The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun authorities:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun authorities
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Authorities
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Authorities
- Photos about Authorities
- Video language resources about Authorities
- Quotes about Authorities
- Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1I1T1I1E1S1
- Share this page
Authorities is a member of the word family authority, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun authorities
What does authorities mean as a name of something?
- the organization that is the governing authority of a political unit
- example: the matter was referred to higher authorities
- domain: administration / governance / governing / government / government activity
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of authorities: government / regime
- more generic word: polity = a politically organized unit
- more specific terms:
- authoritarian regime / authoritarian state = a government that concentrates political power in an authority not responsible to the people
- bureaucracy = a government that is administered primarily by bureaus that are staffed with nonelective officials
- ancien regime = a political and social system that no longer governs
- royal court / court = the sovereign and his advisers who are the governing power of a state
- Downing Street = the British government
- empire = a group of countries under a single authority
- federal government = a government with strong central powers
- government-in-exile = a temporary government moved to or formed in a foreign land by exiles who hope to rule when their country is liberated
- local government = the government of a local area
- military government / stratocracy = government by the military and an army
- palace = the governing group of a kingdom
- pontificate / papacy = the government of the Roman Catholic Church
- puppet government / pupet regime / puppet state = a government that is appointed by and whose affairs are directed by an outside authority that may impose hardships on those governed
- state = the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state
- state government = the government of a state in the United States
- totalitation regime / totalitarian state = a government that subordinates the individual to the state and strictly controls all aspects of life by coercive measures
- administration / governing body / establishment / organisation / organization / governance / brass = the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something
- judicial system / judicatory / judicature / judiciary = the system of law courts that administer justice and constitute the judicial branch of government
- government department = a department of government
- legislative assembly / general assembly / legislative body / legislature / law-makers = persons who make or amend or repeal laws
- executive = persons who administer the law
- judiciary / bench = persons who administer justice
- division = an administrative unit in government or business
- government officials / officialdom = people elected or appointed to administer a government
Specialised definition of the noun authorities
Glossary of justice
judicial decisions or opinions of authors of repute used as grounds of statements of law
Authorities: This is a list of Authorities from the V science fiction franchise.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Authorities
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Early Evidence of Compliance Program Effectiveness Is Inconclusive by Leslie G. Aronovitz
Another possible indicator of effectiveness mentioned by law enforcement authorities is the frequency of disciplinary actions taken against noncompliant employees. Hospital officials in our study agreed that these measures could indicate ...
Lectio Divina (2011)
The Medieval Experience of Reading by Duncan Robertson
retained, however, from the ancient authorities is a respect for deep-rootedness in education—Quintilian values the exercise of writing, as noted above, for this reason—and a corresponding distrust of shallow precocity.12 memorization thus ...
Confessions of the Man from the Council by Malcolm Philips
ON THE FIDDLE The convoluted nature of big organisations such as local authorities means thatthey offeran infinite varietyof possibilities for playing the system and, inshort, nicking things. Vince introduced metoa moreorlesshonest way of ...
by Christoph Herrmann, Markus Krajewski, Jörg Philipp Terhechte
US trucking service providers by US regulatory authorities is the basis of comparison with the treatment . . . of Mexican trucking service providers . . . in determining whether the United States ...
Challenging Women (1999)
Gender, Culture and Organization by Su Maddock
There is a need for sustaining organizational cultures, but the reality in many public authorities is an intensification of work and the blame culture. The top- down systems approach to change gave rise to a huge interest in senior executives and ...
Dictionary Of Social Work (2010)
The Definitive A to Z of Social Work and Social Care by John Pierson
National Assistance Act 1948 a legal cornerstone of the welfare state giving local authorities the duty to provide residential accommodation for vulnerable adults who need it. This Act, introduced as part of the welfare state after the Second ...
No social legislation, no administrative measures per se can even reach the shadow of successful implementation without the co-operation of and coordination among the concerned authorities. Due to this reason that these authorities need to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Authorities
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Authorities
Click on an item to view that photo:
Ze Authorities are carrying very manly weaponry.
Photo credit: Sanne Roemen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Authorities
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Authorities!
Quotes about Authorities
Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1I1T1I1E1S1
The value of this 11-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Authorities to see it in context!