The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun author:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun author
- Definition of the verb author
- Other definitions of author
- Phrases with Author
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Author
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Author
- Photos about Author
- Video language resources about Author
- Sign language
- Quotes about Author
- Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1
- Anagrams of AUTHOR
- Share this page
The word author is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
The word author and its family (authored, authoring, authors, authorship) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun author
What does author mean as a name of something?
Author is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: authors
- writes (books or stories or articles or the like) professionally (for pay)
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of author: writer
- more generic word: communicator = a person who communicates with others
- more specific terms:
- abstracter / abstractor = one who makes abstracts or summarizes information
- alliterator = a speaker or writer who makes use of alliteration
- authoress = a woman author
- biographer = someone who writes an account of a person's life
- joint author / coauthor = a writer who collaborates with others in writing something
- commentator / reviewer = a writer who reports and analyzes events of the day
- compiler = a person who compiles information
- contributor = a writer whose work is published in a newspaper or magazine or as part of a book
- cyberpunk = a writer of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology
- drafter = a writer of a draft
- playwright / dramatist = someone who writes plays
- litterateur / essayist = a writer of literary works
- folk writer = a writer of folktales
- framer = someone who writes a new law or plan
- gagwriter / gagster / gagman = someone who writes comic material for public performers
- ghostwriter / ghost = a writer who gives the credit of authorship to someone else
- Gothic romancer = a writer of Gothic romances
- literary hack / hack writer / hack = a mediocre and disdained writer
- journalist = a writer for newspapers and magazines
- librettist = author of words to be set to music in an opera or operetta
- lyricist / lyrist = a person who writes the words for songs
- novelist = one who writes novels
- pamphleteer = a writer of pamphlets
- paragrapher = a writer of paragraphs
- poet = a writer of poems
- polemicist / polemist / polemic = a writer who argues in opposition to others
- rhymester / versifier / poetiser / poetizer / rhymer = a writer who composes rhymes
- scenarist = a writer of screenplays
- scriptwriter = someone who writes scripts for plays or movies or broadcast dramas
- space writer = a writer paid by the area of the copy
- speechwriter = a writer who composes speeches for others to deliver
- tragedian = a writer (especially a playwright) who writes tragedies
- wordmonger = a writer who uses language carelessly or pretentiously with little regard for meaning
- word-painter = a writer of vivid or graphic descriptive power
- wordsmith = a fluent and prolific writer
- Conrad Potter Aiken / Conrad Aiken / Aiken = United States writer
- Horatio Alger / Alger = United States author of inspirational adventure stories for boys
- Nelson Algren / Algren = United States writer
- Hans Christian Andersen / Andersen = a Danish author remembered for his fairy stories
- Sherwood Anderson / Anderson = United States author whose works were frequently autobiographical
- Louis Aragon / Aragon = French writer who generalized surrealism to literature
- Shalom Asch / Sholem Asch / Sholom Asch / Asch = United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish
- Isaac Asimov / Asimov = United States writer (born in Russia) noted for his science fiction
- Louis Stanton Auchincloss / Louis Auchincloss / Auchincloss = United States writer
- Jane Austen / Austen = English novelist noted for her insightful portrayals of middle-class families
- James Arthur Baldwin / James Baldwin / Baldwin = United States author who was an outspoken critic of racism
- Imamu Amiri Baraka / LeRoi Jones / Baraka = United States writer of poems and plays about racial conflict
- John Simmons Barth / John Barth / Barth = United States novelist
- Donald Barthelme / Barthelme = United States author of sometimes surrealistic stories
- Lyman Frank Brown / Frank Baum / Baum = United States writer of children's books
- Simone de Beauvoir / Beauvoir = French feminist and existentialist and novelist
- Samuel Beckett / Beckett = a playwright and novelist (born in Ireland) who lived in France
- Sir Henry Maxmilian Beerbohm / Max Beerbohm / Beerbohm = English writer and caricaturist
- Joseph Hilaire Peter Belloc / Hilaire Belloc / Belloc = English author (born in France) remembered especially for his verse for children
- Solomon Bellow / Saul Bellow / Bellow = United States author (born in Canada) whose novels influenced American literature after World War II
- Robert Charles Benchley / Robert Benchley / Benchley = United States humorist
- William Rose Benet / Benet = United States writer
- Ambrose Gwinett Bierce / Ambrose Bierce / Bierce = United States writer of caustic wit
- Heinrich Theodor Boell / Heinrich Boell / Boell = German novelist and writer of short stories
- Arna Wendell Bontemps / Bontemps = United States writer
- Jorge Luis Borges / Jorge Borges / Borges = Argentinian writer remembered for his short stories
- James Boswell / Boswell = Scottish author noted for his biography of Samuel Johnson
- Kay Boyle / Boyle = United States writer
- Ray Douglas Bradbury / Ray Bradbury / Bradbury = United States writer of science fiction
- Charlotte Bronte / Bronte = English novelist
