The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun breach:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb breach:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun breach
- Definition of the verb breach
- Phrases with Breach
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Breach
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Breach
- Photos about Breach
- Video language resources about Breach
- Quotes about Breach
- Scrabble value of B3R1E1A1C3H4
- Anagrams of BREACH
- Share this page
Breach is sometimes a misspelling of break.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun breach
What does breach mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: breaches
- a failure to perform some promised act or obligation
- an opening (especially a gap in a dike or fortification)
- a personal or social separation (as between opposing factions)
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of breach: break / falling out / rift / rupture / severance
- more generic words: breakup / detachment / separation = coming apart
- more specific word: schism = the formal separation of a church into two churches or the withdrawal of one group over doctrinal differences
Alternative definition of the noun breach
- The act of breaking, in a figurative sense.
- [legal] A breaking or infraction of a law, or of any obligation or tie; violation; non-fulfillment; as, a breach of contract; a breach of promise.
- A gap or opening made by breaking or battering, as in a wall, fortification or levee; the space between the parts of a solid body rent by violence; a break; a rupture; a fissure.
- A breaking up of amicable relations; rupture.
- A breaking of waters, as over a vessel or a coastal defence; the waters themselves; surge; surf.
- A breaking out upon; an assault.
- [archaic] A bruise; a wound.
- [archaic] A hernia; a rupture.
Definition of the verb breach
What does breach mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: breached | breaching | breaches
- act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of breach: break / go against / infract / offend / transgress / violate
- more generic word: disrespect = show a lack of respect for
- more specific terms:
- transgress / trespass / sin = commit a sin
- drop the ball / blunder / boob / goof / sin = commit a faux pas or a fault or make a serious mistake
- contravene / run afoul / conflict / infringe = go against, as of rules and laws
- trespass = break the law
- trespass / intrude = enter unlawfully on someone's property
- make an opening or gap in
Alternative definition of the verb breach
- [transitive] To make a breach in.
- [transitive] To violate or break.
- [transitive, nautical, of the sea] to break into a ship or into a coastal defence
- [intransitive] [context: of a whale] to leap clear out of the water
Specialised definition of the verb breach
Glossary of justice
to break an agreement or condition of an order
- region: UK
- "Breach" is a 2007 American historical and political thriller film directed by Billy Ray. The screenplay by Ray, Adam Mazer, and William Rotko is based on the true story of Robert Hanssen, an FBI agent convicted of spying for the Soviet Union and later Russia for more than two decades, and Eric O'Neill, who worked as his assistant and helped bring about his downfall. O'Neill served as a consultant on the film.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Scott Strauss, Scott Kroopf, Robert Newmyer
- executive producers: William Horberg, Sidney Kimmel, Adam Merims
- production design by Wynn Thomas
- art direction by Andrew M. Stearn
- written by Adam Mazer, Billy Ray, William Rotko
- based on a story by Adam Mazer & William Rotko
- Chris Cooper as Robert Hanssen
- Ryan Phillippe as Eric O'Neill
- Laura Linney as Kate Burroughs
- Caroline Dhavernas as Juliana O'Neill
- Gary Cole as Rich Garces
- Dennis Haysbert as Dean Plesac
- Kathleen Quinlan as Bonnie Hanssen
- Jonathan Watton as Geddes
- Bruce Davison as John O'Neill
- Tom Barnett as Jim Olsen
- Aaron Abrams
- Mary Jo Deschanel as Vivian O'Neill
- Jonathan Potts as D.I.A. Suit
- David Huband as Photographer
- Catherine Burdon as Agent Nece
- Scott Gibson as Agent Sherin
- Courtenay J. Stevens as Agent Loper
- Clare Stone as Lisa Hanssen
- Jonathan Keltz as Greg Hanssen
- Richard Fitzpatrick as Michael Rochford
- Melissa Thomson as Jane
- Craig Eldridge as Gene Connors
- Jonathan Whittaker as Tim Bereznay
- Reagan Pasternak as Beautiful Reporter
- Elie Gemael as Libyan Man
- Oula Boubkraoui as Libyan Wife
- Chris Owens as Trunk Cataloguer
- Jonathon Ruckman as SWAT Agent
- Stan Coles as Father McKee
- Bart Bedford as Information Center Manager
- David Frisch as Agent Pack
- Scott McCulloch as Director Louis Freeh
- Mathew Lyons as Richard
- Greg Campbell as Special Agent in Charge
- David O'Neil as Man in Car
- Guido Rossi as Latin Speaking Man at Church
- Michael Wingate Jones as FBI Agent #1
- Errol Krass as Pedestrian
- Aaron Michael Lacey as FBI Agent #2
- Talia Russo as Woman on Cell Phone
- Don Whatley as FBI Agent #3
- casting by Cassandra Kulukundis
- cinematography by Tak Fujimoto
- edited by Jeffrey Ford
- music by Mychael Danna
- costume design by Luis Sequeira
- set decoration by Gordon Sim
- genres: Spy film, Docudrama, Crime Thriller, Thriller, Crime Fiction, Drama
- subject: Robert Hanssen
- tagline: Inspired by the true story of the greatest security breach in U.S. history
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (7 years ago)
- official website: www.breachmovie.net
- "Breach" a.k.a. "Bristning" is a 2012 short film directed by Åsa Båve and Amanda Leissner.
