The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alto:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alto
- Definition of the adjective alto
- Phrases with Alto
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alto
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alto
- Photos about Alto
- Videos about Alto
- Quotes about Alto
- Scrabble value of A1L1T1O1
- Anagrams of ALTO
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alto
What does alto mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: altos
- a singer whose voice lies in the alto clef
- the lowest female singing voice
- the highest adult male singing voice
- (of a musical instrument) the second highest instrument in a family of musical instruments
- the pitch range of the lowest female voice
Alternative definition of the noun alto
- A musical part or section higher than tenor and lower than soprano, formerly the part that performed a countermelody above the tenor or main melody.
- A person or instrument that performs the alto part
Definition of the adjective alto
What does alto mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- of or being the lowest female voice
- of or being the highest male voice; having a range above that of tenor
- (of a musical instrument) second highest member of a group
- Alto is a town in Cherokee County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,225 at the 2010 census.
- Alto is a town in Banks, Habersham, and Hall counties in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 1,172.
- Alto is a comune in the Province of Cuneo in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 110 kilometres south of Turin and about 45 kilometres southeast of Cuneo. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 113 and an area of 7.6 square kilometres.
- Alto is an unincorporated community in Bowne Township, Kent County, in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is situated on Pratt Lake Creek, at the intersection of Bancroft Avenue and 60th Street, just west of M-50, about two miles south of exit 52 off I-96.
- Alto is an unincorporated community in Lincoln County, New Mexico, United States. It is located in the Lincoln National Forest, five miles north of the village of Ruidoso, New Mexico. Alto is located at 7,300 feet. Alto received its name from the Spanish word "high" because of its elevation.
- Alto is a town in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,103 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Alto is located in the town.
- Alto is a neighborhood of Kokomo in Harrison Township, Howard County, Indiana, United States. It is part of the Kokomo, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area. Alto was annexed into the city of Kokomo January 1, 2012.
- Alto a.k.a. Alto, California: Alto is a census-designated place adjacent to Mill Valley in Marin County, California. It lies at an elevation of 26 feet. The population was 711 at the 2010 census.
- read more about Alto, California
- Alto a.k.a. Alto, Louisiana: Alto is an unincorporated community in Richland Parish, Louisiana, United States.
- read more about Alto, Louisiana
There are other places with in their name, like El Alto, Alto Pass, alto verá, Mont Alto, Saín Alto, alto baudó, Alto Douro, Alto Feliz, Alto Santo, Mount Alto, Pouso Alto, Zoldo Alto, Albero Alto, Alto Alegre, Alto Cauale, Alto Garças, Alto Lucero, Alto Paraná, Arroyo Alto and Bairro Alto.
Who is Alto?
Alto a.k.a. Alto Pappert is a musical artist, musician.
- read more about Alto Pappert (musical artist)
- ALTO is an interbank network in Indonesia. It was founded in 1994.
- alto is a record label.
Alto a.k.a. Ryou Shirogane is a fictional character from the Japanese manga and anime series Tokyo Mew Mew.
- read more about Ryou Shirogane
- "Alto" is a musical album of Ali Ryerson & Joe Beck.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Alto" is a musical album of Alto Pappert.
- released in (38 years ago)
- "Alto" is a musical album of El Centro.
- ALTO is an open XML standard to describe OCR text and layout information of printed documents. It is often used with METS standard.
- Alto was a restaurant in New York City.
Phrases with Alto
Phrases starting with the word Alto:
Phrases ending with the word Alto:
- palo alto
- Uno Ab Alto
- Alpaida alto
- Philautus alto
- Scissurella Alto
- Pseudophilautus Alto
- species Alpaida alto
- species Philautus alto
Other phrases containing the word Alto:
- Iris Alto-Barbata
- Palo Alto Thistle
- trentino-alto adige
- Acroporium Alto-Pungens
- Vaccinium alto-montanum
- Ipomoea Alto-Paranaensis
View more phrases with the word Alto in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alto
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
With Specimen Articles by Monroe Nichols Wetmore
pedem Tiberinus ab alto. — A. IX.
by Emily Freeman Brown
alto clarinet in E-flat. While it is more or less a standard in the concert band or wind ensemble, the alto clarinet is almost never used in the orchestra. It does appear in some important pieces of the twentieth century, including the original version ...
Music Lovers' Encyclopedia (1919)
Containing a Pronouncing and Defining Dictionary of Terms, Instruments, &c., Including a Key to the Pronunciation of Sixteen Languages, Many Charts; an Explanation of the Construction of Music for the Uninitiated; a Pronouncing Biographical Dictionary; the Stories of the Operas; and Numerous Biographical and Critical Essays by Distinguished Authorities by Rupert Hughes
Male altos, or countertenors, as opposed to castrati. altisonan te, altiso'no. Sonorous. altis onous. High-sounding, used of the highest male voice. altis simo, L. Vide ALT. altist, altista (al-tes'-ta), /., altiste (al-test), F. An alto ...
by John Stainer
ALTERATIO—ALTO VOICE. ALTRA –AMBROSIAN TE DEUM. AMBUBAJAE— ANCIA. ANCORA—ANTECEDENT. ANTHEM. ANTHEM. ANTHE M. Alteratio (Lat .) In mediaeval music, the doubling of the value of a note. “Alteratio est proprii ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alto
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alto
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: marktmcn
Alpi dall'aereo Alitalia
Photo credit: .Paolo.
- Muro Alto
Photo credit: emarquetti
- Volando alto
Photo credit: ferran pestaña
- Certaldo Alto
The castle of Certaldo Alto, right up the hill from Certaldo.
Photo credit: AMagill
- Trentino Alto Adige
Photo credit: wavelab.be
- Madeira - Pico alto
Photo credit: muffinn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Alto
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alto Meaning
Video shows what alto means. A musical part or section higher than tenor and lower than soprano, formerly the part that performed a countermelody above the ...
- In the Language of Meditation - alto sax & piano
Adam Pelandini and Michael Refvem perform the world premiere of Greg Bartholomew's "In the Language of Meditation" for alto saxophone and piano at the ...
- Words of Life 2 KUNA: Alto Bayano People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Words of Life KUNA: Alto Bayano People/Language Movie Trailer c15441 [c15441t] Other names for this language are: Alto Bayano, Kuna, San Blas, ...
- Alejandro Sanchez Alto Sax and Lexicon Verb Tryouts
- Love In Any Language Acoustic Alto Only Rehearsal
- Good News MIXTEC, ALACATLATZALA: Guerrero Alto People/Language Movie Trailer
See also the pronunciation examples of Alto!
Quotes about Alto
I don't know what I was trying to get out of a tenor - but it never really satisfied me until one day I picked up my alto and I said, ""Where have you been?"" and I said right here for now on! (Jerome Richardson)
more quotes about alto...
Scrabble value of A1L1T1O1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alto!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alto to see it in context!