- Emily Jane Bronte / Emily Bronte / Currer Bell / Bronte = English novelist
- Anne Bronte / Bronte = English novelist
- Charles Farrar Browne / Artemus Ward / Browne = United States writer of humorous tales of an itinerant showman
- Pearl Sydenstricker Buck / Pearl Buck / Buck = United States author whose novels drew on her experiences as a missionary in China
- John Bunyan / Bunyan = English preacher and author of an allegorical novel, Pilgrim's Progress
- Anthony Burgess / Burgess = English writer of satirical novels
- Frances Eliza Hodgson Burnett / Frances Hodgson Burnett / Burnett = United States writer (born in England) remembered for her novels for children
- Edgar Rice Burroughs / Burroughs = United States novelist and author of the Tarzan stories
- William Seward Burroughs / William S. Burroughs / William Burroughs / Burroughs = United States writer noted for his works portraying the life of drug addicts
- Samuel Butler / Butler = English novelist who described a fictitious land he called Erewhon
- James Branch Cabell / Cabell = United States writer of satirical novels
- Erskine Preston Caldwell / Erskine Caldwell / Caldwell = United States author remembered for novels about poverty and degeneration
- Italo Calvino / Calvino = Italian writer of novels and short stories (born in Cuba)
- Albert Camus / Camus = French writer who portrayed the human condition as isolated in an absurd world
- Elias Canetti / Canetti = English writer born in Germany
- Karel Capek / Capek = Czech writer who introduced the word `robot' into the English language
- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson / Reverend Dodgson / Charles Dodgson / Lewis Carroll / Carroll / Dodgson = English author
- Willa Sibert Cather / Willa Cather / Cather = United States writer who wrote about frontier life
- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra / Miguel de Cervantes / Cervantes Saavedra / Cervantes = Spanish writer best remembered for `Don Quixote' which satirizes chivalry and influenced the development of the novel form
- Raymond Thornton Chandler / Raymond Chandler / Chandler = United States writer of detective thrillers featuring the character of Philip Marlowe
- Francois Rene Chateaubriand / Vicomte de Chateaubriand / Chateaubriand = French statesman and writer
- John Cheever / Cheever = United States writer of novels and short stories
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton / G. K. Chesterton / Chesterton = conservative English writer of the Roman Catholic persuasion
- Kate O'Flaherty Chopin / Kate Chopin / Chopin = United States writer who described Creole life in Louisiana
- Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie / Agatha Christie / Christie = prolific English writer of detective stories
- Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill / Winston S. Churchill / Winston Churchill / Churchill = British statesman and leader during World War II
- Samuel Langhorne Clemens / Mark Twain / Clemens = United States writer and humorist best known for his novels about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn
- Jean Cocteau / Cocteau = French writer and film maker who worked in many artistic media
- Sidonie-Gabrielle Claudine Colette / Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette / Colette = French writer of novels about women
- William Wilkie Collins / Wilkie Collins / Collins = English writer noted for early detective novels
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle / Arthur Conan Doyle / A. Conan Doyle / Conan Doyle = British author who created Sherlock Holmes
- Teodor Josef Konrad Korzeniowski / Joseph Conrad / Conrad = English novelist (born in Poland) noted for sea stories and for his narrative technique
- James Fenimore Cooper / Cooper = United States novelist noted for his stories of American Indians and the frontier life
- Stephen Crane / Crane = United States writer
- Edward Estlin Cummings / e. e. cummings / cummings = United States writer noted for his typographically eccentric poetry
- Clarence Shepard Day Jr. / Clarence Day / Day = United States writer best known for his autobiographical works
- Daniel Defoe / Defoe = English writer remembered particularly for his novel about Robinson Crusoe
- Thomas De Quincey / De Quincey = English writer who described the psychological effects of addiction to opium
- Charles John Huffam Dickens / Charles Dickens / Dickens = English writer whose novels depicted and criticized social injustice
- Joan Didion / Didion = United States writer
- Baroness Karen Blixen / Isak Dinesen / Karen Blixen / Dinesen / Blixen = Danish writer who lived in Kenya for 19 years and is remembered for her writings about Africa
- Edgard Lawrence Doctorow / E. L. Doctorow / Doctorow = United States novelist
- John Roderigo Dos Passos / John Dos Passos / Dos Passos = United States novelist remembered for his portrayal of life in the United States
- Feodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky / Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky / Feodor Mikhailovich Dostoevski / Feodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky / Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevski / Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky / Feodor Dostoyevsky / Fyodor Dostoyevsky / Feodor Dostoevski / Feodor Dostoevsky / Fyodor Dostoevski / Fyodor Dostoevsky / Dostoyevsky / Dostoevski / Dostoevsky = Russian novelist who wrote of human suffering with humor and psychological insight
- Theodore Herman Albert Dreiser / Theodore Dreiser / Dreiser = United States novelist
- Alexandre Dumas / Dumas = French writer remembered for his swashbuckling historical tales
- George Louis Palmella Busson du Maurier / George du Maurier / du Maurier = English writer and illustrator
