Boredom appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Boredom a la mode, Rob?
- Boredom mocks a mad damask commode, Rob.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun boredom
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Boredom
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Boredom
- Photos about Boredom
- Video language resources about Boredom
- Sign language
- Quotes about Boredom
- Scrabble value of B3O1R1E1D2O1M3
- Anagrams of BOREDOM
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun boredom
What does boredom mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: boredoms
- the feeling of being bored by something tedious
- examples: Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is. | It was boredom that Aldous Huxley considered one of the most dangerous human conditions. | I am no match for boredom. | I distracted myself from the boredom of my long journey by reading mysteries. | I am no match for boredom. | Boredom, routine, and lack of curiosity are the greatest enemies of our brain. | A naked lecture conveys boredom ; tales help precepts get through. | The boredom, routine and lack of curiosity are the major enemies of our brain. | Herzl waited in the dimly lit room. At times he would fidget restlessly in boredom. | Boredom is the beginning of all vices.
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of boredom: ennui / tedium
- more generic word: dissatisfaction = the feeling of being displeased and discontent
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun boredom
- [uncountable] The state of being bored.
- [countable] An instance or period of a state of being bored; a variety of bored state.
Boredom is a band from Graz, Austria.
- also known as Børedøm
- album: "World Bores to Death"
- "Boredom" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Boredom" is a musical single of Airwave.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Boredom" is a musical single of Three Is a Crowd.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Boredom" is a musical single of LoveLikeFire.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Boredom" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Ace Facial
"Boredom" is a film, directed by Albert Nerenberg.
- country: Canada
- released in
Boredom is an emotional state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do, and not interested in their surroundings. The first recorded use of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852, in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in print in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768. The French term for boredom, ennui, is sometimes used in English as well.
- also known as Ennui
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Boredom
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Eye of the Century (2008)
Cinema, Experience, Modernity by Francesco Casetti
Boredom is a strange state of mind—it presents itself as a blank space in the vortex of existence, an emptiness and a renunciation...
Benjamin reminds us in a striking aphorism: ”Boredom is the grating before which the courtesan teases death.
Anywhere or Not at All (2013)
Philosophy of Contemporary Art by Peter Osborne
Profound boredom is the feeling of time in its ability to expand itself. It is not just a structure of feeling, in Raymond...
by Bangambiki Habyarimana
~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966 Boredom is a vital problem for the moralist, since at least half the sins of mankind are caused by...
Living in the Now (2012)
How to Live as the Spiritual Being That You Are by Gina Lake
Boredom is a common experience produced by the ego. It is an egoic state of dissatisfaction plus a desire for something either unspecified or denied. If the desire were clear and able to be pursued, then action would take the place of inaction.
Your Time Starts Now (2006)
by Dr. Vijay Agrawal
But boredom is a dangerous psychology. You might feel that external...
The Men's Health Diet (2011)
27 Days to Sculpted Abs, Maximum Muscle & Superhuman Sex! by Stephen Perrine, Adam Bornstein, Heather Hurlock, The Editors of Men's Health
Boredom is the balloon mortgage in your housing bubble, the intern scandal in your presidential campaign, the cracked...
Up Some Days | Down Other Days by VANESSA HALL
Philippians 2: 14 Boredom is that annoying and self -centered emotion that can't mind its business and keep to itself. It has to announce how the day is a boring drag; that there's nothing on the boring TV. At work, it complains to co-workers ...
To Die in Cuba (2012)
Suicide and Society by Louis A. Pérez Jr.
Boredom is that state of being into which we fall when circumstances do not permit the fulfillment of our...
Boredom is the spiritual repercussion of a great variety of external causes that range from the concrete condition of poverty to the most ...
Human Predicaments (2016)
And What to Do about Them by John Kekes
Episodic boredom is a reasonable reaction in contexts that are genuinely boring and would be found so by most of us. Its tedium may be relieved by the realization that putting up with it is a means to something we care about, if indeed we do ...
by Daniel Paliwoda
Boredom is a force in its tidal-like action against the self: it ebbs and flows over the Melvillean protagonist's well-being, either...
by Manfred J. von Vulte
Boredom is a natural state of the human mind, especially in children. It signifies a number of positive and negative thought...
