The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb paddle:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun paddle
- Definition of the verb paddle
- Phrases with Paddle
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Paddle
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Paddle
- Photos about Paddle
- Video language resources about Paddle
- Quotes about Paddle
- Scrabble value of P3A1D2D2L1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun paddle
What does paddle mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: paddles
- small wooden bat with a flat surface; used for hitting balls in various games
- a blade of a paddle wheel or water wheel
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: blade / vane = flat surface that rotates and pushes against air or water
- part of: mill wheel / millwheel = water wheel that is used to drive machinery in a mill; paddle wheel / paddlewheel = a large wheel fitted with paddles and driven by an engine in order to propel a boat
- an instrument of punishment consisting of a flat board
- a short light oar used without an oarlock to propel a canoe or small boat
Alternative definition of the noun paddle
- A two-handed, single-bladed oar used to propel a canoe or a small boat.
- A double-bladed oar used for kayaking.
- Time spent on paddling.
- A slat of a paddleboat's wheel.
- A paddlewheel.
- A blade of a waterwheel.
- [British] A meandering walk or dabble through shallow water, especially at the seaside.
- A kitchen utensil shaped like a 'paddle' and used for mixing, beating etc.
- A bat-shaped spanking implement
- A ping-pong bat.
- A flat limb of an aquatic animal, adapted for swimming.
- In a sluice, a panel that controls the flow of water.
- A group of inerts
Specialised definition of the noun paddle
Glossary of sports
equipment for propelling small boats (especially kayaks, canoes, and "paddle boats") which is monoeuvered with both hands without contact with the boat, it consists of a flat or scoop-shaped blade at one end (single-bladed paddle, with a horizontal grip bar, e.g. for the Canadian canoe) or on both ends of the shaft (double-bladed paddle, e.g. for kayaks). The edges of the paddle blade are often covered with copper in order to prevent damage from constant contact with the water and various obstacles (rocks, gates, the sides of the boat, etc.). (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / canoeing
the implement used for propelling a canoe. Canadian canoeists use a single bladed paddle. Kayakers use a double-bladed paddle that's held in the middle
Glossary of sports / luge
pushing of the sled by using spiked gloves on the surface of the ice
Glossary of sports / table tennis
the table tennis paddle must be made primarily of wood. There are no restrictions as to size. A legal rubber sheet must be applied to any side used for striking the ball. One side must be black, the other cherry red. If there is a non-hitting side with no rubber sheet attached, it must have a paint sheet of the appropriate color
Definition of the verb paddle
What does paddle mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: paddled | paddling | paddles
- propel with a paddle
- example: paddle your own canoe
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or vehicle] [Verb] [Theme] Amanda carried the package | Amanda drove the package Verbs of Sending and Carrying: bike, drive, motor, row, trundle, wheel [Agent - being or vehicle] [Verb] [Theme] to / towards [Destination] Amanda carried the package to New York | Amanda drove the package to New York [Agent - being or vehicle] [Verb] [Theme] to [Destination] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Amanda drove the package to New York from home [Agent - being or vehicle] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Amanda carried the package from home | Amanda drove the package from home [Agent - being or vehicle] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] to / towards [Destination] Amanda carried the package from home to New York | Amanda drove the package from home to New York [Agent - being] [Verb] They rowed Verbs of Motion: cruise, drive, fly, navigate, oar, pedal, rally, ride, row, sail, tack, voyage [Agent - being] [Verb] [Location] They rowed the canals of Venice [Agent - being] [Verb] [Oblique] [Adjective] Penny rowed her palms raw [Agent - being] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Penny rowed her palms to shreds [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He drove Penny [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] He rowed Penny across the lake [Agent - being] [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] They rowed along the canal
- domain: athletics / sport
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- more generic word: boat = ride in a boat on water
- more specific words: feather / square = turn the paddle
- play in or as if in water, as of small children
- swim like a dog in shallow water
- walk unsteadily
- give a spanking to; subject to a spanking
- example: They want to paddle the prisoners
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Paula hit the ball | Paula spanked the child | Paula swatted the fly [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Paul kicked the door open | Paula bit the bag open | They spanked him dead [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] The cat clawed the counch to pieces | They spanked him to death [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] The cat clawed the counch to pieces with her sharp nails | They spanked him to death with a bat [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Paula hit the ball with a stick | Paula spanked the child with her right hand | Paula swatted the fly with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Locative Preposition] [Oblique] Paula spanked the naughty child on the back [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Locative Preposition] [Oblique] with [Instrument] Paula spanked the naught child on the back with a paddle [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, genitive] [Oblique, body part] Paula spanked the naughty child's back
Verbs of Contact by Impact (with the same syntax): bayonet, belt, biff, birch, bludgeon, bonk, brain, bump, cane, clobber, clout, club, conk, cosh, crack, crunch, cudgel, cuff, elbow, flagellate, flog, gash, knee, knife, pummel, slam, sock, spank, stab, strap, thrash, thump, truncheon, wallop, whip, whisk.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of paddle: larrup / spank
- more generic terms: beat / beat up / work over = give a beating to
- stir with a paddle
Alternative definition of the verb paddle
- [transitive] To propel something through water with a 'paddle', oar or hands.
- [intransitive] To row a boat with less than one's full capacity.
- [transitive] To spank with a paddle.
- [intransitive] [British] To walk or dabble playfully in shallow water, especially at the seaside.
