On this page:
- Definition of the noun golgotha
- Phrases with Golgotha
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Golgotha
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Golgotha
- Photos about Golgotha
- Videos about Golgotha
- Quotes about Golgotha
- Scrabble value of G2O1L1G2O1T1H4A1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun golgotha
What does golgotha mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- golgotha: golgothas
- Golgotha: -
- a hill near Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified
- example: The world famous Hungarian painter Mihály Munkácsy's Christ Trilogy includes the paintings entitled "Christ before Pilate", "Golgotha" and "Ecce Homo".
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of Golgotha: Calvary
- instance of: hill = a local and well-defined elevation of the land
- part of: capital of Israel / Jerusalem = capital and largest city of the modern state of Israel (although its status as capital is disputed); it was captured from Jordan in 1967 in the Six Day War; a holy city for Jews and Christians and Muslims
Golgotha a.k.a. Calvary, also Golgotha, was, according to the Gospels, a site immediately outside Jerusalem's walls where Jesus was crucified. Golgotha is the Greek transcription in the New Testament of an Aramaic term that has traditionally been presumed to be Gûlgaltâ. The Bible translates the term to mean place of [the] skull, which in Greek is Κρανίου Τόπος, and in Latin is Calvariæ Locus, from which the English word Calvary is derived.
- read more about Calvary
- Golgotha is a musical group.
- albums: "Elemental Changes", "New Life", "Caves of Mind", "Melancholy", "The Way of Confusion"
- Golgotha is a musical group.
- albums: "Unmaker of Worlds", "Symphony In Extremis"
There are other groups with in their name, like Liar of Golgotha.
- "Golgotha" is the debut album by American deathcore band With Blood Comes Cleansing. It was released in 2006 on Blood and Ink Records. Vocalist Mike Sasser left shortly after the recording of this album, and original vocalist Dean Atkinson returned.
- "Golgotha" is a musical album of Frank Martin & Daniel Reuss.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Golgotha" is a musical EP of Lucio Bukowski.
- released on
- "Golgotha" is a musical EP of Controlled Bleeding.
- released in (24 years ago)
- "Golgotha" is a musical album of Human Behavior.
- released on
"Golgotha" is a 1935 French film about the death of Jesus Christ, released in English-speaking countries as Behold the Man. The film was directed by Julien Duvivier, and stars Harry Baur as Herod, Jean Gabin as Pontius Pilate, and Robert Le Vigan plays Christ.
- country: France
- language: French
- music by Jacques Ibert
- genre: Black-and-white
- released in (80 years ago)
"Golgotha" was a video game that was being developed by Crack dot Com prior to shutting down in 1998. The game should be a real time strategy game, with elements from first-person shooter games. According to Dave Taylor, the game's name came from Shakespeare's King Lear tragedy, wherein Golgotha was a massive plain and a future battlefield.
- designers: Dave Taylor & Jonathan Clark
- developer: Crack dot Com
- genres: First-person Shooter, Real-time strategy
- publisher: Red Hat Software
Golgotha is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Golgotha
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Golgotha
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by T. Broussard
Golgotha means the place of the skull and is both a symbol of the mind, which is also the visible realm, and a place of paradigm...
Golgotha is the throne of Chorazin, or the mindset and seat of authority, as the uppermost of the Left Hand Path.
by Clinton E. Arnold
Golgotha is the name attached to the place where Jesus was crucified.
by Stephen Andrew Missick
Golgotha is the Aramaic word for Calvary. There are many churches named Calvary...
by Josias Leslie Porter
Golgotha is a Hebrew word signifying “a skull;" and it was at a place called by this name the Saviour was crucified. The Latin synonyme is Calvaria, from whence is the English “ Calvary." It is never called a mount or hill in Scripture. There was ...
