Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun boost:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun boost
- Definition of the verb boost
- Phrases with Boost
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Boost
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Boost
- Usage statistics about boost
- Photos about Boost
- Video language resources about Boost
- Quotes about Boost
- Scrabble value of B3O1O1S1T1
- Anagrams of BOOST
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun boost
What does boost mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: boosts
- the act of giving hope or support to someone
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of boost: encouragement
- more generic words: aid / assist / assistance / help = the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- more specific terms: morale building / morale booster = anything that serves to increase morale
- an increase in cost
- the act of giving a push
Alternative definition of the noun boost
- A push from behind, as to one who is endeavoring to climb; help.
- [context: automotive engineering] A positive intake manifold pressure in cars with turbochargers or superchargers.
Specialised definition of the noun boost
Glossary of sports / synchronized swimming
a rapid, headfirst rise out of the water in synchronized swimming where the swimmer aims to raise as much of her body as possible above the water surface (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
a move in which the swimmer rises rapidly out of the water, head first, bringing as much of the body as possible above the surface
Definition of the verb boost
What does boost mean as a doing word?
Boost is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: boosted | boosting | boosts
- give a boost to; be beneficial to
- contribute to the progress or growth of
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] We promoted the cause [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, arbitrary control with -ing] We promoted writing novels [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, possessive with -ing] We promoted their writing novels
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of boost: advance / encourage / further / promote
- more generic terms: back up / support = give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to
- more specific terms:
- increase or raise
- push or shove upward, as if from below or behind
Alternative definition of the verb boost
- To lift or push from behind (one who is endeavoring to climb); to push up; hence, to assist in overcoming obstacles, or in making advancement.
- [slang] To steal.
Specialised definition of the verb boost
Glossary of sports
to make something increase (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Boost: Cadbury Boost is a chocolate bar that is designed and marketed by Cadbury Ireland in the Republic of Ireland. The bar is sold in the UK and South Africa by Cadbury UK, and in Australia and New Zealand by the Australian Office in Ringwood. Its wrapper says that it consists of milk chocolate with caramel and biscuit filling. The wrapper also states that Boost is "Charged with glucose.
- Boost: Simon Gray established Boost Drinks in 2001 and it is now the UK’s 2nd largest energy drinks brand with nearly 20 different products across the Boost Energy, Boost Active and Boost Sport ranges. It is the only brand that covers all three sectors of functional drinks – stimulation energy, glucose and sports/isotonic.
- Boost is a Indian malt-chocolate-flavored health food drink manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. It was launched in the mid-1970s in Kerala before being released nationwide in the early 80s. Sachin Tendulkar has been the brand ambassador for nearly a decade. Virender Sehwag joined in 2002. The product's slogan "Boost is the secret of my energy" is ubiquitous in India.
- official website: www.gsk-ch.in/Boost.aspx
"Boost" is an artwork (artificial leather) by Adidas, begun in (16 years ago).
- media: artificial leather
- "Boost" a.k.a. "The Boost" is a 1988 drama film directed by Harold Becker. It stars James Woods, Sean Young, John Kapelos, Steven Hill, June Chandler and Amanda Blake.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Daniel H. Blatt
- executive producers: John Daly, Derek Gibson, Julia Phillips
- production design by Waldemar Kalinowski
- art direction by Kenneth Hardy
- written by Darryl Ponicsan
- based on a story by Ben Stein
- casting by Ilene Starger
- cinematography by Howard Atherton
- music by Stanley Myers
- set decoration by Cindy Carr
- genres: Melodrama, Drama
- tagline: Imagine having all the power, passion and pleasure money can buy. Now imagine losing them.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (26 years ago)
- award: - Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead nomination for James Woods
- "Boost" is a film.
- genre: Sports
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Boost" is a musical single of Dreamwaver.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Boost" a.k.a. "Boost!" is a musical single of Madis Sillamo.
- "Boost" is a composition.