- To toddle
- [archaic] [intransitive] To toy or caress using hands or fingers
Specialised definition of the verb paddle
Glossary of sports / luge
to push the sled by using spiked gloves on the surface of the ice
Glossary of sports / rowing
to row gently, with minimum force
"PADDLE" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Kazutoshi Sakurai
- Paddle: A paddle is a game controller with a round wheel and one or more fire buttons, where the wheel is typically used to control movement of the player object along one axis of the video screen. A paddle controller rotates through a fixed arc; it has a stop at each end.
- Paddle a.k.a. Hand paddle: A hand paddle is a device worn by swimmers during training. It consists of a plastic plate worn over the swimmer's palm and attached over the back of the swimmer's hand with elastic cords. The plate is often perforated with a pattern of holes.
- read more about Hand paddle
Phrases with Paddle
Phrases starting with the word Paddle:
- paddle box
- paddle board
- paddle wheel
- Paddle Shifter
- paddle steamer
- Paddle-Tailed Darner
- Paddle-Footed Annelids
Phrases ending with the word Paddle:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Paddle
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Angela Royston
Canoes A paddle is a lever too. But it is neither a first-class nor a second-class lever. As the canoeist pulls the paddle...
Dental Radiography - E-Book (2013)
Principles and Techniques by Joen Iannucci, Laura Jansen Howerton
PROCEDURE 9-1 Manual Film Processing Miscellaneous Equipment A stirring rod or stirring paddle is a necessary piece of equipment for manual processing. A stirring rod is used to agitate the developer and fixer solutions before processing ...
3D User Interfaces (2004)
Theory and Practice, CourseSmart eTextbook by Doug Bowman, Ernst Kruijff, Joseph J. LaViola Jr., Ivan P. Poupyrev
The paddle is a paper object with an attached tracking symbol. It can be used by either hand and enables users to employ static and dynamic gestures to interact with the virtual objects. For example, to copy an object from the book onto the ...
Keep on Paddling (2012)
True Adventures in the Boundary Waters Wilderness by Roy Cerny
The paddle is a long 30 miles or more and to canoe the whole river in a day is normally the plan as there are no campsites along its banks. Usually, with an early start you can just get to the end of the river before dark. On this trip it was already ...
Your Step-By-Step Guide to Success by Entrepreneur Press
An auction paddle means an item is part of eBay Live Auctions.
Day-By-Day Math Mats (2002)
by Mary Rosenberg
The canoe is The paddle is The tent is The branch ...
by Charles Rich, Richard C. Waters
Relationship with the Program Manipulation System Paddle is a language for structuring goals. How these goals are achieved is an orthogonal issue dependent entirely on how the terminal nodes of the goal structures are defined.
paddle—. Paddle-wheel. that abaft being thrown into the form of a wave, so as in each case to offer a nearly vertical resistance to the float. The extent of the immersion much PADDY— PADUA. PADDY, or PADDIE, the name commonly applied ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
paddle A paddle is a short pole with a broad blade at one or both ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Mixed sciences, vol. 6
But that with the common wheels, and while the boat is in motion, and both aheels acting, the resistance experienced by one vertical paddle in each wheel will not absorb. at a medium, more than one-sixth of the whole power of the engines.
Chamber's Encyclopaedia (1886)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People
PADDLE—PADDLE-WHEEL PADDY—PADUA. PADUCAH—PAGAN ISM. from the 16th c., and now also. rovince, from which it is separated by a chain of city mountains, some of which, as the Singalan , Mei-epic, and Sage, attain to nearly ...
by Thomas M. Pankratz
Paddle Dryer Sludge dryer by Komline-Sanderson Engineering Corp. paddle flocculator A flocculation device utilizing rotating baffles to accomplish mixing. PADRE® Moving bed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Paddle
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Paddle
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ernop
Photo credit: pokerfloat
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. Harvard University, Cambridge, Ma.
Photo credit: istolethetv
Photo credit: (: Rebecca-louise :)
Photo credit: psd
Photo credit: oliver.dodd
Photo credit: Menage a Moi
Photo credit: 23am.com
Paddle on the parked fishing boat
Photo credit: Kumaravel
- Paddle Handle
Photo credit: cdsessums
- Family Paddle Trip
A family enjoys the Green River in Mammoth Cave National Park
photo by: 'Paddle Adventures Unltd'
Photo credit: U.S. Department of the Interior
- Paddle on.
Paddles on the Tahoe queen.
Photo credit: choffee
- Cool Paddle
Photo credit: the real Kam75
- Sunset paddle mason neck state park
Photo credit: vastateparksstaff
- Sauropterygia paddle
Photo credit: paleo_bear
- Red Paddle
Photo credit: upupandabear
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Paddle
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lego Pinball Machine Paddle Explanation
Just a quick explanation of how the paddles work and the basic function they provide to the machine. Don't forget to check out the original video if you haven't ...
- Paddle Meaning
Video shows what paddle means. A two-handed, single-bladed oar used to propel a canoe or a small boat.. A double-bladed oar used for kayaking.. Time spent ...
- Bunny Paddle Explanation
- Paddle trick explanation
Barnabas teaches gospel tricks to illustrate the Bible or the message of Jesus Crist in a colorfull way. Barnabas onderwijst gospel trucs om verhalen en ...
- English Language School of Cape Town Stand Up Paddle Boarding 20130213 3
See also the pronunciation examples of Paddle!
Quotes about Paddle
Paddle, paddle, paddle your boat!
But gently across the stream of love;
For there is something sweet inside you for your lover,
And this boat of love will lead you there. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about paddle...
Scrabble value of P3A1D2D2L1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Paddle to see it in context!