On this page:
- Definition of the noun germanic
- Definition of the adjective germanic
- Phrases with Germanic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Germanic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Germanic
- Photos about Germanic
- Video language resources about Germanic
- Quotes about Germanic
- Scrabble value of G2E1R1M3A1N1I1C3
- Anagrams of GERMANIC
- Share this page
Definition of the noun germanic
What does germanic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a branch of the Indo-European family of languages; members that are spoken currently fall into two major groups: Scandinavian and West Germanic
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of Germanic: Germanic language
- more generic terms: Indo-European / Indo-European language / Indo-Hittite = the family of languages that by 1000 BC were spoken throughout Europe and in parts of southwestern and southern Asia
- more specific terms:
- West Germanic language / West Germanic = a branch of the Germanic languages
- Proto-Norse = the Germanic language of Scandinavia up until about 700
- Old Norse = the extinct Germanic language of medieval Scandinavia and Iceland from about to 700 to 1350
- North Germanic language / Scandinavian language / North Germanic / Scandinavian / Nordic / Norse = the northern family of Germanic languages that are spoken in Scandinavia and Iceland
- East Germanic language / East Germanic = an extinct branch of the Germanic languages
Definition of the adjective germanic
What does germanic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or relating to the language of Germans
- example: the Germanic sound shifts
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- of or pertaining to the ancient Teutons or their languages
Alternative definition of the adjective germanic
- Having German characteristics
- Relating to the Germanic peoples (such as Germans, Scandinavians or Anglo-Saxons)
- [linguistics] Relating to the language or group of languages known as Germanic
- Of or containing germanium.
- Containing germanium with a valence of 4.
Germanic is a language.
Phrases with Germanic
Phrase starting with the word Germanic:
Phrases ending with the word Germanic:
- east germanic
- west germanic
- north germanic
- Common Germanic
- Northwest Germanic
Other phrases containing the word Germanic:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Germanic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Hadumod Bussmann
Vocabulary, inflection, and syntax have developed differently in the various Germanic languages. There have been several suggestions on the grouping of the Germanic languages, most of which do not overtly conflict with each other. Usually ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Germanic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Germanic
Click on an item to view that photo:
50mm F2,8 1/80 iso 160 Canon FF
Photo credit: Marcelo Campi Amateur photographer
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Germanic
Click on an item to play that video:
- Germanic Meaning
Video shows what Germanic means. The early, undocumented language from which other Germanic languages such as German, English, Dutch and ...
- Germanic Meaning
Video shows what germanic means. Of or containing germanium.. Containing germanium with a valence of 4.. Germanic Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Project Germani: Early Germanic Runes and Language Part II
- The Germanic and English in the Kurdish (Medes) language
Old English is a language closely related to Old Frisian, both forming part of the West Germanic branch of the Germanic languages, a sub-group of the ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Germanic!
Quotes about Germanic
Scrabble value of G2E1R1M3A1N1I1C3
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GERMANIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Germanic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Germanic to see it in context!