The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun art:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun art:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun art
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Art
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Art
- Photos about Art
- Videos about Art
- Sign language
- Quotes about Art
- Scrabble value of A1R1T1
- Anagrams of ART
- Share this page
Art is sometimes a misspelling of dart.
The word art is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun art
What does art mean as a name of something?
Art is one of the top 1000 most common nouns. It is used mostly in informational writing, being one of the top 1000 most common nouns in informational written English.
noun - plural: arts
- the products of human creativity; works of art collectively
- examples: an art exhibition | a collection of fine art
- domain: artistic creation / artistic production
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of art: fine art
- more generic word: creation = an artifact that has been brought into existence by someone
- more specific terms:
- artificial flower = a handmade imitation of a blossom
- commercial art = art used for commercial purposes
- cyberart = art that is produced with the help of computer hardware and software
- decoupage = art produced by decorating a surface with cutouts and then coating it with several layers of varnish or lacquer
- diptych = a painting or carving (especially an altarpiece) on two panels
- treasure / gem = art highly prized for its beauty or perfection
- genre = a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique
- graphic art = the arts of drawing or painting or printmaking
- grotesque = art characterized by an incongruous mixture of parts of humans and animals interwoven with plants
- kitsch = excessively garish or sentimental art
- mosaic = art consisting of a design made of small pieces of colored stone or glass
- plastic art = the arts of shaping or modeling
- triptych = art consisting of a painting or carving (especially an altarpiece) on three panels
- work of art = art that is a product of one of the fine arts
- dance = an artistic form of nonverbal communication
- the creation of beautiful or significant things
- examples: art does not need to be innovative to be good | I was never any good at art | he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of art: artistic creation / artistic production
- more generic terms: creation / creative activity = the human act of creating
- more specific terms:
- arts and crafts = the arts of decorative design and handicraft
- ceramics = the art of making and decorating pottery
- decalcomania = the art of transfering designs from specially prepared paper to a wood or glass or metal surface
- decoupage = the art of decorating a surface with shapes or pictures and then coating it with varnish or lacquer
- draftsmanship / drafting / drawing = the creation of artistic pictures or diagrams
- glyptography = carving or engraving
- gastronomy = the art and practice of choosing and preparing and eating good food
- origami = the Japanese art of folding paper into shapes representing objects
- painting = creating a picture with paints
- perfumery = the art of making perfumes
- printmaking = artistic design and manufacture of prints as woodcuts or silkscreens
- sculpture / carving = creating figures or designs in three dimensions
- topiary = making decorative shapes by trimming shrubs or trees
- a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
- examples: the art of conversation | it's quite an art
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of art: artistry / prowess
- more generic term: superior skill = more than ordinary ability
- more specific words:
- airmanship / aviation = the art of operating aircraft
- eristic = the art of logical disputation
- falconry = the art of training falcons to hunt and return
- fortification = the art or science of strengthening defenses
- homiletics = the art of preaching
- horology = the art of designing and making clocks
- minstrelsy = the art of a minstrel
- musicianship = artistry in performing music
- oenology / enology = the art of wine making
- puppetry = the art of making puppets and presenting puppet shows
- taxidermy = the art of mounting the skins of animals so that they have lifelike appearance
- telescopy = the art of making and using telescopes
- ventriloquism / ventriloquy = the art of projecting your voice so that it seems to come from another source
- photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of art: artwork / graphics / nontextual matter
- more generic term: visual communication = communication that relies on vision
- more specific words:
- part of: publication = a copy of a printed work offered for distribution
Alternative definition of the noun art
- [uncountable] Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.[fact]
- [uncountable] The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
- [uncountable] Activity intended to make something special.
- [uncountable] A re-creation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgements.
- [uncountable] The study and the product of these processes.
- [uncountable] Aesthetic value.
- [context: uncountable, printing] Artwork.
- [countable] A field or category of art, such as painting, sculpture, music, ballet, or literature.
- [countable] A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.
- [countable] Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation.
- Art a.k.a. Tyson Chandler: Tyson Cleotis Chandler is an American professional basketball center with the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association. Chandler was the second overall pick of the 2001 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers, then was immediately traded to the Chicago Bulls. He has also played for the New Orleans Hornets, Charlotte Bobcats, and New York Knicks. As starting center for Dallas, he played an integral role in the franchise's first NBA championship in 2011. He was also a member of the United States men's national basketball team's gold medal runs in the 2010 FIBA World Championship and the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- read more about Tyson Chandler
- Art a.k.a. Art Metrano: Arthur "Art" Metrano is an American actor and comedian, born in Brooklyn, New York City. Metrano may be best known for his role as Lt./Capt./Cmdt. Mauser in Police Academy 2 and Police Academy 3.