- music by Paul Gulati
- "Boost" is a composition.
- music by Rainer Jancis
- Boost is a fictional character from the 2006 American computer-animated comedy-adventure sports film Cars.
- Boost a.k.a. Cook is a fictional character from the 2003 film Tagore.
- read more about Cook
- Boost is a fictional mutant in the Marvel Comics universe. His first appearance was in Uncanny X-Men '97 Annual.
- Boost is a set of libraries for the C++ programming language that provide support for tasks and structures such as linear algebra, pseudorandom number generation, multithreading, image processing, regular expressions, and unit testing. It contains over eighty individual libraries.
- genre: Library
- license: Boost Software License
- official website: www.boost.org
- Boost: BOOST® is the brand name of a line of nutritional products first introduced in 1995 by Mead Johnson Nutritionals, which was purchased by Novartis along with all its other adult nutrition products by Mead Johnson in 2002. BOOST® was sold to Nestlé Nutrition in 2007 and is manufactured by Nestlé HealthCare Nutrition, Inc, a subsidiary of Nestlé Health Science.
- official website: www.boost.com
- boost is a software developer.
Phrases with Boost
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Boost
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Chris Hadfield, Randy Nussler
Turbo boost is the positive pressure increase created by the turbocharger. A BIT OF HISTORY...
by Chris Hadfield
Turbo boost is the positive pressure increase created by the turbocharger. Compressed air...
The Force of Symmetry (1995)
by Vincent Icke
t A Lorentz boost is a Lorentz transformation that keeps the direction of the spatial coordinates the same. t This is what appears in some textbooks as 'a 194 The physics of a tablecloth 10.8 Yang-Mills fields.
A Common Fate (1995)
Endangered Salmon and the People of the Pacific Northwest by Joseph Cone
The wave boost is an aid, not a necessity, for the jump. Just as remarkable are the ranges of leaps; a coho salmon of twelve pounds can leap six feet up and twelve feet out, a 1:1 weight-to-extension ratio. Compare that with American track star ...
Turning Data Structures into Efficient Databases by Jiri Soukup, Petr Macháček
Boost is an open source library of data structures which also includes serialization. The serialization requires too much user input to qualify, in our terms, to be considered an automatic persistence, yet it was recently proposed as a C++ ...
by Rupert W Anderson
However, in the Alcubierre model the spacetime expansion boost is the driving phenomenon, whereas in the Chung–Freese model ...
The skirts, however, remain constant for all boost/cut levels. Prosa : Typically, text added to the sequence of a Mass, originally those that were written in prose rather than poetic meter Proscenium : The part of the stage between the curtain and ...
Dictionary of Americanism (1848)
by John Russel Bartlett
TO BOOST. To lift or raise by pushing.—Webster. Chiefly used by boys, ...
by Joseph A. Angelo
During the BOOST PHASE, the ROCKET engines accelerate the missile and its warhead PAY- LOAD through and out of the ATMOSPHERE and provide intense, highly specific observables. A POST-BOOST PHASE, or BUS deployment phase ...
by Stanley Newman, Daniel Stark
lift, tide 5 boost, favor, leg up, serve 6 back up, chip in, second, squire, succor, uphold, wait on 7 backing, bail out, benefit, bolster, further, help out, pitch in, promote, relieve, support, sustain, work for 8 abetment, expedite, stump for, tide over, ...
Encyclopedia of Algorithms (2008)
by Ming-Yang Kao
The Boost Graph Library. Addison- Wesley ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Boost
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about boost
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun boost:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb boost:
Photos about Boost
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Mountain/\Ash
Photo credit: tomsbrain
Photo credit: keatssycamore
Photo credit: sherbonbon
- R327 Boost
Photo credit: airboy123
- Boost converter and nixie
Photo credit: phooky
- Civic with white BOOST
Photo credit: Jordan LAB
P-Town ollie. Nick Mitchell.
