Buzz appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Doxy with charming buzz quaffs vodka julep. (36 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb buzz:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun buzz
- Definition of the verb buzz
- Phrases with Buzz
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Buzz
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Buzz
- Photos about Buzz
- Video language resources about Buzz
- Sign language
- Quotes about Buzz
- Scrabble value of B3U1Z10Z10
- Share this page
The word buzz is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun buzz
What does buzz mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: buzzes
- sound of rapid vibration
- a confusion of activity and gossip
Alternative definition of the noun buzz
- A continuous, humming noise, as of bees; a confused murmur, as of general conversation in low tones, or of a general expression of surprise or approbation.
- A whisper; a report spread secretly or cautiously.
- The audible friction of voice consonants.
- A rush or feeling of energy or excitement.
- [slang] A telephone call.
Definition of the verb buzz
What does buzz mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: buzzed | buzzing | buzzes
- make a buzzing sound
- example: bees were buzzing around the hive
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - animal] [Verb] The dog barked Verbs of Sounds Made by Animals: baa, bark, bay, bellow, blat, bleat, boom, bray, cackle, call, caw, chatter, cheep, chirp, chirrup, chitter, cluck, coo, croak, crow, cuckoo, drone, gobble, groan, growl, grunt, hee-haw, hiss, honk, hoot, howl, low, meow, mew, moan, moo, neigh, oink, peep, pipe, purr, quack, rattle, roar, rumble, screech, snarl, squawk, squeak, squeal, stridulate, thunder, trill, trumpet, tweet, twitter, ululate, wail, warble, wheeze, whimper, whine, whinny, whistle, woof, yap, yell, yelp, yip, yowl [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Location] Birds sang in the trees [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Recipient] [Adjective] The rooster crowed everyone awake [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Theme] The dog barked a warning [Agent - animal] [Verb] at [Cause] The dog barked at the commotion [Agent - animal] [Verb] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] The dog barked at the cat [Location] [Verb] with [Agent] The tree sang with birds there [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] There ticked a grandather clock in the hallway Verbs of Emission: babble, bang, beat, beep, bellow, blare, blast, blat, boom, bubble, burble, burr, chatter, chime, chink, chitter, chug, clack, clang, clank, clap, clash, clatter, click, cling, clink, clomp, clump, clunk, crack, crackle, crash, creak, crepitate, crunch, cry, ding, dong, drone, explode, fizz, fizzle, groan, growl, gurgle, hiss, hoot, howl, hum, jangle, jingle, knell, knock, lilt, moan, murmur, patter, peal, ping, pink, pipe, plonk, plop, plunk, pop, purr, putter, rap, rasp, rattle, ring, roar, roll, rumble, rustle, scream, screech, shriek, shrill, sing, sizzle, snap, sough, sound, splash, splutter, sputter, squawk, squeak, squeal, squelch, strike, swish, swoosh, thrum, thud, thump, thunder, thunk, tick, ting, tinkle, toll, toot, tootle, trill, trumpet, twang, ululate, vroom, wail, wheeze, whine, whir, whish, whisper, whistle, whoosh, zing [Agent] [Verb] [Theme] I buzzed the bell [Location] [Verb] with [Theme] The street sang with horns [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] The door hinges squeaked [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] [Oblique] The bell chimed the hour [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Horns beeped in the street [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In the hallway ticked a gradfather clock
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of buzz: bombilate / bombinate
- more generic words: go / sound = make a certain noise or sound
- fly low
- be noisy with activity
- examples: This office is buzzing with activity | The crowds buzz in the streets | The streets buzz with crowds
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of buzz: hum / seethe
- more generic word: be = have the quality of being
- more specific words: pullulate / swarm / teem = be teeming, be abuzz
- call with a buzzer
Alternative definition of the verb buzz
- To make a low, continuous, humming or sibilant sound, like that made by bees with their wings. Hence: To utter a murmuring sound; to speak with a low, humming voice.
- To sound forth by buzzing.