- read more about Art Metrano (actor)
- Art a.k.a. Art Babbitt: Arthur Harold Babitsky, better known as Art Babbitt, was an American animator, best known for his work at The Walt Disney Company. He received over 80 awards as animation director and animator, and also created the character of Goofy. Babbitt worked as an animator or animation director on such films as The Three Little Pigs, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and The Incredible Mr. Limpet, among others.
- read more about Art Babbitt
- Art a.k.a. Art Wood: Arthur "Art" Wood was a British blues, pop and rock singer, who led The Artwoods in the 1960s and subsequently became a graphic artist. He was the brother of Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones.
- read more about Art Wood
- art a.k.a. Sudhendu Roy was a noted Indian film director, art director and production designer in Hindi cinema, most known for his realistic art direction in auteur Bimal Roy's films, like Sujata, Madhumati and Bandini, and glitzy work in films Subhash Ghai's Karz and Karma to Yash Chopra's Silsila, Chandni and Lamhe. He won the Filmfare Award for Best Art Direction thrice for, Madhumati, Mere Mehboob and Sagina.
- read more about Sudhendu Roy
- Art a.k.a. Arthur Rosson was an English film director. He directed 61 films between 1917 and 1948. He also worked on many major films as a second unit director until 1960, particularly for Cecil B. DeMille.
- read more about Arthur Rosson (film director)
- art a.k.a. Aaron Rahsaan Thomas is a television and film screenwriter and producer, as well as an adjunct professor at the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts.
- read more about Aaron Rahsaan Thomas
- Art a.k.a. Arthur Sheehan: Arther Edmond Sheehan Jr was an Air Corps veteran and baseball player. Born in 1924, his family later moved to San Francisco, California, where he played basketball, baseball, and was later drafted into World War II. With only two missions left before being sent home, his B-12 aircraft blew up, while he was working as a staff sergeant and gunner. He is the brother of Ed Sheehan and Pat Sheehan.
- read more about Arthur Sheehan
- Art a.k.a. Arthur Wolf was a film director and producer.
- read more about Arthur Wolf
- Art: The V.I.P.'s were a British R&B musical ensemble formed in Carlisle, Cumberland, in late 1963, out of an earlier outfit known as The Ramrods, who had formed in Carlisle in 1960. After a change of personnel in April 1967, the band changed their name to Art, and released the album Supernatural Fairy Tales.
- Art is a musical group.
- also known as ART, The Only Band In The World
- album: "The Only Record in the World"
There are other groups with in their name, like Die Art, Pop art, Art Brut, Art Deco, Art Zoyd, Echo Art, Art Bears, Art Metal, Art Pedro, Aryan Art, Space art, Young Art, Art Attack, Art Circus, Art Decade, Art Fleury, Art school, Art-School.
ART is a record label.
Art appeared in the 2010 film Super Hybrid.
- read more about Art (film actor)
- Art is a fictional character from the 2008 film How to Be.
- Art is a fictional character from the 2010 film The Dog.
- Art is a fictional character from the 1995 film Two Much.
- Art is a fictional character from the 2013 animation Monsters University.
- Art is a fictional character from the 2007 film Music Within.
- Art is a fictional character from the 2008 short film The Last Meal.
- Art is a character from Stand Up for Justice: The Ralph Lazo Story.
- Art is a fictional character from the 1998 film O-Negative.
- Art is a fictional character in the 2007 film The Man from Earth.
- Art is a fictional character from the 2000 film Tanging Yaman.
- Art is a fictional character from the 1973 film Cleopatra Jones.
- Art is a fictional character from the 1992 film Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart.
There are other characters with in their name, like Art Howe, Art Long, Art Agnos, Art Lasky, Art Lewis, Art Tatum, Art Brooks, Art critic, Art dealer, Art Editor, Art Fisher, Art Modell, Art Seidel, Art Thomas, Art Kleiner, Art Student, Art Teacher, Art Director.
"Art": Chock full of hummable love, this handmade music video for indie singer/songwriter Tanya Davis is Juno soundtrack meets middle school art class.
- "Art" a.k.a. "...art" is the third album from the Australian rock band, Regurgitator, released in 1999. "Are U Being Served?" contains samples from the Are You Being Served? theme song. The album was recorded in Byron Bay and was the final album with drummer Martin Lee.