- Dame Daphne du Maurier / Daphne du Maurier / du Maurier = English writer of melodramatic novels
- Lawrence George Durrell / Lawrence Durrell / Durrell = English writer of Irish descent who spent much of his life in Mediterranean regions
- Ilya Grigorievich Ehrenberg / Ilya Ehrenberg / Ehrenberg = Russian novelist
- Mary Ann Evans / George Eliot / Eliot = British writer of novels characterized by realistic analysis of provincial Victorian society
- Ralph Waldo Ellison / Ralph Ellison / Ellison = United States novelist who wrote about a young Black man and his struggles in American society
- Ralph Waldo Emerson / Emerson = United States writer and leading exponent of transcendentalism
- James Thomas Farrell / Farrell = United States writer remembered for his novels
- Edna Ferber / Ferber = United States novelist
- Henry Fielding / Fielding = English novelist and dramatist
- Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald / F. Scott Fitzgerald / Fitzgerald = United States author whose novels characterized the Jazz Age in the United States
- Gustave Flaubert / Flaubert = French writer of novels and short stories
- Ian Lancaster Fleming / Ian Fleming / Fleming = British writer famous for writing spy novels about secret agent James Bond
- Ford Hermann Hueffer / Ford Madox Ford / Ford = English writer and editor
- Cecil Scott Forester / C. S. Forester / Forester = English writer of adventure novels featuring Captain Horatio Hornblower
- Jacques Anatole Francois Thibault / Anatole France / France = French writer of sophisticated novels and short stories
- Benjamin Franklin / Franklin = printer whose success as an author led him to take up politics; he helped draw up the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution; he played a major role in the American Revolution and negotiated French support for the colonists
- Carlos Fuentes / Fuentes = Mexican novelist
- Emile Gaboriau / Gaboriau = French writer considered by some to be a founder of the detective novel
- John Galsworthy / Galsworthy = English novelist
- Erle Stanley Gardner / Gardner = writer of detective novels featuring Perry Mason
- Elizabeth Cleghorn Stevenson Gaskell / Elizabeth Gaskell / Gaskell = English writer who is remembered for her biography of Charlotte Bronte
- Theodor Seuss Geisel / Dr. Seuss / Geisel = United States writer of children's books
- Kahlil Gibran / Gibran = United States writer (born in Lebanon)
- Andre Paul Guillaume Gide / Andre Gide / Gide = French author and dramatist who is regarded as the father of modern French literature
- Karl Gjellerup / Gjellerup = Danish novelist
- Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol / Gogol = Russian writer who introduced realism to Russian literature
- Sir William Gerald Golding / William Golding / Golding = English novelist
- Oliver Goldsmith / Goldsmith = Irish writer of novels and poetry and plays and essays
- Witold Gombrowicz / Gombrowicz = Polish author
- Edmond Louis Antoine Huot de Goncourt / Edmond de Goncourt / Goncourt = French writer who collaborated with his brother Jules de Goncourt on many books and who in his will established the Prix Goncourt
- Jules Alfred Huot de Goncourt / Jules de Goncourt / Goncourt = French writer who collaborated with his brother Edmond de Goncourt on many books
- Nadine Gordimer / Gordimer = South African novelist and short-story writer whose work describes the effects of apartheid
- Aleksey Maksimovich Peshkov / Aleksey Maximovich Peshkov / Maksim Gorky / Maxim Gorki / Gorki / Gorky = Russian writer of plays and novels and short stories
- Kenneth Grahame / Grahame = English writer (born in Scotland) of children's stories
- Gunter Wilhelm Grass / Gunter Grass / Grass = German writer of novels and poetry and plays
- Robert Ranke Graves / Robert Graves / Graves = English writer known for his interest in mythology and in the classics
- Henry Graham Greene / Graham Greene / Greene = English novelist and Catholic
- Zane Grey / Grey = United States writer of western adventure novels
- Jakob Ludwig Karl Grimm / Jakob Grimm / Grimm = the older of the two Grimm brothers remembered best for their fairy stories
- Wilhelm Karl Grimm / Wilhelm Grimm / Grimm = the younger of the two Grimm brothers remembered best for their fairy stories
- Sir Henry Rider Haggard / Rider Haggard / Haggard = British writer noted for romantic adventure novels
- Elizabeth Sanderson Haldane / Elizabeth Haldane / Haldane = Scottish writer and sister of Richard Haldane and John Haldane
- Edward Everett Hale / Hale = prolific United States writer
- Alex Haley / Haley = United States writer and Afro-American who wrote a fictionalized account of tracing his family roots back to Africa
- Marguerite Radclyffe Hall / Radclyffe Hall / Hall = English writer whose novel about a lesbian relationship was banned in Britain for many years
- Samuel Dashiell Hammett / Dashiell Hammett / Hammett = United States writer of hard-boiled detective fiction
- Knut Pedersen / Knut Hamsun / Hamsun = Norwegian writer of novels
- Thomas Hardy / Hardy = English novelist and poet
- James Thomas Harris / Frank Harris / Harris = Irish writer noted for his sexually explicit but unreliable autobiography
- Joel Chandler Harris / Joel Harris / Harris = United States author who wrote the stories about Uncle Remus
- Bret Harte / Harte = United States writer noted for his stories about life during the California gold rush
- Jaroslav Hasek / Hasek = Czech author of novels and short stories
- Nathaniel Hawthorne / Hawthorne = United States writer of novels and short stories mostly on moral themes
- Ben Hecht / Hecht = United States writer of stories and plays
- Robert Anson Heinlein / Robert A. Heinlein / Heinlein = United States writer of science fiction
- Joseph Heller / Heller = United States novelist whose best known work was a black comedy inspired by his experiences in the Air Force during World War II
