On this page:
Definition of the noun iguania
What does iguania mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- New World lizards
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Iguanidae
- synonyms of Iguania: family Iguania / family Iguanidae
- more generic term: reptile family = a family of reptiles
- member of: Lacertilia / Sauria / suborder Lacertilia / suborder Sauria = true lizards
- iguanid lizard / iguanid = lizards of the New World and Madagascar and some Pacific islands
- genus Iguana = type genus of the Iguanidae
- genus Amblyrhynchus / Amblyrhynchus = marine iguanas
- genus Dipsosaurus / Dipsosaurus = desert iguanas
- genus Sauromalus / Sauromalus = chuckwallas
- genus Callisaurus / Callisaurus = zebra-tailed lizard
- genus Uma / Uma = fringe-toed lizard
- genus Holbrookia / Holbrookia = earless lizards
- genus Crotaphytus / Crotaphytus = collared lizards
- genus Gambelia / Gambelia = leopard lizards
- genus Sceloporus / Sceloporus = spiny lizards
- genus Uta / Uta = a reptile genus of Iguanidae
- genus Urosaurus / Urosaurus = a reptile genus of Iguanidae
- genus Phrynosoma / Phrynosoma = horned lizards
- genus Basiliscus / Basiliscus = a reptile genus of Iguanidae
- genus Anolis / Anolis = New World chameleons
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Iguania
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ruth Miller
Iguania is a superfamily of colorful lizards found in a wide range of habitats, including deserts, grassland, and rain forests. There are three families: the iguanas are found in North, Central, and South America; the agamids live mostly in Africa, ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
ichthyosaurs Ichthyostega Ichthyostegopsis Icosteidae Icosteus aenigmaticus Icteridae Icterus ICZN idae ideal free distribution Idiacanthidae Idiacanthus fasciola idiothetic iformes Iguana iguana Iguania Iguanidae Iguanodontidae.
by Catharine E. Bell
Sometimes the lizards are divided into two orders, Iguania and Scleroglossa, corresponding to relatively primitive and relatively advanced lizards, respectively. Numerous lizards have been exhibited in the zoos of the world, but the species ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1896)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
Iguania. - Fam. 4, Anolidas; 5, Iguanida. b. Diploglossa. - - Fam. 6, Anguidas; 7, Gerrhonotidas, 8, Xenosauridas; 9, Helodermidae. c. Thecaglossa.
The Encyclopaedic Dictionary (1884)
A New & Original Work of Reference to All the Words in the English Language, with a Full Account of Their Origin, Meaning, Pronunciation, & Use
iguania); Lat. fern. pi. adj. suit; -ul<e.] Zool. : A family of reptiles, order Lacertilia. The tongue is short and thick, the eyes with round pupils, the scales imbricated, those on the belly small and rhombic. Feet adapted for walking ; toes ...
a new and exhaustive work of reference to the English language, defining over 250,000 words, with a full account of their origin, pronunciation and use. Comprising a general encyclopaedia of art, science, invention and discovery; a gazetteer and atlas of the world; a compendious dictionary of universal biography, etc by Robert Hunter
Latin, Ac, iguania) • Lat, fern. pi.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Iguania
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Iguania
If you need images about Iguania for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Iguania
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Iguania"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of I1G2U1A1N1I1A1
The value of this 7-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Iguania to find many related words and phrases!