- To whisper; to communicate, as tales, in an under tone; to spread, as report, by whispers, or secretly.
- To talk to incessantly or confidentially in a low humming voice.
- [context: aviation] To fly very low over an airport or other location.
- Buzz a.k.a. Buzz Aldrin is an American engineer and former astronaut, and the second person to walk on the Moon. He was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. He set foot on the Moon at 03:15:16 on July 21, 1969, following mission commander Neil Armstrong. He is also a retired colonel in the United States Air Force and a Command Pilot.
- read more about Buzz Aldrin
- Buzz a.k.a. Burgess Meredith: Oliver Burgess Meredith, known professionally as Burgess Meredith, was an American actor in theatre, film, and television, who also worked as a director. Active for more than six decades, Meredith has been called "a virtuosic actor" who was "one of the most accomplished actors of the century". A life member of The Actors Studio by invitation, he won several Emmys, was the first male actor to win the Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor twice, and was nominated for two Academy Awards.
- read more about Burgess Meredith (actor)
- Buzz a.k.a. Robert Pine is an American actor who is best known as Sgt. Joseph Getraer on the hit NBC television series CHiPs.
- read more about Robert Pine (actor)
- Buzz a.k.a. Busby Berkeley, born Busby Berkeley William Enos, was a Hollywood movie director and musical choreographer. Berkeley devised elaborate musical production numbers that often involved complex geometric patterns. Berkeley's works used large numbers of showgirls and props as fantasy elements in kaleidoscopic on-screen performances.
- read more about Busby Berkeley (film director)
- Buzz a.k.a. Owain Yeoman: Owain Sebastian Yeoman is a Welsh actor. His credits include The Nine, Kitchen Confidential and the HBO series, Generation Kill. He starred as Agent Wayne Rigsby in The Mentalist and will portray General Benedict Arnold in the second season of Turn: Washington's Spies.
- read more about Owain Yeoman (actor)
- Buzz a.k.a. Cam Brainard: Cam "Buzz" Brainard is a voice actor and narrator, most notably as the "smart aleck" narrator on the TV show Maximum Exposure, and as the voice of Disney Channel. He is the Host of "This Week In Baseball" on FOX. He narrated "Breed All About It" for Animal Planet and was the promo voice fro the TV series "Friends" in syndication. He took over the voice of Rotor the Walrus on the ABC show Sonic the Hedgehog during its run.
- read more about Cam Brainard
- Buzz a.k.a. Robert Knudson was an American sound engineer. He won three Academy Awards for Best Sound and was nominated for seven more in the same category. He worked on over 100 films between 1963 and 1995.
- read more about Robert Knudson
- Buzz a.k.a. Graham Bidstrup: Graham Leslie "Buzz" Bidstrup is an Australian musician, songwriter, music producer and artist manager. He has been a member of The Angels, The Party Boys and Gang Gajang. He has managed Jimmy Little, Nathan Cavaleri and Diana Ah Naid. He is part of the management team for the Jimmy Little Foundation.
- read more about Graham Bidstrup
- Buzz a.k.a. A. I. Bezzerides: A.I. " Buzz" Bezzerides was an American novelist and screenwriter, best known for writing Noir and Action motion pictures, especially several of Warners' "social conscience" films of the 1940s.
- read more about A. I. Bezzerides
- Buzz a.k.a. Clint Vaught was a coordinator/theater and speech teacher and an actor.
- read more about Clint Vaught (actor)
- Buzz is an all-male Korean rock, pop band. Their music largely consists of both plaintive rock-ballads such as "Coward", though moderately melodic, driving rock songs such as "Leaving on a Journey to Me" reminiscent of German Neue Deutsche Welle are also to be heard among their more popular songs. All of their songs are sung in Korean with a smattering of English phrases, as is common in Korean pop music.