- Ernest Hemingway / Hemingway = an American writer of fiction who won the Nobel prize for literature in 1954
- Hermann Hesse / Hesse = Swiss writer (born in Germany) whose novels and poems express his interests in eastern spiritual values
- Paul Johann Ludwig von Heyse / Paul Heyse / Heyse = German writer
- Edwin DuBois Hayward / DuBois Heyward / Heyward = United States writer
- Thomas Wentworth Storrow Higginson / Thomas Higginson / Higginson = United States writer and soldier who led the first Black regiment in the Union Army
- Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann / Ernst Theodor Wilhelm Hoffmann / E. T. A. Hoffmann / Hoffmann = German writer of fantastic tales
- Oliver Wendell Holmes / Holmes = United States writer of humorous essays
- William Dean Howells / Howells = United States writer and editor
- Edmond Hoyle / Hoyle = English writer on card games
- L. Ron Hubbard / Hubbard = a United States writer of science fiction and founder of Scientology
- James Langston Hughes / Langston Hughes / Hughes = United States writer
- James Henry Leigh Hunt / Leigh Hunt / Hunt = British writer who defended the Romanticism of Keats and Shelley
- Aldous Leonard Huxley / Aldous Huxley / Huxley = English writer
- John Irving / Irving = United States writer of darkly humorous novels
- Washington Irving / Irving = United States writer remembered for his stories
- Christopher William Bradshaw Isherwood / Christopher Isherwood / Isherwood = United States writer (born in England) whose best known novels portray Berlin in the 1930's and who collaborated with W. H. Auden in writing plays in verse
- Helen Maria Fiske Hunt Jackson / Helen Hunt Jackson / Jackson = United States writer of romantic novels about the unjust treatment of Native Americans
- Jane Jacobs / Jacobs = United States writer and critic of urban planning
- William Wymark Jacobs / W. W. Jacobs / Jacobs = English writer of macabre short stories
- Henry James / James = writer who was born in the United States but lived in England
- Johannes Vilhelm Jensen / Jensen = modernistic Danish writer
- Samuel Johnson / Dr. Johnson / Johnson = English writer and lexicographer
- Erica Jong / Jong = United States writer
- James Augustine Aloysius Joyce / James Joyce / Joyce = influential Irish writer noted for his many innovations (such as stream of consciousness writing)
- Franz Kafka / Kafka = Czech novelist who wrote in German about a nightmarish world of isolated and troubled individuals
- Helen Adams Keller / Helen Keller / Keller = United States lecturer and writer who was blind and deaf from the age of 19 months; Anne Sullivan taught her to read and write and speak
- Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac / Jack Kerouac / Kerouac = United States writer who was a leading figure of the beat generation
- Ken Elton Kesey / Ken Kesey / Kesey = United States writer whose best-known novel was based on his experiences as an attendant in a mental hospital
- Joseph Rudyard Kipling / Rudyard Kipling / Kipling = English author of novels and poetry who was born in India
- Arthur Koestler / Koestler = British writer (born in Hungary) who wrote a novel exposing the Stalinist purges during the 1930s
- Jean de La Fontaine / La Fontaine = French writer who collected Aesop's fables and published them
- Ringgold Wilmer Lardner / Ring Lardner / Lardner = United States humorist and writer of satirical short stories
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld / La Rochefoucauld = French writer of moralistic maxims
- David Herbert Lawrence / D. H. Lawrence / Lawrence = English novelist and poet and essayist whose work condemned industrial society and explored sexual relationships
- Thomas Edward Lawrence / Lawrence of Arabia / T. E. Lawrence / Lawrence = Welsh soldier who from 1916 to 1918 organized the Arab revolt against the Turks
- David John Moore Cornwell / John le Carre / le Carre = English writer of novels of espionage
- Elmore John Leonard / Elmore Leonard / Dutch Leonard / Leonard = United States writer of thrillers
- Mikhail Yurievich Lermontov / Lermontov = Russian writer
- Doris May Lessing / Doris Lessing / Lessing = English author of novels and short stories who grew up in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
- Clive Staples Lewis / C. S. Lewis / Lewis = English critic and novelist
- Harry Sinclair Lewis / Sinclair Lewis / Lewis = United States novelist who satirized middle-class America in his novel Main Street
- John Griffith Chaney / Jack London / London = United States writer of novels based on experiences in the Klondike gold rush
- Clarence Malcolm Lowry / Malcolm Lowry / Lowry = English novelist
- John Lyly / Lyly = English writer noted for his elaborate style
- Edward George Earle Bulwer-Lytton / First Baron Lytton / Bulwer-Lytton / Lytton = English writer of historical romances
- Norman Mailer / Mailer = United States writer
- Bernard Malamud / Malamud = United States writer
- Sir Thomas Malory / Thomas Malory / Malory = English writer who published a translation of romances about King Arthur taken from French and other sources
- Andre Malraux / Malraux = French novelist
- Thomas Mann / Mann = German writer concerned about the role of the artist in bourgeois society
- Kathleen Mansfield Beauchamp / Katherine Mansfield / Mansfield = New Zealand writer of short stories
- Alessandro Manzoni / Manzoni = Italian novelist and poet
- John Philip Marquand / John Marquand / Marquand = United States writer who created the Japanese detective Mr. Moto and wrote other novels as well
- Ngaio Marsh / Marsh = New Zealand writer of detective stories
- Alfred Edward Woodley Mason / A. E. W. Mason / Mason = English writer
- William Somerset Maugham / W. Somerset Maugham / Somerset Maugham / Maugham = English writer (born in France) of novels and short stories