Golgotha is a Hebrew word signifying " a skull ; " and it was at a plaee ealled by this nomo the Saviour whs erueified. The Latin synonymo is Calvaria, from whenee is the English "Calvary." It is never ealled a mount or hill in Seripture.
Messenger of the Cross (1998)
by Watchman Nee
Golgotha means victory! The cross means victory!” We can declare this continually until we are assured in our spirit that the Lord will win the victory this time. We should stand on the ground of the cross and pray for God's victory. We should ask ...
The Tattoo Encyclopedia (2009)
A Guide to Choosing Your Tattoo by Terisa Green
GOLGOTHA The scene of Christ's CRUCIFIXION is a popular theme in Christian tattoo iconography, rendered in many different ways. For some, it may be as simple as three small LATIN CROSSES on an inverted crescent. For others, it is a ...
by Eric Orlin
Golgotha. Golgotha is the Greek transliteration for an Aramaic place name translated by the Gospel writers as...
®Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence for the Sites of Jesus« Crucifixion and Burial. ̄ New Testament Studies ...
The Poor Man's Concordance, and dictionary to the sacred scriptures both of the Old and New Testament (1828)
Designed ... for that class who read the "Poor Man's commentary on the Bible" by Robert Hawker
GOLGOTHA — Or perhaps better read Gulgultha, a skull. This was the memorable spot where the Lord Jesus was crucified ; a mountain north-west of Jerusalem. The Romans called it Calvarea, which we translate Calvary. And the tradition in ...
by James Orr
Patch GOLGOTHA, gol'gft-tha (ToXvofla, Golgothd, from Aram.
Encyclopedia of Catholicism (2006)
by Frank K. Flinn
Golgotha Further reading: Alfred J. Freddoso, ed., The Existence and Nature of God (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1983); Robert McQueen Grant, The Early Christian Doctrine of God (Charlottesville: University Press of ...
Haydn's Bible dictionary (1878)
by Charles Boutell
of the city, at which our Lord was crucified : the three words, Hebrew, Greek and Latin — Golgotha, Kranion, Calvaria—h&vo ...
by Tom Devonshire Jones, Linda Murray, Peter Murray
Golgotha. 234 minor details) for reasons of cost. Gold grounds were the rule in panel paintings from the late 11th century; the ground might be either plain or with an embossed pattern, made by punching a design into the gesso ground of the ...
Catholic Bible Dictionary (2009)
by Scott Hahn
GOLGOTHA (Greek Golgutha, probably from the Aramaic, gulgultd'. meaning “skull") The place located just outside of lerusalem used by the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Golgotha
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Golgotha
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jmettraux
Photo credit: illustir
Photo credit: Sancho Papa
sunrise, Domodedovo airport, Russia
Photo credit: Alex Ermolin
Photo credit: Bert Werk
Away to family
Photo credit: Rob de Vries,
Photo credit: Flavio~
- Golgotha, Texas
Photo credit: ojbyrne
- Above Golgotha
Photo credit: Flavio~
- Raising the Cross over Golgotha
Photo credit: ezhikoff
- Candles on the Golgotha
Burning candles on the Golgotha, in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the Old city of Jerusalem
This photo is available, along with many others, at a much higher resolution and under a free license on Wikimedia Commons.
Photo credit: Guillaume Paumier
- Sunrise at Golgotha
Photo credit: kyz
- Bet Golgotha
Photo credit: katiebutton
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Golgotha
Click on an item to play that video:
- Golgotha Meaning
Video shows what Golgotha means. The hill outside Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.. The rooms of the heads of the colleges .. Golgotha Meaning. How to ...
- The True Meaning Of Golgotha
This sermon shared by R.T. Nusbaum brings an impacting word drawing out the hungry hearted to know the Crucified in a way and view that will truly affect ...
- Explanation of Golgotha at Garden Tomb
See also the pronunciation examples of Golgotha!
Quotes about Golgotha
Scrabble value of G2O1L1G2O1T1H4A1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Golgotha to see it in context!