Photo credit: James Alby
- LEGO Boost
Photo credit: Brickset
- Tesco Boost replaces Exchange & Rewards
Photo credit: Karen V Bryan
- Sunrise Through The Trees Boost
Photo credit: camophoto
- Naomi Boost
Photo credit: D Simmonds
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Boost
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sonic Heroes (GC): Bop Boost Explanation
Enjoy live streams? TwitchTV...
- How Medicinal Mushrooms Boost Immunity - An Amazing Explanation
- Vocabulary Strategies That Boost Students' Reading Comprehension, Grades 2-6
- Learn English - Trendy English vocabulary: Unwind & boost | English Lessons
Learn English - Trendy English vocabulary: Unwind & boost How to learn trendy English words? Every new decade has some popular, fancy buzzwords which ...
- American Crew Boost Cream How To Enhance Natural Definition, Volume and Shine.
Anti-gravity volume cream with healthy shine. Take hair to new heights with American Crew Boost Cream. Formulated to enhance natural definition and ...
- Gundam EXVSFB - Boost Hop Glitch Explanation
As mentioned in the video, the glitch is related to the mini-hop mechanic, so suits that cannot minihop, such as Mobile Fighter suits, cannot use this technique.
- Interactive Vocabulary Strategies That Boost Student Learning and Achievement, Grades 6-12
- Boost Meaning
Video shows what boost means. A push from behind, as to one who is endeavoring to climb, help.. A positive intake manifold pressure in cars with turbochargers ...
- Gland-All Build Muscle - Build Muscle Mass and Strength - boost muscular definition
- ToyotaCare and Scion Service Boost Explanation
If you are shopping for a new Scion or Toyota, check out this video to learn about the additional, FREE services you get with your new vehicle! Watch in HD!
- Learn English Vocabulary: Lesson 1 | Boost Your English Listening and Speaking
Learn English vocabulary with this booster lesson.
- Boost your sales; Eliminate filler words from your vocabulary
Filler words like Um, Ah, You know, ruin the effectiveness of a sales presentation. Teaching someone to stop is almost impossible. This technique has immediate ...
- Boost Your Vocabulary and Become a Better Learner
- BOSSreaders Online Reading BOOST -- Learn Fluency, Vocabulary and Comprehension
- Day 49-WLLS. Boost your vocabulary.
Al Argo, The Positive Impact Coach and author of Walking Living Learning talks about the importance of attitude, based on his 1 hour walk while listening to The ...
- Sonic 4 Speed Boost Tip: Better Explanation and Demonstration
- How You Can Boost Your Childs Vocabulary
- Boost Your Vocabulary: 16 Words To Express Yourself Better
Go on enlighten yourself..!
- STOMPBOX FX Lill'box Overdrive #5 (TUBE mode - String Definition & "+Boost")
- How You Can Boost Your Child's Vocabulary
- Mark Bowden: 10 Body Language Hacks That Instantly Boost Your State Of Mind
10 Body Language Hacks That Instantly Boost Your State Of Mind:Mark Bowden...
- Master The Art of Body Language & Boost Your Confidence
The course is now live! It is available for purchase on udemy learning platform. Discount link...
- Briggs & Riley Verb Boost Convertible Brief SKU:#7924313
- Polyglot Workshops - Boost your learning with language learning experts
- VTLTY CHANNEL SELLER,BOOST (DESCRIPTION)
- Hi5 Boost product description.
- Briggs & Riley Verb Boost Convertible Brief
- Bassnectar - Verbing The Noun [Clean Bass Boost]
View more videos about To Boost.
See also the pronunciation examples of Boost!
Quotes about Boost
I'll tell you, I think that the Internet has provided an enormous boost to film criticism by giving people an opportunity to self publish or to find sites that are friendly. (Roger Ebert)
more quotes about boost...
Scrabble value of B3O1O1S1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BOOST
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Boost!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Boost to see it in context!