- Henri Rene Albert Guy de Maupassant / Guy de Maupassant / Maupassant = French writer noted especially for his short stories
- Francois Charles Mauriac / Francois Mauriac / Mauriac = French novelist who wrote about the conflict between desire and religious belief
- Andre Maurois / Emile Herzog / Maurois = French writer best known for his biographies
- Mary Therese McCarthy / Mary McCarthy / McCarthy = United States satirical novelist and literary critic
- Carson Smith McCullers / Carson McCullers / McCullers = United States novelist
- Herbert Marshall McLuhan / Marshall McLuhan / McLuhan = Canadian writer noted for his analyses of the mass media
- Herman Melville / Melville = United States writer of novels and short stories
- Thomas Merton / Merton = United States religious and writer
- James Albert Michener / James Michener / Michener = United States writer of historical novels
- Henry Valentine Miller / Henry Miller / Miller = United States novelist whose novels were originally banned as pornographic
- Alan Alexander Milne / A. A. Milne / Milne = English writer of stories for children
- Margaret Munnerlyn Mitchell / Margaret Mitchell / Mitchell = United States writer noted for her novel about the South during the American Civil War
- Nancy Freeman Mitford / Nancy Mitford / Mitford = English writer of comic novels
- Jessica Lucy Mitford / Jessica Mitford / Mitford = United States writer (born in England) who wrote on American culture
- Michel Eyquem Montaigne / Michel Montaigne / Montaigne = French writer regarded as the originator of the modern essay
- Lucy Maud Montgomery / L. M. Montgomery / Montgomery = Canadian novelist
- Sir Thomas More / Thomas More / More = English statesman who opposed Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon and was imprisoned and beheaded
- Chloe Anthony Wofford / Toni Morrison / Morrison = United States writer whose novels describe the lives of African-Americans
- Hector Hugh Munro / H. H. Munro / Munro / Saki = British writer of short stories
- Dame Jean Iris Murdoch / Iris Murdoch / Murdoch = British writer (born in Ireland) known primarily for her novels
- Louis Charles Alfred de Musset / Alfred de Musset / Musset = French poet and writer
- Vladimir vladimirovich Nabokov / Vladimir Nabokov / Nabokov = United States writer (born in Russia)
- Ogden Nash / Nash = United States writer noted for his droll epigrams
- Sir Harold George Nicolson / Harold Nicolson / Nicolson = English diplomat and author
- Benjamin Franklin Norris Jr. / Frank Norris / Norris = United States writer
- Joyce Carol Oates / Oates = United States writer
- Edna O'Brien / O'Brien = Irish writer
- Mary Flannery O'Connor / Flannery O'Connor / O'Connor = United States writer
- Liam O'Flaherty / O'Flaherty = Irish writer of short stories
- John Henry O'Hara / O'Hara = United States writer
- Philip Michael Ondaatje / Michael Ondaatje / Ondaatje = Canadian writer
- Baroness Emmusca Orczy / Orczy = British writer (born in Hungary)
- Eric Arthur Blair / George Orwell / Eric Blair / Orwell = imaginative British writer concerned with social justice
- Thomas Nelson Page / Page = United States diplomat and writer about the Old South
- Dorothy Rothschild Parker / Dorothy Parker / Parker = United States writer noted for her sharp wit
- Boris Leonidovich Pasternak / Boris Pasternak / Pasternak = Russian writer whose best known novel was banned by Soviet authorities but translated and published abroad
- Alan Stewart Paton / Alan Paton / Paton = South African writer
- Walker Percy / Percy = United States writer whose novels explored human alienation
- Petronius Arbiter / Gaius Petronius / Petronius = Roman satirist
- Sylvia Plath / Plath = United States writer and poet
- Gaius Plinius Secundus / Pliny the Elder / Pliny = Roman author of an encyclopedic natural history
- Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus / Pliny the Younger / Pliny = Roman writer and nephew of Pliny the Elder
- Edgar Allan Poe / Poe = United States writer and poet
- William Sydney Porter / O. Henry / Porter = United States writer of short stories whose pen name was O. Henry
- Katherine Anne Porter / Porter = United States writer of novels and short stories
- Emily Price Post / Emily Post / Post = United States female author who wrote a book and a syndicated newspaper column on etiquette
- Ezra Loomis Pound / Ezra Pound / Pound = United States writer who lived in Europe
- John Cowper Powys / Powys = British writer of novels about nature
- Theodore Francis Powys / Powys = British writer of allegorical novels
- Llewelyn Powys / Powys = British writer of essays
- Howard Pyle / Pyle = United States writer and illustrator of children's books
- Thomas Pynchon / Pynchon = United States writer of pessimistic novels about life in a technologically advanced society
- Ayn Rand / Rand = United States writer (born in Russia) noted for her polemical novels and political conservativism
- Mordecai Richler / Richler = Canadian novelist
- Kenneth Roberts / Roberts = United States writer remembered for his historical novels about colonial America
- Anna Eleanor Roosevelt / Eleanor Roosevelt / Roosevelt = wife of Franklin Roosevelt and a strong advocate of human rights
- Philip Milton Roth / Philip Roth / Roth = United States writer whose novels portray middle-class Jewish life
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau / Rousseau = French philosopher and writer born in Switzerland; believed that the natural goodness of man was warped by society
- Alfred Damon Runyon / Damon Runyon / Runyon = United States writer of humorous stylized stories about Broadway and the New York underground
- Ahmed Salman Rushdie / Salman Rushdie / Rushdie = British writer of novels who was born in India
- George William Russell / Russell / A.E. = Irish writer whose pen name was A.E.