Prose of the World (2013)
Modernism and the Banality of Empire by Saikat Majumdar
“For thinkers and all sensitive spirits, boredom is that disagreeable 'windless calm' of the soul that precedes a happy...
The Heidegger Dictionary (2013)
by Daniel O. Dahlstrom
Time is oppressively prolonged in three distinct ways, yielding three forms of boredom: being bored by something, being bored (or, more literally, boring ourselves) with something, and profound boredom. In each case, the time that we are ...
by W. Edward Craighead, Charles B. Nemeroff
In addition to practical reasons, there are important theoretical reasons to understand boredom as a motivational concept connecting inner feelings and motives with environmental conditions. Theories relate boredom to attention, arousal, ...
by Harry T. Reis, Susan Sprecher
Relationship boredom refers to a specific type of relationship challenge in which one or both members of a couple feel that the relationship or the partner has become uninteresting, unexciting, and lost all feeling or “spark.” Unlike traditional ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen M. Reevy
Boredom can be associated with serious psychological and social problems. For instance, a tendency to become bored is linked to depression, anxiety, and hostility (e.g., Vodanovich, Verner, & Gilbride, 1991). At least one study showed that ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Boredom
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Boredom
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: CMFRIESE
Bet you wish you had a better imagination about now.
Photo credit: THX0477
Photo credit: erix!
Ardenwood Historic Farm
Photo credit: John Loo
Photo credit: wonker
Photo credit: rycheme
Photo credit: the_steve_cox
Josh's house isn't very exciting.
Photo credit: rdmarsh
Photo credit: Jesse Crockett
Photo credit: skinny79
Photo credit: QuinnDombrowski
...leads to this.
Photo credit: CarSpotter
Photo credit: pennuja
Photo credit: Sam Takes Photos
Photo credit: Catie Liu
Photo credit: shorton08
Killing some time while waiting to capture the next train
Photo credit: David Yahl
Photo credit: erix!
Photo credit: D Simmonds
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Boredom
Click on an item to play that video:
- Boredom Meaning
Video shows what boredom means. The state of being bored.. An instance or period of a state of being bored; a variety of bored state.. boredom synonyms: ...
- THE MEANING OF BOREDOM
2am at University Original music by Brendan Huxley Film Features: Lara Frew, Brendan Huxley.
- A Lack of Meaning Causes Boredom in Addiction & Recovery
It's common for treatment centers to give clients busy, structured schedules, but it may prevent individuals from learning how to deal with unstructured time ...
- Garden Variety Idiom Garden Vocabulary Shopping Vocabulary Describing Business Video Idioms Boredom
Example: This is not your garden-variety English channel. Garden Variety Idiom Garden Vocabulary Shopping Vocabulary Describing Business Video Idioms ...
- Idiom#4- DIE OF BOREDOM
- Cabin Fever - Learn English Slang About Boredom
Jason is getting bored waiting for his leg to heal and wants to hang out with his friends. This is episode 132 of As the World Learns, the soap opera that helps ...
- New definition of boredom... ;)
- Smh... The definition of boredom w/ Kingmonferno FTW & Ktshadow
- Whippet doesn't know the meaning of boredom - groan
- TD THE DEFINITION OF BOREDOM
- Medical vocabulary: What does Boredom mean
What does Boredom mean in English?
- 4 A.M. BOREDOM AND EXPLANATION
- Definition of Boredom and Cute
- The True Meaning of Boredom
- Definition of Boredom (Dahvie VanityxAndy Six makeup)
- The definition of boredom
- Definition of boredom
- The True Meaning of Boredom
- Explanation about Wild Boredom
- The definition of boredom
What a True Boredom Looks Like.
- Instrumental Description of Boredom - Original Composition by HBD22Tech
- Boredom in Language Arts...
See also the pronunciation examples of Boredom!
Sign Language Practice Boredom
Quotes about Boredom
Scrabble value of B3O1R1E1D2O1M3
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BOREDOM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Boredom!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Boredom to see it in context!