means. (before 1796) the rating of a boy entering the Royal Navy at about the age of twelve before becoming a midshipman.
- Ride Captain Ride First Solo Jam Track w/Explanation and Slow Track
- (Ep.594)Meaning of Masonry - Be The Captain Of Your Soul / The World Truth Awakening Motivation
- Captain Newton Dialect Tape
- Introducing Captain Language
Introducing Captain Language, the online language course.
- Captain Language Review (Maria)
Maria, from Russia and now living in Norway, has been studying with Captain Language for one year.
- Cours d'anglais avec Captain Language (avis de Pedro)
Pedro, qui vit en Belgique, se forme avec Captain Language...
- "Captain Tripps" - The English Language
"Captain Tripps" - The English Language...
- Presentation In Afghani Language By Afghan Captain Nawroz Mangal
Cricket Afghanistan Australia South Africa India Sri Lanka Pakistan New Zealand England West Indies Bangladesh Ireland.
View more videos about Bell Captain, Captain Hook, Captain Kirk, Flag captain, Captain Swing, Fleet captain, Captain Falcon, Captain Planet, Copper Captain, Senior captain, Captain America, Captain general, Captain Obvious, Captain of industry, and Captain Jack Sparrow.
See also the pronunciation examples of Captain!
Quotes about Captain
I think the toughest part for me was when Herschelle said that he obviously looked up to his Captain, and he felt if his Captain could do it, then so could he, and that to me was when it really struck home. (Hansie Cronje)
more quotes about captain...
Scrabble value of C3A1P3T1A1I1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CAPTAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Captain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Captain to see it in context!