On this page:
- George Murphy: George Lloyd Murphy was an American dancer, actor, and politician. Murphy was a song-and-dance leading man in many big-budget Hollywood musicals from 1930 to 1952. He was the president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1944 to 1946, and was awarded an honorary Academy Award in 1951. Murphy served from 1965 to 1971 as U.S. Senator from California, the first notable U.S. actor to make the successful transition to elected official in California, predating Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- also known as George Lloyd Murphy
- born on (113 years ago) in New Haven, child of Nora Long and Mike Murphy
- nationality: United States of America
- religion: Catholicism
- profession: Politician, actor, dancer
- parent of
- died on (23 years ago) in Palm Beach of leukemia
- "Border Incident"
- "Broadway Melody of 1940"
- "Kid Millions"
- played 'Pop' Stazak in "Battleground"
- played Jimmy K. Metcalf in "For Me and My Gal"
- "Show Business"
- played Lt. Steve Bentley (Pilot) in "Bataan"
- "Talk About a Stranger"
- "You're a Sweetheart"
- "Little Nellie Kelly"
- "Little Miss Broadway"
- "This Is the Army"
- "Step Lively"
- "Tom, Dick and Harry"
- "Up Goes Maisie"
- "Ringside Maisie"
- "Broadway Rhythm"
- "Tenth Avenue Angel"
- "Two Girls on Broadway"
- played Patrick O'Donnell in "Big City"
- "Broadway Melody of 1938"
- "Letter of Introduction"
- "It's a Big Country"
- played Gordon Miller in "Step Lively"
- "The Powers Girl"
- "The Mayor of 44th Street"
- played Larry Bishop in "Cynthia"
- played Michael Denis in "London by Night"
- played Bill Raeburn in "The Women Men Marry"
- played Police Insp. Matt Duggan in "No Questions Asked"
- played Theodore 'Ted' Parkson in "The Arnelo Affair"
- played Lt. Thomas L. 'Tom' Sands in "The Navy Comes Through"
- "The Public Menace"
- played Dan Clifford in "Risky Business"
- "Having Wonderful Crime"
- "Walk East On Beacon"
- TV series: "MGM Parade"
- award: - Academy Honorary Award (for his services in interpreting the film industry to the country at large)
- George Murphy is a special effects artist most known for Forrest Gump. For which he won an Academy Award for in the category of Best Visual Effects during the 67th Academy Awards. He shared his win with Allen Hall, Ken Ralston and Stephen Rosenbaum. In addition, he won the BAFTA award for Best Visual Effects at the 48th British Academy Film Awards for Forrest Gump as well.
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Supporting Role - "Black Sails", with Erik Henry, Paul Graff, Annemarie Griggs, Mitch Claspy, Jeremy Hattingh, Doug Hardy, Nick Hsieh & Steven Messing
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Supporting Role - "Black Sails" (I.), with Annemarie Griggs, Erik Henry, Jeremy Hattingh, Paul Graff, Mitch Claspy, Doug Hardy, Steven Messing & Nick Hsieh
- some of the nominations and awards:
- George Murphy was a Welsh footballer who played in a variety of positions mainly centre forward or full back. He played twice for Wales during the Second World War internationals.
- George Murphy is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly in the 2011 provincial election. A member of the Newfoundland and Labrador New Democratic Party, he represents the electoral district of St. John's East.
- George Murphy: George A Murphy is a British actor who has appeared in theatre, TV and films in the UK, Canada and America. He is best known for his role as the presenter of the 1950s training films in the children's TV series, M.I. High. M.I.High is aired on BBC1, BBC1 HD and on CBBC. Other credits include The Doctor Who spin off series of films P.R.O.B.E., The Wicker Man and The Bill. He has also appeared in several plays including The Next Big Thing and Shelf Life.
- George Murphy was a passenger onboard TWA flight 128. He was killed in the crash on November 20,1967.
- George Murphy is the husband of Anne Carlisle.
- with Anne Carlisle
There are other people with in their name, like Lt. George Murphy.
George Murphy is a fictional character in the 2011 romantic comedy film Fuga de cerebros 2.
"George Murphy" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Tom Lehrer
GEORGE MURPHY is an organization founder.
- also known as GEORGE DANIEL MURPHY III, DANNY MURPHY
- official website: www.thesearchninjas.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for George Murphy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by A. Talbot Bethell
George Murphy is a wealthy real estate owner, very astute in business, and always of a pleasant countenance. Kind and generous.
Encyclopedia of California (1997)
Clair Engle, Red Bluff Pierre Salinger, San Francisco George Murphy, Beverly Hills U.S. REPRESENTATIVES Clement W. Miller, Corte Madera Don H. Clausen , Crescent City Harold T. Johnson, Roseville John E. Moss, Jr., Sacramento ...
by Barry Monush
GEORGE MURPHY BORN: NEW HAVEN, CT, JULY 4, 1902. ED: YALE UNIV. DIED: MAY 3, 1992. Considerably more pleasing a performer to spend time ...
Sixth Edition by David Thomson
Sothern as Maisie had nine different leading men (George Murphy was volunteered twice), including Robert Young intheoriginal, Lew Ayres,Lee Bowman (poor Maisie), and RedSkelton. The Maisies were probably, after the Andy Hardys, ...
4th Edition by Michael R. Steele
George Murphy, captain of the 1942 Irish ...
Encyclopedia of the Cold War (2013)
by Ruud van Dijk, William Glenn Gray, Svetlana Savranskaya, Jeremi Suri, Qiang Zhai
Actors George Murphy (later Republican senator from ...
by Mitchell Newton-Matza
The NAACP hired George Murphy, a former attorney general and Confederate colonel to represent the Elaine Twelve. Scipio Africanus Jones, a prominent African American attorney in Little Rock, began working with Murphy and raised money ...
by Marty McGee
Lynda Gurasich Hair Supervisor; Tom Hrupcho, Dave Treevino Paint Foremen; Hal Lary Transportation Captain; Sid Lucero Best Boy Grip; George Murphy, Alex Seiden Computer Graphics Supervisors; Stuart Neumann Location Manager; ...
The FBI Encyclopedia (2003)
by Michael Newton
Cast: George Murphy, Finlay Currie, George Hill, Virginia Gilmore.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for George Murphy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about George Murphy
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of George Murphy to find many related words and phrases!