- genre: Alternative rock
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Art" is a musical album of Benny Sings.
- released on
- "ART" is a musical album of TRIX.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Art" is a musical album of Jerry Bergonzi & Nando Michelin.
- "Art" is a composition.
- music by Daniel Bressanutti
- Art a.k.a. Watertown International Airport is a county owned, public use airport located in Jefferson County, New York, United States. It is located five nautical miles west of the central business district of Watertown. The airport is mostly used for general aviation, but has scheduled passenger service provided by one commercial airline and subsidized by the Essential Air Service program. The airport does not provide any scheduled international passenger flights, but is available as an international port of entry for private aircraft on two hours advance notice to customs from pilots.
- Art a.k.a. Art, Texas: Art is an unincorporated community in Mason County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the highly-dispersed community had an estimated population of 18 in 2000.
- read more about Art, Texas
- Art is an unincorporated community in Perry Township, Clay County, Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute Metropolitan Statistical Area.
There are other places with in their name, like Ak-Art, Art-House, Art Museum, Carré d'Art, The Art Shed, Tobwabba Art, Art Deco Trust, Art-sur-Meurthe, Clay Art Studio, Coos Art Museum, Erie Art Museum, Folk Art Center, Frye Art Museum, Lowe Art Museum, Neka Art Museum, Frost Art Museum, La Galerie D'Art, Speed Art Museum, York Art Gallery.
- Art a.k.a. Sarus is an artificial language created by animator Adam Phillips.
- Art is an album by trumpeter Art Farmer, featuring performances recorded in 1960 and originally released on the Argo label. Farmer stated in 1995 that the album, which consists mainly of ballads, was his favorite.
- genre: Jazz
- released in (54 years ago)
- Art a.k.a. Noxilo is an human language, language writing system, conlang.
- Art a.k.a. Argentina Time Zone is a time zone.
- Art a.k.a. Tsolyáni language: Tsolyáni is one of several languages invented by M. A. R. Barker, developed in the mid-to-late 1940s in parallel with his legendarium leading to the world of Tékumel as described in the Empire of the Petal Throne roleplaying game, published by TSR in 1975.
- Art a.k.a. Artworks: Title of artwork. Example: "Mona Lisa", "The Kiss".
- read more about Artworks
- Art is a 1998-1999 theater production of the play by Yasmina Reza.
- Tony Award for Best Play nomination for Yasmina Reza, David Pugh, Joan Cullman & Sean Connery
- Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play nomination for Alfred Molina
- Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play nomination for Matthew Warchus
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play nomination for Alfred Molina
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Play nomination for Yasmina Reza
- Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Director of a Play nomination for Matthew Warchus
- Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Broadway Play nomination for Yasmina Reza
- Tony Award for Best Play, received by Yasmina Reza, David Pugh, Joan Cullman & Sean Connery
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play, received by Alfred Molina
- Outer Critics Circle Special Award, received by Alan Alda, Alfred Molina, Victor Garber
- Art is a 1996-2001 theater production of the play by Yasmina Reza.
- Art a.k.a. Lingua sistemfrater: Frater, an a posteriori international auxiliary language, published in Frater. The simplest International Language Ever Constructed, in 1957 by the Vietnamese linguist Phạm Xuân Thái. The grammar can be compared to Indonesian language grammar.
- Art a.k.a. ART image file format: ART is a proprietary image file format used mostly by the America Online service and client software.
- read more about ART image file format
- Art is a 1996 - 2001 theatrical production of the play by Yasmina Reza.
- Art a.k.a. Esperanto II was a reform of Esperanto proposed by René de Saussure in 1937, the last of a long series of such proposals beginning with a 1907 response to Ido later called Antido 1. Esperanto II was one of several languages investigated by the International Auxiliary Language Association, the linguistic research body that eventually standardized and presented Interlingua.
- ART a.k.a. Acoustic resonance technology is an acoustic inspection technology developed by Det Norske Veritas over the past 20 years. ART exploits the phenomenon of half-wave resonance, whereby a suitably excited resonant target exhibits longitudinal resonances at certain frequencies characteristic of the target's thickness. Knowing the speed of sound in the target material, the half-wave resonant frequencies can be used to calculate the target's thickness.
- read more about Acoustic resonance technology
- Art a.k.a. + Art is a marketing campaign.
