On this page:
- Sierra Leone, officially the Republic of Sierra Leone, is a country in West Africa. It is bordered by Guinea in the north-east, Liberia in the south-east, and the Atlantic ocean in the south-west. Sierra Leone has a tropical climate, with a diverse environment ranging from savannah to rainforests. Sierra Leone has a total area of 71,740 km² and an estimated population of 6 million. Freetown is the capital, largest city, and its economic and political centre. Bo is the second largest city and second major economic center in the country. The country is divided into four geographical regions: the Northern Province, Eastern Province, Southern Province and the Western Area, which are further divided into fourteen districts.
- also known as Bulubunduking Leona, 塞拉利昂, Republic of Sierra Leone
- founded on (54 years ago)
- part of Africa, West Africa
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- part: capital of Sierra Leone / Freetown = port city and the capital and largest city of Sierra Leone
- member: Sierra Leonean = a native or inhabitant of Sierra Leone
- read more about Sierra Leone (country)
- Sierra Leone: The Commonwealth realm of Sierra Leone, officially known as "Sierra Leone", was a predecessor to the present-day Republic of Sierra Leone. It was the African country with the longest tenure as a Commonwealth realm, existing between 27 April 1961 and 19 April 1971.
- "Sierra Leone" is a book by Margaret Binns.
- "Sierra Leone" is a book by Hilton Ebenezer Fyle.
- also known as "Sierra Leone: the fighter from death row: testimony of survival by a Christian journalist"
- "Sierra Leone" is a book by G. A. Lethbridge Banbury.
- also known as "Sierra Leone: or, The white man's grave"
"Sierra Leone" is a 1987 film directed by Uwe Schrader.
- countries: West Germany, Germany
- language: German Language
- producer: Hans-Jorg Weyhmuller
- executive producer: Renée Gundelach
- written by Silvia Koller & Uwe Schrader
- cinematography by Klaus Muller-Laue
- edited by Klaus Muller-Laue
- music by Bülent Ersoy
- genre: Drama
- released on (28 years ago)
- award: - German Film Award for Best Feature Film nomination for Uwe Schrader Filmproduktion
Phrases with Sierra Leone
Phrases starting with Sierra Leone:
- sierra leone monetary unit
- Sierra Leone Sign Language
- Sierra Leone Dwarf Characin
- Sierra Leone Free-Tailed Bat
Phrases ending with Sierra Leone:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sierra Leone
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Corporate Warriors (2008)
The Rise of the Privatized Military Industry by Peter Warren Singer
David Sichor, Punishment for Profit Sierra Leone is a former British colony located in West Africa.
More important, Sierra Leone is an exemplar of the desperate position that weak states found ...
The Role of Small-Scale Entrepreneurs in Petty Trading as a Strategy for Survival 1960-1996 by Fouday S Kamara
Sierra Leone is a multi-ethnic society with different cults and religious practices but despite these differences, there is a general consensus that cultural induced values bind the society together.
Sierra Leone and Its People (2011)
by Bankole Kamara Taylor, Bankole Kamara, Bankole Taylor, Editor
Sierra Leone is a member of the Economic Community of West African States ( ECOWAS). With Liberia and Guinea, it formed the Mano River Union (MRU), a customs union, primarily designed to implement development projects and promote ...
Fighting Brits (2013)
by Jim Keys
Sierra Leone is a former British colony in West Africa, about the size of Scotland and had been wracked by civil war since 1991, when rebels calling themselves the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) attempted to bring down the government.
Africa’s Deadliest Conflict (2013)
Media Coverage of the Humanitarian Disaster in the Congo and the United Nations Response, 1997–2008 by Walter C. Soderlund, E. Donald Briggs, Tom Pierre Najem, Blake C. Roberts
Leone in the early 1990s presages developments that were to ravage the Congo beginning two years later: “Sierra Leone is a microcosm of what is occurring, albeit in a more tempered and gradual manner, throughout West Africa and much ...
A Talent for Friendship (2014)
Rediscovery of a Remarkable Trait by John Edward Terrell
Since generally speaking Sierra Leone is a highly patriarchic ...
by Robert I. Rotberg
Furthermore, Sierra Leone is a case in which rulers intentionally destroyed state capacity to provide public goods. Conflict developed in that context, but did not fundamentally threaten the political power of those whose actions generated the ...
Military Intervention (2004)
Cases in Context for the Twenty-First Century by William J. Lahneman
Sierra Leone is a case of state collapse in which the conflicts of the 1990s were not an independent event but merely the work of maggots on a dead body. Thus, no intervention could have done anything more, at best, than remove the ...
Policing, Judiciary, and Corrections, Third Edition by Obi N. I. Ebbe
Brief hiSTory Sierra Leone is a relatively small West African country with an area of 27,925 square miles and a population of 3.7 million people. It is bounded on the west and north by Guinea and on the east by Liberia. The country is made up ...
Miners, Merchants and Warriors in the African Borderland by Morten Bøås
Sierra Leone is a mineral-rich country containing some of the world's most valuable deposits of diamonds. Nevertheless, it is one of the world's poorest countries (UNDP 2009). Rather than having contributed to national wealth, the diamond ...
by H. Jesse Walker
32, SIERRA LEONE E. J. Anthony U. F. R. de Géographie Université Louis Pasteur 3, rue de l'Argonne 67083 Strasbourg France COASTLINE MORPHOLOGY Sierra Leone is a seasonally humid tropical country with a total shoreline length ...