- Comte Donatien Alphonse Francois de Sade / Marquis de Sade / de Sade / Sade = French soldier and writer whose descriptions of sexual perversion gave rise to the term `sadism'
- Jerome David Salinger / J. D. Salinger / Salinger = United States writer
- Amandine Aurore Lucie Dupin / Baroness Dudevant / George Sand / Sand = French writer known for works concerning women's rights and independence
- Carl Sandburg / Sandburg = United States writer remembered for his poetry in free verse and his six volume biography of Abraham Lincoln
- William Saroyan / Saroyan = United States writer of plays and short stories
- Dorothy Leigh Sayers / Dorothy L. Sayers / Dorothy Sayers / Sayers = English writer of detective fiction
- Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller / Schiller = German romantic writer
- Sir Walter Scott / Walter Scott / Scott = British author of historical novels and ballads
- Robert William Service / Service = Canadian writer (born in England) who wrote about life in the Yukon Territory
- George Bernard Shaw / G. B. Shaw / Shaw = British playwright
- Mary Godwin Wollstonecraft Shelley / Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley / Mary Shelley / Shelley = English writer who created Frankenstein's monster and married Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Nevil Shute Norway / Nevil Shute / Shute = English novelist who settled in Australia after World War II
- Georges Joseph Christian Simenon / Georges Simenon / Simenon = French writer (born in Belgium) best known for his detective novels featuring Inspector Maigret
- Upton Beall Sinclair / Upton Sinclair / Sinclair = United States writer whose novels argued for social reform
- Isaac Bashevis Singer / Singer = United States writer (born in Poland) of Yiddish stories and novels
- Tobias George Smollett / Tobias Smollett / Smollett = Scottish writer of adventure novels
- Baron Snow of Leicester / Charles Percy Snow / C. P. Snow / Snow = English writer of novels about moral dilemmas in academe
- Alexander Isayevich Solzhenitsyn / Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn / Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn / Solzhenitsyn = Soviet writer and political dissident whose novels exposed the brutality of Soviet labor camps
- Susan Sontag / Sontag = United States writer
- Muriel Sarah Spark / Dame Muriel Spark / Muriel Spark / Spark = Scottish writer of satirical novels
- Frank Morrison Spillane / Mickey Spillane / Spillane = United States writer of popular detective novels
- Baronne Anne Louise Germaine Necker de Steal-Holstein / Madame de Stael / Stael = French romantic writer
- Sir Richrd Steele / Steele = English writer
- Gertrude Stein / Stein = experimental expatriate United States writer
- John Ernst Steinbeck / John Steinbeck / Steinbeck = United States writer noted for his novels about agricultural workers
- Marie Henri Beyle / Stendhal = French writer whose novels were the first to feature psychological analysis of the character
- Sir Leslie Stephen / Stephen = English writer
- Laurence Sterne / Sterne = English writer (born in Ireland)
- Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson / Robert Louis Stevenson / Stevenson = Scottish author
- Francis Richard Stockton / Frank Stockton / Stockton = United States writer
- Abraham Stoker / Bram Stoker / Stoker = Irish writer of the horror novel about Dracula
- Harriet Elizabeth Beecher Stowe / Harriet Beecher Stowe / Stowe = United States writer of a novel about slavery that advanced the abolitionists' cause
- William Styron / Styron = United States writer best known for his novels
- Eugene Sue / Sue = French writer whose novels described the sordid side of city life
- John Addington Symonds / Symonds = English writer
- Sir Rabindranath Tagore / Rabindranath Tagore / Tagore = Indian writer and philosopher whose poetry (based on traditional Hindu themes) pioneered the use of colloquial Bengali
- Ida Minerva Tarbell / Ida M. Tarbell / Ida Tarbell / Tarbell = United States writer remembered for her muckraking investigations into industries in the early 20th century
- William Makepeace Thackeray / Thackeray = English writer (born in India)
- Henry David Thoreau / Thoreau = United States writer and social critic
- Alexis Charles Henri Maurice de Tocqueville / Alexis de Tocqueville / Tocqueville = French political writer noted for his analysis of American institutions
- Alice B. Toklas / Toklas = United States writer remembered as the secretary and companion of Gertrude Stein
- John Ronald Reuel Tolkien / J.R.R. Tolkien / Tolkien = British philologist and writer of fantasies (born in South Africa)
- Count Lev Nikolayevitch Tolstoy / Leo Tolstoy / Tolstoy = Russian author remembered for two great novels
- Anthony Trollope / Trollope = English writer of novels
- Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev / Ivan Turgenev / Turgenev = Russian writer of stories and novels and plays
- Sigrid Undset / Undset = Norwegian novelist
- Louis Untermeyer / Untermeyer = United States writer
- John Hoyer Updike / John Updike / Updike = United States author
- Carl Clinton Van Doren / Carl Van Doren / Van Doren = United States writer and literary critic
- Jorge Mario Pedro Vargas Llosa / Mario Vargas Llosa / Vargas Llosa = Peruvian writer
- Jules Verne / Verne = French writer who is considered the father of science fiction
- Eugene Luther Vidal / Gore Vidal / Vidal = United States writer
- Francois-Marie Arouet / Voltaire / Arouet = French writer who was the embodiment of 18th century Enlightenment
- Kurt Vonnegut / Vonnegut = United States writer whose novels and short stories are a mixture of realism and satire and science fiction
- John Barrington Wain / John Wain / Wain = English writer
- Alice Malsenior Walker / Alice Walker / Walker = United States writer
- Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace / Edgar Wallace / Wallace = English writer noted for his crime novels
- Fourth Earl of Orford / Horatio Walpole / Horace Walpole / Walpole = English writer and historian
- Izaak Walton / Walton = English writer remember for his treatise on fishing
- Mary Augusta Arnold Ward / Mrs. Humphrey Ward / Ward = English writer of novels who was an active opponent of the women's suffrage movement
- Robert Penn Warren / Warren = United States writer and poet
- Evelyn Arthur Saint John Waugh / Evelyn Waugh / Waugh = English author of satirical novels
- Martha Beatrice Potter Webb / Beatrice Webb / Webb = English writer and a central member of the Fabian Society
- Herbert George Wells / H. G. Wells / Wells = prolific English writer best known for his science-fiction novels
- Eudora Welty / Welty = United States writer about rural southern life
- Franz Werfel / Werfel = United States writer
- Cicily Isabel Fairfield / Dame Rebecca West / Rebecca West / West = British writer (born in Ireland)