- read more about Bristning
- "Breach" is a 2011 short comedy film written and directed by Greg Pittard.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Alfred Brown
- written by Greg Pittard
- cinematography by Carlotta Merzari
- edited by Greg Pittard
- genre: Comedy
- released on
Phrases with Breach
Phrases starting with the word Breach:
- breach of duty
- breach of trust
- breach of promise
- breach of contract
- breach of warranty
- breach of the peace
- breach of the covenant of warranty
- breach of trust with fraudulent intent
Phrases ending with the word Breach:
Other phrase containing the word Breach:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Breach
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Analytical Perspective by Mohamed A.M. Ismail
It is recognized in all contracts, whether they are administrative or civil, that the contractual breach is the failure of the debtor to fulfil the obligations set forth in the contract, for whatsoever reason, and whether such failure is due to an ...
Performance Theory (2003)
by Richard Schechner
A breach is a situation that schisms a social unit—family, work group, village, community, nation, etc. A crisis is a...
by Diane Barrett, Martin Weiss, Kirk Hausman
Companies such as Neiman Marcus, eBay, Home Depot, and Sony have recently made headlines due to large-scale data breaches. One of the most important points about a data breach is that mitigation of further loss of data is necessary, ...
by Bryan A. Garner
breach ( =  n., an opening or gap; or  vb., to break open) can be a troublesome word. In general usage, it is confused with two ...
A Dictionary of Accounting (2016)
by Jonathan Law
An indication that a contract will be breached in the future is called repudiation or an anticipatory breach; it may be either expressed in words or implied from conduct. Such an implication arises when the only reasonable inference from a ...
A Dictionary of Law (2009)
by Elizabeth A. Martin
breach is minor, thus overriding the common law principle described here. The process of treating a contract as discharged by reason of repudiation or actual breach is sometimes referred to as *rescission or repudiation,but thislatter termis ...
Multilingual Law Dictionary (1979)
by Lawrence Deems Egbert, Fernando Morales Macedo
breach of authority abus d'autorité, de pouvoir abuso de autoridad, de poder Missbrauch der Amtsgewalt 924. breach of confidence, faith, trust ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Breach
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Breach
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Zeussical
Photo credit: trisarahtops333
Photo credit: Editor B
Photo credit: rick
Photo credit: Editor B
This is a not great magnified view of a Humpback Whale breaching off the beach at Maverick's.
Photo credit: btwashburn
Photo credit: [Alan]
- Mary Rose breach loading canon
Breach-loading wrought iron canon barrel, with iron bands, recovered from the Mary Rose Museum, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, 07/13.
Photo credit: hugh llewelyn
Photo credit: gripso_banana_prune
- Whale Breach
Photo credit: slashvee
- Breach II
Photo credit: kevygee
- Roland Breach
Roland Breach, cirque of Gavarnie.
Photo credit: blieusong
- Dock breach
At the docks in Stillbaai, South Africa.
Some people don't enjoy vignetting; it has its place and here it works.
Photo credit: Lyle Nel
- Unauthorized entrance is a breach of security
Almost by definition
Photo credit: Eric Fischer
- Security Breach
Photo credit: russellstreet
- Humpback Breach
Photo credit: mrmoorey
View more pictures about Breach Candy.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Breach
Click on an item to play that video:
- Breach Meaning
Video shows what breach means. A gap or opening made by breaking or battering, as in a wall, fortification or levee; the space between the parts of a solid body ...
- Breach Definition
- 04 Western Breach explanation of causes of 2006 accident, and refutation of initial media reports
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from the Bourne Series - Breach, Penetrate, Deviate
- 2nd (bad definition wall breach
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = breach of domicile
- SCP containment breach ! [+ lien description]
See also the pronunciation examples of Breach!
Quotes about Breach
Thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations, and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in.
more quotes about breach...
Scrabble value of B3R1E1A1C3H4
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BREACH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Breach!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Breach to see it in context!