- Art is the theater production of the play by Yasmina Reza. It was toured at the John F. Kennedy Center's for the Performing Arts Eisenhower Theater in 2000.
- award: - Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor, Non-Resident Production nomination for Jack Willis
- Art is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Art: If appropriate, the art for which this certification was awarded.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Art
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Man from the Mercury (1986)
A Charles Angoff Memorial Reader by Charles Angoff, Thomas Yoseloff
Nathan replies thus: "Art is the haven wherein the disillusioned may find illusion. ... Art is a gross exaggeration of natural beauty: there never was a woman so beautiful as the Venus di Milo, or a man so beautiful as the Apollo Belvedere of the Vatican,
Critical Affinities (2006)
Nietzsche and African American Thought by Jacqueline Scott, A. Todd Franklin
Art is an important way of understanding our world, but it is also a difficult thing to understand across cultural borders because...
If, however, we were to argue that art is the product of enigmatic genius or a gift of the gods then it would be much ...
Coleridge, Emerson, and Nature by Samantha Harvey
CHAPTER 5 HuMANITY: “ART IS THE MEDIATRESS, THE RECoNCILIAToR of MAN AND NATuRE” Emerson's deep engagement with Coleridge's thought taught him to think – not what to think, but how to think. The previous chapters have ...
Nietzsche and Philosophy (2006)
by Gilles Deleuze
Firstly, art is the opposite of a "disinterested" operation: it does not heal, calm, sublimate or pay off, it does not "suspend" desire, instinct or will. On the contrary, art is a "stimulant of the will to power", "something that excites willing". The critical ...
The Voudon Gnostic Workbook (2007)
Expanded Edition by Michael Bertiaux
Eros and Meon: Hiroyuki Fukuda Art is the eros of the Meon, for it is the creative impulse by which means the erotic...
by Gerard C. Wertkin
pinkism recordingof activities, Jewish folk art, 257 Wheat weaving, Slovenian folk art, 148...
100 collection atNoyes Museumof Art, 347¥348 Gallery of ...
Worldview, Symbolism, and Culture in Africa, Oceania, and North America by Hope B. Werness
Art. See TASSILI Samoa. Sharing cultural characteristics with nearby TONGA, Samoa consists of two nations: independent Western Samoa and American Samoa, a territory of the U.S. The Samoan social system consisted of four titled ranks, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Art
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Art
Click on an item to view that photo:
Decoration outside lecture hall E1.
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
Photo credit: eekim
Photo credit: jtbrennan
Photo credit: llee_wu
At the foot of the Town Hall Tower on the Main Market Square, Krakow
Photo credit: kmardahl
A painting by Jin Meyerson in the Zach Feuer Gallery in Chelsea.
Photo credit: Plutor
Artistic Photos or Photos of Art
Photo credit: Nate Merrill
Gallery at VisArts center in Rockville, Maryland.
Photo credit: borman818
A old photo.
Photo credit: DBduo Photography
Artistic Photos or Photos of Art
Photo credit: Nate Merrill
Photo credit: DBduo Photography
Artistic Photos or Photos of Art
Photo credit: Nate Merrill
- Cardinal Art
Photo credit: Indiana Ivy Nature Photographer
In Haarlem, museum of modern Art in front of an old church
Photo credit: hans s
- Modern Art
Star of Texas Tattoo Art Revial, Austin, Texas, USA
Photo credit: Woody H1
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Art
Click on an item to play that video:
- Art Vocabulary Lesson
Art class at Daegu Gyeongbuk English Village, about art vocabulary.
- Discovering Art - The Search for Meaning
This video explores how to use Form, Theme and Context in decoding art work.
- The Definition of Art
Art is using history and the world creatively. C. K. Williams: :You could say any moment has meaning. The meaning that-- The moment that a work of art comes in ...
- THE TRUE MEANING OF ART
thankyou for watching main channel-...
- 1. Definition of art in Indian context
Art Appreciation - An Indian approach by Shatavadhani Dr. R Ganesh...
- Children's Vocabulary Lab - Art Supplies
This tutorial helps children learn the names of some common art supplies.
- The Definition of Art
"The Definition of Art" An exhibition of art expressed in different ways. From the normal forms of art to the new and unusual forms of art expressed in a different ...
- How does Aboriginal art create meaning
Colin Jones, lecturer in Aboriginal History, talks about his culture, his history and his art.
- Lee LeFever - The Long Lost Art of Explanation
Lee LeFever, creator of Common Craft, is on a mission. He wants to help everyone become more effective explainers. In this Ignite talk, Lee discusses -- well, ...