- Edith Newbold Jones Wharton / Edith Wharton / Wharton = United States novelist
- Elwyn Brooks White / E. B. White / White = United States writer noted for his humorous essays
- Patrick Victor Martindale White / Patrick White / White = Australian writer
- Eliezer Wiesel / Elie Wiesel / Wiesel = United States writer (born in Romania) who survived Nazi concentration camps and is dedicated to keeping alive the memory of the Holocaust
- Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde / Oscar Wilde / Wilde = Irish writer and wit
- Thornton Niven Wilder / Thornton Wilder / Wilder = United States writer and dramatist
- Angus Frank Johnstone Wilson / Sir Angus Wilson / Wilson = English writer of novels and short stories
- Harriet Wilson / Wilson = author of the first novel by an African American that was published in the United States
- Owen Wister / Wister = United States writer
- Pelham Grenville Wodehouse / P. G. Wodehouse / Wodehouse = English writer known for his humorous novels and stories
- Thomas Clayton Wolfe / Thomas Wolfe / Wolfe = United States writer best known for his autobiographical novels
- Thomas Kennerly Wolfe Jr. / Thomas Wolfe / Tom Wolfe / Wolfe = United States writer who has written extensively on American culture
- Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin / Mary Wollstonecraft / Wollstonecraft = English writer and early feminist who denied male supremacy and advocated equal education for women
- Ellen Price Wood / Mrs. Henry Wood / Wood = English writer of novels about murders and thefts and forgeries
- Adeline Virginia Stephen Woolf / Virginia Woolf / Woolf = English author whose work used such techniques as stream of consciousness and the interior monologue
- Herman Wouk / Wouk = United States writer
- Richard Wright / Wright = United States writer whose work is concerned with the oppression of African Americans
- Willard Huntington Wright / S. S. Van Dine / Wright = United States writer of detective novels
- Israel Zangwill / Zangwill = English writer
- Stefan Zweig / Zweig = Austrian writer
- someone who originates or causes or initiates something
Alternative definition of the noun author
- The originator or creator of a work, especially of a literary composition.
- Someone who writes books for a living.
- A source of information.
Definition of the verb author
What does author mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: authored | authoring | authors
- be the author of
- examples: She authored this play | Did he author his major works over a short period of time?
- domain: authorship / composition / penning / writing
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- more generic words: compose / indite / pen / write = produce a literary work
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb author
- [chiefly US] To create a work as its author.
Other definitions of author
What does author also mean?
- [dated] [qualifier, said by audience members after a performance] Please perform again!
- synonym: encore!
Author is a Czech brand of bicycles, bike accessories and sporting goods. The brand was founded in 1993. Author manufactured bicycles in the categories of road bikes, mountain bikes, Cross-country bicycles, Touring, Freestyle, Junior and Women's Round.
Author a.k.a. Young Writer is a fictional character from the 2014 film The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- "Author" is a book by Helen Lester.
- "Author" a.k.a. "Author!" is a published work, written work, work of fiction, short story.
- author: P. G. Wodehouse
"Author" is a musical album of Author.
- released on
- Author a.k.a. Writer: A writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate ideas. Writers produce various forms of literary art and creative writing such as novels, short stories, poetry, plays, news articles, screenplays, or essays. Skilled writers are able to use language to express ideas and their work contributes significantly to the cultural content of a society. The word is also used elsewhere in the arts – such as songwriter – but as a standalone term, "writer" normally refers to the creation of written language. Some writers work from an oral tradition.
- read more about Writer
- Author: The person (or other entity, eg.
- The author of this work.
- Author: This is the primary writer for this title.
- Author: Gives the name or contact information of one of the authors or creators of the work.
- Author: The original creator of the story.
- Author: An author is the creator of a piece of music. The sole fact of creating a sequence of notes, even if they are not written on paper, might give someone the title of author of a melody, chords sequence or arrangement. See composer.
Phrases with Author
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Author
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Desrochers, Nadine
As such, the author is the person responsible for the text itself, as well as for what it states and, therefore, the author is the one legitimating it. As such, the...
In this context, the author is a function necessary to the understanding of the text. Often ...
Luke's Gospel (1998)
by Jonathan Knight, Jonathan Morshead Knight
The real author is the person who puts the pen to paper and leaves the text in its finished form.
Cobb's Abridgment of J. Walker's Critical Pronouncing Dictionary, and Expositor of the English Language, Carefully Compiled from the London Quarto Editions, Published Under the Inspection of the Author; in which Mr. Walker's Principles of Orthography and Pronunciation are Strictly Followed ... to which are Prefixed Concise Principles of Pronunciation, and Rules for Accentuation and the Division of Words: with an Appendix, Containing a Class of Words which are in Common Use in this Country, and Not Found in Walker's Dictionary (1841)
Particularly Designed for the Use of Schools by John Walker, Lyman Cobb
By Lyman Cobb, Author of the Spelling Book." • . In conformity to the Act of the Congress of the United States, entitled, " An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of Maps, ...
Doyle Gilligan is the publisher of Lumen Christi Press in Houston, Texas, and the author of several devotional books. Gilligan is an alumnus of Northwestern University and did graduate work in English at the University of Chicago.
A Botanical Dictionary (1805)
Or, Elements of Systematic and Philosophical Botany by Colin Milne
man, author of a Treatise on the Structure of Flowers, and of several curious botanical .papers in the Memoirs of the French Academy. Ruppia, Lin. from Ruppius, a German, author of the Flora Jenenjis, and of an Improvement of Rivinus's ...
by Elizabeth Knowles
The most significant words from each quotation are indexed with a reference to the author, the page on which the quotation appears, and the number of the quotation within the page (see Keyword Index below).