- genres: K-pop, Rock music, Pop music
- albums: "PERFECT", "Morning of Buzz", "Buzz 2nd - Effect"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Rock Performance - "Coward"
- Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Rock Performance - "Coward"
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Artist of the Year
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Overseas Viewer
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Rock Performance - "You Don't Know Man"
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Song of the Year - "You Don't Know Man"
- nominated to Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Group
- Mnet Asian Music Award for Best Rock Performance - "You Don't Know Man"
- Buzz is a record producer, musical artist, musical group.
- Buzz was a British low-cost airline operating services within Europe. It operated from 2000 until 2004 as a subsidiary of KLM and then Ryanair.
- Buzz is a record label.
- The Buzz is a fictional character in the Spider-Girl comic book series, published by Marvel Comics. JJ is the grandson of J. Jonah Jameson and the son of John Jameson. His costume bears some similarities to Henry Pym's Yellowjacket suit.
- Buzz a.k.a. Buzz McCallister is a fictional character from the 1990 film Home Alone and 1992 film Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.
- read more about Buzz McCallister
- Buzz is a fictional character from the 1994 movie The Hudsucker Proxy.
There are other characters with in their name, like Buzz cut, buzz off, Buzz-Off, Buzz Off!, Buzz McNab, Buzz Aldrin, Buzz Cooper, Buzz Miller, Buzz Thomas, Buzz Buzzard, Buzz McMahon, Buzz Stafford, Buzz Williams, Buzz Lightyear, Buzz Schneider, Lt. Buzz Adams, Buzz Killington, Buzz Lightyear Car.
"Buzz" is a 1998 Israeli film directed by Eli Cohen, based on a real murder story. It is known for being frequently used and taught in the Israeli education system, as well as the Israel Defense Forces and Israel Prison Service.
- country: Israel
- language: Hebrew Language
- genre: Drama
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Buzz" is the third studio album by British pop group Steps, released on 25 October 2000. It reached number four on the UK Albums Chart. The album saw the group edging away from the PWL sound to a more mature sound, working with producers from Sweden and songwriters such as Cyndi Lauper. This more mature sound was also echoed in the new material from Gold: Greatest Hits.
- "Buzz" is one of the albums from Christian rock band Guardian. The album was released in October 1995 and was produced by Steve Taylor. The album takes the band into the realms of alternative music and grunge common of the 90s.
- genre: Christian rock
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Buzz" is the fifth and final studio album by American hard rock band Autograph. Apart from lead singer and songwriter Steve Plunkett, the band has a completely new line up of musicians. The original band recorded three albums in the mid-eighties, and called it quits in 1989. The "Buzz" lineup did the same in 2005.
- "Buzz" is the third and final album by Alter Natives, released in August 1989 through SST Records.
- "Buzz" is the second album by Keller Williams, released in 1996. It covers many genres of music such as world beat, reggae, bluegrass and rock.
- "Buzz" is the 6th album by bassist Ben Allison. It was released on the Palmetto Records label in 2004.
- genre: Jazz
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Buzz" is the third studio album by California punk band Fifteen. The album was originally released on CD, LP, and cassette by the now-defunct label Grass Records on August 27, 1996. It was re-released on CD by Plan-It-X Records on November 14, 2006.
- genre: Punk rock
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Buzz" is the 2008 single by Above & Beyond & Tranquility Base.
- artist: Above & Beyond
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a musical album of Jump, Little Children.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a musical album of Buzz (cuivres farfelus).
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a musical single of Baby Chaos.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a musical album of Carimi.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a musical album of Five O'Clock Shadow.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Buzz" is a composition.
- music by François Cousineau
- Buzz a.k.a. Buzz! is a series of video games originated by Sleepydog Ltd., developed by Relentless Software and published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable consoles. They are quiz games that see the players answering trivia questions while competing in the fictional game show, Buzz!. Created specifically with multi-player party gaming in mind, the series launched in October 2005 and to date comprises 18 games; including 13 in the Buzz! series and five Buzz! Junior titles. The series made the transition to the PlayStation 3 with Buzz!: Quiz TV in 2008. The sixteenth game in the series Buzz!: Brain of the UK was released in March 2009. The latest Buzz! game is Buzz!: The Ultimate Music Quiz which was released in October 2010.
