On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun body covering
What does body covering mean as a name of something?
- any covering for the body or a body part
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- more generic terms: cover / covering / natural covering = a natural object that covers or envelops
- more specific terms:
- hide / pelt / skin = body covering of a living animal
- feather / plumage / plume = the light horny waterproof structure forming the external covering of birds
- protective covering = the tough natural covering of some organisms
- tegument / cutis / skin = a natural protective body covering and site of the sense of touch
- exuviae = cast-off skins or coverings of various organisms during ecdysis
- hair = a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures
- headful = a covering over the surface of your head
- epicranium = the muscle and aponeurosis and skin covering the cranium
- exoskeleton = the exterior protective or supporting structure or shell of many animals (especially invertebrates) including bony or horny parts such as nails or scales or hoofs
- part: hypodermis = layer of cells that secretes the chitinous cuticle in e.g. arthropods
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Body Covering
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
Require a humid environment The body covering of centipedes is not waterproof and they easily die of desiccation. They are confined, therefore, to humid surroundings and are commonly found in leaf mold and compost heaps, under logs and ...
by Paras Nath
The external body covering of insects and nematodes that contains chitin in insects and keratin in nematodes; the external skeletal structure, secreted by the epidermis, composed of chitin and protein comprising several differentiated layers ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
Protection for a man's genitals—jockstrap Protection for broken limbs—plaster cast Protection for mollusc—cockleshell Protective accompaniment—escort Protective body covering—skin Protective case—sheath Protective charm— amulet, ...
Encyclopedia of Time (2013)
by Samuel L. Macey
In fact, had not the limy muds in which it was entombed preserved the delicate body covering of Archaeopteryx, it undoubtedly would have been considered to be a small dinosaur. AN EXTINCTION The age of reptiles came to a close at the ...
by Jill Bailey
There is usually a body covering of scales. They breathe by means of internal gills, which open to the outside through gill slits or pores. The bony fish have a skeleton of bone, only one external gill opening each side, which is covered by a flap ...
by William A. Colledge, Nathan Haskell Dole, George Jotham Hagar
The characters which separate the mammals primarily from other Vertebrata, and from all other animals, may be summed up in the definition that they are vertebrate animals possessing a typical body covering of hairs, and which nourish the ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
body association, band, bulk, cadaver, clique, collection, company, corporation, corpse, density, group, matter, set, society, substance, thickness body cavity atrium, sinus body cells tissue body covering skin body duct vas body framework ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Body Covering
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Body Covering
Click on an item to view that photo:
Splendid new body covering
Photo credit: robinkristianparker
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Body Covering to see it in context!