On this page:
Definition of the adjective Unlachrymose
What does Unlachrymose mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Not lachrymose.
- Free from dejection and melancholy; not vexed or weighed down by circumstances.
- Tearless; not given to crying.
- See Unsentimental.
- # Unamenable to appeals of emotion.
- #*: But the really dangerous people would be the servants, la valetaille et la piétaille, the cold-eyed, unimpressionable, 'unlachrymose', and, when encountered in a corridor, insolent observers of Rousseau’s magisterial performances.
- # Not schmaltzy; expressed without gratuitous sorrow.
- #*: His films with Temple are surprisingly light and 'unlachrymose'.
- #*: Ezio Pinza (DB 828; GEMM 162/3), recorded in 1924, offers 'unlachrymose' singing of the lovely aria ‘Cinta di fiori’.
- #*: For instance, there is the sparely stated consolation of the poem’s concluding paragraph, or the sinewy articulation of the lines in ‘The Dry Salvages’ I distinguishing the sea’s ‘different voices’, and culminating in 'unlachrymose' sympathy for the ‘anxious worried women’: an effect achieved by the way in which their anxiety is syntactically submerged, and thereby enhanced, in the unwinding sentence delineating time’s relentlessness.
- #*: The off-handed elegance and freedom of Dino Borgioli’s Duke make him seem utterly charming and irresistible. His use of legato and the sweetness he can call upon are worthy of an 'unlachrymose' Gigli.
- Unmournful; free from lamentation.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Unlachrymose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of U1N1L1A1C3H4R1Y4M3O1S1E1
The value of this 12-letter word is 22 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Unlachrymose for some fun with words!