On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bruin
What does bruin mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bruins
- a conventional name for a bear used in tales following usage in the old epic `Reynard the Fox'
- large ferocious bear of Eurasia
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Danis ferox / species Danis ferox / Melanarctos cavifrons / species Melanarctos cavifrons / Ursus horribilis / species Ursus horribilis / Ursus arctos
- synonym of bruin: brown bear
- more generic word: bear = massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws
- more specific terms:
- Ursus arctos syriacus / Syrian bear = yellowish-grey Syrian brown bear
- Ursus arctos horribilis / Ursus horribilis / grizzly bear / silver-tip / silvertip / grizzly = powerful brownish-yellow bear of the uplands of western North America
- Ursus arctos middendorffi / Alaskan brown bear / Ursus middendorffi / Kodiak bear / Kodiak = brown bear of coastal Alaska and British Columbia
- member of: genus Ursus / Ursus = type genus of Ursidae: brown bears
- geographic area: North America, Southern Asia
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun bruin
- a folk name for a bear, especially the brown bear, Ursus arctos
"Bruin" is a book by Thomas Mayne Reid.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bruin
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Sporting Almanac (1841)
BRUIN is a great favourite of ours; we.
Substantial Differences in an Age of Globalisation by Sjur Bergan, E. Stephen Hunt
Lucie de Bruin is the Head of the Dutch ENIC/NARIC. Rolf Lofstad is a credentials evaluator with the Norwegian ENIC/NARIC and a former member of the Lisbon Recognition Convention Committee, the NARIC Advisory Board and the Working ...
Pitch Perfect (2008)
The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory by Mickey Rapkin
They called themselves Shir Bruin. Yes, Shir Bruin was a pun. Shir ( pronounced sheer) is the Hebrew word meaning “song”; Bruin is the UCLA mascot.
Second Report of Session 2012-13, Vol. 2: Oral and Written Evidence by Great Britain: Parliament: House of Commons: Justice Committee
Charlie Bruin is the Business Director for Central Government and is responsible for all aspects of Liberata's Central Government contracts. 2.5 Mr. Bruin joined Liberata in April 2004 and has worked across Liberata's local and central ...
by Katja L.H. Samuel
* Rene Bruin is a lawyer and senior staff member.
by Walter William Skeat
bruin ; Icel. brtinn ; Swed. brun ; Dan. bru tin ; G. braun. From the same root as Burn, bronze. (F.-Ital.-Teut.) F. bronze. — Ital. bronzo, bronze ; cf. abbronzarc, to scorch. Allied to bruno, brown, whence brunczza, swarthiness, brunire, ...
by Phillip Anthony O'Hara
De Bruin (1997) makes a case for examining cultural capital when seeking solutions for unemployment. In this respect it is necessary to broaden the definition of human capital to include cultural capital. Such a recognition would serve three ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bruin
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bruin
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Bruin
Video shows what bruin means. A folk name for a bear, especially the brown bear, Ursus arctos.. Bruin Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
See also the pronunciation examples of Bruin!
Scrabble value of B3R1U1I1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BRUIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bruin!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bruin to see it in context!