- The Science, Art and Meaning of Forest Wisdom - Suzanne Simard, Ph.D.
The Science, Art and Meaning of Forest Wisdom - Suzanne Simard, Ph.D. Part of the 13th Annual International Bioethics Forum, "3.8 Billion Years of Wisdom: ...
- Art Is For You - Meaning - MOCA U - MOCAtv
Museum visitors and artists including Kenny Scharf, Cai Guo-Qiang and Sheperd Fairey describe what contemporary art means to them. Art is for You is a new ...
- The Definition Of Art
Port City Review wants you to submit your art. Will you do it? The Deadline is Oct. 14, 2013. facebook.com/portcityreview scaddistrict.com SUBMIT HERE: ...
- Interactive Art and Social Meaning
(February 26, 2010) Peggy Weil, adjunct professor of design at the California College of Arts, discusses the incorporation of interaction design and virtual reality ...
- Art Symbolism - Meaning of... the Crown
It means WHAT? Seriously? Do this experiment at home! Experiment in Art Symbolism / Meaning making. Try it now! Watch the video and follow directions.
- BCTalks - Annie McEwen: Baroque Art: Meaning and Relativity
Annie McEwen presents her talk, Baroque Art: Meaning and Relativity, at BCTalks on April 8, 2014. Videography by James Zhen.
- When words fail: nature, art & meaning | George Bumann | TEDxBozeman
George Bumann talks about his personal unification of art and science through wildlife sculpture, and finding the meaning in his life, while sculpting onstage.
- Art Vocabulary 2 - Video Lesson Plan
Vocabulary Video - Perfect For Student Examples Of Understanding...
- Objet d'art Meaning
Video shows what objet d'art means. A work of art with some artistic merit.. An artwork exhibited for the purposes of decoration or the reflection of social status.
- Art Meaning
Video shows what art means. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the ...
- Art Gives Meaning
The role of the creative, whether, artist, performer, or musician, is to give form to what is unseen, not perceived by the wider public. These visionaries are the ...
- The ESL Art Activity
A simple classroom game for practicing prepositions, vocabulary, speaking at all different levels and for all different classes.
- Seeing the hidden language in art: Laurie Frick at TEDxAustin
Laurie Frick draws from neuroscience to construct intricately hand-built works and installations to investigate the nature of pattern and the mind. In her highly ...
- Art & Language - Music-Language: Corrected Slogans (Full Album)
ART AND LANGUAGE no rocnr////EeE/// Art & Language - Music-Language: Corrected Slogans (1976 Art & Language Foundation) 00:00 - Maharashtra 01:30 ...
- Language Art Games for Primary School : Teaching Language Arts & More
- #PAWGUSTART - Dictionary Art Page - Monkey
Another fantastic art event from the Creative Arts Collaboration team. Join 300+ artists and crafters on an animal safari across YouTube. Simply search the ...
- The Red Crayola with Art & Language - Black Snakes
F////norrocccknrolllllredkkkrayolaarrrtandlanguaggge/F////////// The Red Crayola with Art & Language - Black Snakes (1983 Pure Freude) 00:00 - Black Snakes ...
- Art & Language - Don't Talk to Sociologists...
All about content and form, Not Rock and Roll.
- Red Krayola with Art & Language - Gross and Conspicuous Error #8
Corrected Slogans was the first LP to be produced and was worked on by Art & Language and Red Crayola founder member Mayo Thompson between 1973 ...
- Evidence: Art and Inspiration, ESL Religion and Science
- How to Make Vintage Dictionary Page Art : Arts & Crafts
See also the pronunciation examples of Art!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Indian Sign Language: Art Supplies
- The ART of SIGN language
students use sign language as an inspiration for drawing and painting their initials, integrating chosen appropriate audio.
- Artist or Art or Drawing - ASL Word - American Sign Language
- Sign Language How Great Thou Art Friends Church Battle Creek
Battle Creek, Michigan Friends Church Worship Team singing a new version of the classic hymn, How Great Thou Art while Marcia is signing. Would welcome ...
- Sign Language Interpreting Exploring Its Art and Science 2nd Edition
Get Yours Now...
Quotes about Art
There is in fact no such thing as art for art's sake, art that stands above classes, art that is detached from or independent of politics. Proletarian literature and art are part of the whole proletarian revolutionary cause. (Mao Zedong)
more quotes about art...
Scrabble value of A1R1T1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ART
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Art!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Art to see it in context!