- official website: www.buzzthegame.com
- Buzz – once called "Washington's best electronic dance night" by The Washington Post - was one of Washington, D.C.'s longest running dance parties. It was co-founded by DJ/promoter Scott Henry and DJ/promoter and DC music store owner Lieven DeGeyndt at the East Side Club and then relaunched in October 1995 at the now demolished Nation, formerly the Capital Ballroom. At its peak it was one of the largest dance parties on the East Coast and voted "Best Party" four years in a row by then electronic dance music culture magazine URB. Buzz attracted the world's top electronic dance music artists to Washington, DC.
- Buzz was an A3 British comic that ran from 20 January 1973 to 4 January 1975, when it merged with The Topper. Buzz ran for 103 Issues.
- Buzz is a free, monthly culture and what's on magazine for the South Wales region, established in 1991. It has a small staff, and relies on advertising revenues for funding. The magazine focuses on art, films, music, entertainment and dining in the South Wales area, and features a comprehensive listings guide.
- The Buzz is a sailing dinghy designed in 1994 by Ian Howlett and manufactured by Reg White Limited of Brightlingsea as part of the "White Formula" range of boats originally marketed by Topper International Ltd but since 2013 by Vantage Sailing. The Buzz is a double handed racing boat, with a single trapeze for the crewman. The boat has a fully battened mainsail, furling jib and an asymmetric spinnaker. There have been around 500 boats built. The Buzz is designed to be an easy to sail boat, but it can also be raced competitively.
- The Buzz was a Canadian comedy television series that aired on The Comedy Network. The show was hosted by Morgan "Mista Mo" Smith and Daryn Jones. The show originally aired in the mid-90s as a community channel show on Rogers Television before getting a network deal in 2000. In 2001, the show won a Gemini Award in the "Best Writing in a Comedy or Variety Program or Series" category. The 2003 season saw them take the show to New York, London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. The show ended in 2005.
- begun on (15 years ago)
- country: Canada
- regular cast:
- genre: Comedy
- some of the awards:
Phrases with Buzz
Phrases starting with the word Buzz:
Phrases ending with the word Buzz:
Other phrase containing the word Buzz:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Buzz
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Participatory Museum (2010)
by Nina Simon
Science Buzz is an award-winning online social network managed by the Science Museum of Minnesota.5 It is a multi-author...
Stories and Strategies of Radical Innovation by Mark Stefik, Barbara Stefik
Buzz is the creative energy of invention. It's the energy of a community of people ... When they are all contributing to the same project or at least working in the same space, buzz is a signal of wonderful progress. They are excited and surprised.
by Sarah White
Buzz is something like what we used to call “word of mouth.” But it's not quite the same. Buzz is a genuine and infectious excitement about a hot new product, person, or idea. A broader definition, given in Emanuel Rosen's The Anatomy ...
Buzz is an epithet usually applied to a large wig. It is here used for swelling, burly , bombastic writing. There is a picture of HogaRTH's (the Election Ball, we believe ), in which there are a number of Hats thrown together in one corner of the room ...
A Revolutionary Approach to Connecting with Your Customers by Bernd H. Schmitt
Although buzz is an exciting new development in marketing,itrunsthe riskof manipulating the customer deceptively(e.g., withfake personal phone numbers). Buzz must bedone right;itismost effective whenitallows customers to create an ...
Release 2.0: (2009)
by Jimmy Guterman Ed.
Buzz is a piece of the equation when it comes to trading, but it's certainly not the whole equation. And we've had our best performance with long strategic investors, not in-and-out daily investors." "There are plenty of investors who might be ...
Encyclopedia of Hair (2006)
A Cultural History by Victoria Sherrow
BUTCH See Crew Cut BUZZ CUT The buzz cut, sometimes called a flattop, is an extremely short haircut, usually executed with electric clippers that do not have a guard comb in place. During the cutting process, which may take only minutes to ...