A Review of Recent Experience by OECD
The WAMSSA is keeping alive the policy dialogue opened by the SESA because Sierra Leone is a potential beneficiary of the AMGP, but the WAMSSA also complements the SESA as it will provide the regional dimension of the environmental ...
Investment Policy Review (2010)
Sierra Leone is a country of important investment opportunities, endowed with rich natural resources (including minerals, fertile land, water, fish stocks and energy), a strategic maritime location, abundant labour at relatively low cost, as well as ...
by Sylvia Ojukutu-Macauley, Ismail Rashid
Indeed, even demographically speaking, Sierra Leone is a youthful nation.
by George William Johnson, Charles Henry Wright
Sierra Leone. 1840. —fw'scum. Chocolate. April. Sierra Leone.
by Ben R. Guttery
“Sierra Leone Airlines Gets a Helping Hand from Alia.” Air Transport World, August 1984, pp. 43—44.
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
Romania Russia Rwanda Saudi Arabia Samoa Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Sweden Swaziland Banque Centrale des Etats ...
by Simon Gikandi
1913, Freetown, Sierra Leone doctor, playwright, and novelist The Sierra Leone doctor, playwright, and novelist R.Sarif Easmon was born into a distinguished family of physicians in Freetown. Easmon was an outstanding medical student at ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1890)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General Literature
SIERRA LEONE, a British colony on the West Coast of Africa , ...
The Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)
An International Work of Reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Discipline, and History of the Catholic Church by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne
Sierra Leone, Vicariate Apostolic of (Siehk-e Leon is, Sierra-Leonensis), comprises the English colony of that name and the surrounding territory from French Guinea on the north and east to Liberia on the south. The capital, Freetown ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sierra Leone
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Sierra Leone
Photo credit: RNW.org
Videos about Sierra Leone
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sierra Leone Meaning
Video shows what Sierra Leone means. Country in Western Africa. Official name: Republic of Sierra Leone.. Sierra Leone pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- Mt. Eden Dubstep - Sierra Leone (1080p Highest Definition)
- Science: Saving a Language in Sierra Leone | The New York Times
Linguist Tucker Childs and his research assistant, Hannah Sarvasy, have been studying Kim, a dying language in Sierra Leone. Related Article...
- The Jesus Film - Kono / Konnoh Language (Sierra Leone)
The Story of the Life and Times of Jesus Christ (Son of God). According to the Gospel of Luke. (Sierra Leone) Kono / Konnoh Language. God Bless You All.
- Words of Life Kono: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Words of Life Kono: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer c02501 [c02501t] Other names for this language are: Sierra Leone This language is ...
- Good News Kono: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Good News Kono: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer c37977 [c37977t] Other names for this language are: Sierra Leone This language is ...
- Words of Life Kissi: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Words of Life Kissi: Sierra Leone People/Language Movie Trailer c02500 [c02500t] Other names for this language are: Kissi: Southern; Sierra Leone ...
- Mr. Jigba Yilla speaks local language on AYV in Sierra Leone
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is integrating the national power systems of its members into a unified regional electricity market through TRANSCO CLSG ...
- A WIFE OF ADAM IN TEMNE LANGUAGE /SIERRA LEONE
A Wife for Adam Genesis 2:15-25 in TEMNE. A Wife for AdamGod put Adam in a beautiful (fertile) garden and he cared for it. There were male and female ...
- NOAH AND THE GREAT BOAT IN TEMNE LANGUAGE/ SIERRA LEONE
NOAH AND THE GREAT BOAT! Noah and the Great Boat Genesis 6:1-22 Picture 5. Noah and the Great BoatThe people who descended from Adam followed ...
- THE GREAT FLOOD:LISTEN IN TEMNE LANGUAGE / SIERRA LEONE
THE GREAT FLOOD! LISTEN IN TEMNE. The Great Flood Genesis 7:1-24 The Great FloodNoah warned the people that God would destroy them but they would ...
- Adam and the Animals IN TEMNE LANGUAGE / SIERRA LEONE
Adam and the Animals Genesis 1:1 - 2:14 in TEMNE! Adam and the AnimalsIn the beginning this earth did not exist. Only God existed. There is only one God.
- The Tower of Babel:LISTEN IN TEMNE LANGUAGE / SIERRA LEONE
THE TOWER OF BABEL! LISTEN IN TEMNE. The Tower of BabelThe sons of Noah had many children. God told them to go to live all over the earth, but the ...
- Job Worships God:LISTEN IN TEMNE LANGUAGE / SIERRA LEONE
JOB WORSHIPS GOD! LISTEN IN TEMNE. Job Worships God Job 1:1-12 Job Worships GodThe man in this picture is Job. He worshipped and sacrificed only to ...
- Job in Mourning,LISTEN IN TEMNE LANGUAGE / SIERRA LEONE
JOB IS MOURNING! LISTEN IN TEMNE. Job in Mourning Job 1:13-22 Job in MourningOne day Job's servants brought him terrible news. Job's enemies had ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Sierra Leone!
Quotes about Sierra Leone
I think they do have to get it right in Sierra Leone. There has to be something in there now to establish confidence, to stabilize the situation, and then to move to some sort of political negotiations. (Alex Morrison)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sierra Leone to see it in context!