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Author
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Author
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Author
Click on an item to play that video:
- Brendan Myers, Author "Circles of Meaning Labyrinths of Fear" Interview with Nadiya Shah
Nadiya Shah is the author of the Syndicated Sun Sign Column "Nadiya's Zodiac Starcast," and is one of the few people in the world to hold an M.A. in the ...
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 Vocabulary from Gateways Author Dr Isabel Beck
Noted author Dr. Isabel Beck discusses Tier 1 and Tier 2 Vocabulary, and the research on tiers of words & why Tier 2 words are the focus of instruction in the ...
- The Meaning of Writing and Water with author Nina Munteanu
What does water mean to you? Water is emerging as one of the single most important resources of Planet Earth. Already scarce in some areas, it has become ...
- Golden Compass Author on the Nature and Meaning of Dust
A conversation between The Golden Compass author Philip Pullman and Donna Freitas author of Killing the Imposter God on the meaning and nature of "dust" ...
- The Meaning - Author Steve Taylor reads from THE CALM CENTER
Author Steve Taylor reads "The Meaning" from his book THE CALM CENTER, which is an inaugural title in Eckhart Tolle's new publishing imprint with New ...
- MICHIGAN author Keith Folse talks about vocabulary log features in 4 Point
MICHIGAN ELT author Keith Folse talks about the importance of keeping vocabulary logs from his own experience as a language learner (of Japanese).
- Awakenings Author Explanation
- Analyze an author's stylistic choices and how they contribute to the meaning of the text
- Flat World Navigation Author Explains the Meaning behind (DACE)
Flat World Navigation author Kim Chandler-Macdonald discusses the meaning behind the foundations of the DACE (Digital, Attention and Collaboration ...
- Bestselling Author Eric Metaxas Finds Meaning of Life in a Dream
Bestselling author Eric Metaxas was a smart kid who graduated from Yale but still searched for the meaning to his life . Until a divine dream ended his journey.
- Author's Purpose Vocabulary - Mrs. Borden and Mrs. Jones' 3rd grade class
Vocabulary words to correspond with the author's purpose Student Learning Map. Polk County Florida.
- "Meaning of Namaste" by Anil Gupta, Author of Immediate Happiness
Anil Gupta explains the significance of this greeting that he has used for 40 odd years in complete ignorance.It is simple and powerful and full of a deeper ...
- 8th grader guesses definition of Indefatigability- John Shufeldt author of Ingredients
John Shufeldt, author of the Outlier Series and physician entrepreneur, spoke to the 2014 Mesa Public Schools Aviation Camp about the meaning of ...
- Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) Author Interview
An innovative new measure, the Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) present full-color photographs to measure the breadth of an individual's vocabulary and ...
- Author Ace Collins on The Meaning of Xmas - CBN.com
The author discusses why people shorten Christmas to Xmas and why it all means Christ.
- Robert Tracy McKenzie, author of The First Thanksgiving, on The Meaning of History
It is common for historians to look at the past to determine what happened and when it happened but most shy away from trying to understanding why it ...
- Academic Vocabulary - Reading - Author's Purpose
- Purpose of the Book 'Practicality and Conviction', Explanation by author Dr. Mukesh Setia
Author explained the purpose of the book(Practicality and Conviction - The interpretation of Holy book Hanuman Chalisa in English language for the very first ...
- Author Jacque D'Artichoke, J.D., Speaks About Meaning
- Author Mark Perlman Shares the Meaning of Nurturing
Author Mark Perlman Shares the Meaning of Nurturing.
- Author's description of his book
- Dr.Ujjwal Patni: Workshop Body Language- II, Corporate Trainer | Motivational Speaker| Author.
To invite him for Training in your organisation, pls call at 09229386002, 07024148700. You can also mail at [email protected] For other details, log on ...
- Language Learning, Technology and Motivation - Ken Wilson, ELT Author and Trainer
What is essential when learning a new language? Perhaps, it's motivation, having curiosity and wanting to learn. Or is it being immersed in a culture where that ...
- The Best "Expressive Language" Apps - A Review by Speech Therapist and Author, Lois Brady
Author Lois Brady knows first-hand which apps work best for which need. As a speech therapist, Lois routinely incorporates "iTherapy" with her growing roster of ...
- Author Marketing Checklist - Write a Compelling Book Description
- Janine Driver: Body Language Expert, New York Times Best Selling Author, Keynote Speaker
A popular keynote speaker, media expert for NBC's TODAY Show, 20/20, CNN, Anderson Cooper, Katie, and the Dr. Oz Show, Janine Driver is the Founder, ...
- Forgiveness The Divine Connection Book Author Description
Clairvoyant intuitive psychic Cindy Goldenberg's amazing new book features metaphysical principles from "The Secret." "Forgivess~TheDivine Connection," ...
- Author Tonya Reiman Gets Personal About Her Book, "The Body Language of Dating"
By Video Journalist Dan Brenner Tonya Reiman talks about her new book, "The Body Language of Dating," at the Book Revue in Huntington. Featured ...
- Greg Williams The Master Negotiator & Body Language Expert Presentation at Author 101 University
This is a video of Greg Williams, The Master Negotiator & Body Language Expert presenting at Rick Frishman's Author 101 Conference. Greg informed the ...
- Author 101 University - Body Language Presentation - FULL
Patryk Wezowski & Kasia Wezowski, Founders Speaking at Author 101 University by Rick Frishman.
See also the pronunciation examples of Author!
A Sign Language Lesson With Leslie Campa, Author & Butterfly Fairy
Quotes about Author
Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AUTHOR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Author!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Author to see it in context!