Dictionary of Crime (1992)
Criminal Justice, Criminology, and Law Enforcement by Jay Robert Nash
buz See: buzz ...
Made in North America by Robert A. Slade
Power Set BUZZ BAITS Power Sct BUZZ BAITS are also made from the same unbreakable plastic and come in the same color combinations as the Original Slow Fall JIGS. it also has a faster rise than standard buzz balls ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Buzz
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Buzz
Click on an item to view that photo:
Black 12 a /B, brow 12 a/B, grey12 a/B
Photo credit: Brunella Shoes
Photo credit: cogdogblog
Photo credit: christopher_brown
View On Black
Honey, you can fly.
Photo credit: Adam.James
Photo credit: huphtur
Photo credit: stickwithjosh
Photo credit: stickwithjosh
Photo credit: ElCapitanBSC
Photo credit: formatc1
Photo credit: Youbertdeal
Photo credit: Nick Saltmarsh
Photo credit: fernand0
Melvins, San Jose Blank Club 09/18/10
Photo credit: Helldini
Buzz naps on top of the fridge
Photo credit: r_neches
Seen at 49th Parallel Coffee on Main St.
Photo credit: kennymatic
- March Buzz
Photo credit: Auntie K
Photo credit: hyku
- Buzz Bruggerman
Photo credit: Kris Krug
- GOOG Buzz
Photo credit: bunnicula
- Buzz, Jeff, Robert
Photo credit: hyku
View more pictures about Buzz Lightyear.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Buzz
Click on an item to play that video:
- Working the Model T buzz coil!! Hook up explanation too!
Quick vid showing them Model T buzz coils in Action.
- Buzz Meaning
Video shows what buzz means. A continuous, humming noise, as of bees; a confused murmur, as of general conversation in low tones.. A whisper.. The audible ...
- Christmas buzz meaning and pronunciation
A feeling common during the month of December. It is the need to buy many overpriced gifts for your family, normally on a credit card. The buyer feels no feelings ...
- 2 - The Curly Buzz Youtubers Natural Hair Terminology Books Social Networks
- Buzz Killington meaning and pronunciation
It's 'ol Buzz Killington, the old guy with a top hat that appears when you are having a crazy party. Basically he stops the drinking/smoking and proceeds to ...
- Oribe Curl By Definition | Buzz Salon
Soft, sexy, youthful curls don't always come naturally. This elegant activator adds amazing texture and definition, with shine-boosting, frizz-eliminating, ...
- Tixboo: Buzz Pricing explanation
- Vocabulary Buzz
- Buzz! Learn american slang
- Buzz Spector on Jeni Wightman's 'Visualizing Meaning'
Remarks from the opening of Mann Library Gallery's inaugural exhibit.
- Buzz up Meaning
Video shows what buzz up means. To allow entrance into a building from a higher floor by triggering an electronic lock.. Buzz up Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- 1 A Champion Buzz; RHYMES IN THE DIALECT by J T Baron
- Buzz Words & Corporate Language
Joe Genduso gives instruction on the problems inherent with buzz words. Learn how jargon can demoralize and why two-way communication is a must.
- Language test fraud halts visas in the U.K.- Microblog Buzz - February 24,2014 - BONTV China
- Health Buzz: Coffee, Sex Increase Aneurysm Risk (reading for ESL students)
- Menorca - Buzz TV (sin idioma / no language)
- New language center creating a buzz in Columbia
- ESL Hiring Practices Questioned - Microblog Buzz June 12 -- BON TV China
- Language Buzz Commercial
- - Future Vision Training Clean Language Buzz Session
- Calvin's Drum Rolls (Buzz) for 8th grade language arts
See also the pronunciation examples of Buzz!
Buzz Lightyear's Sign Language
Buzz Lightyear making an odd hand gesture at crowd of Macy's...
Quotes about Buzz
Scrabble value of B3U1Z10Z10
The value of this 4-letter word is 24 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Buzz to see it in context!