On this page:
- Definition of the noun crouch
- Definition of the verb crouch
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crouch
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crouch
- Usage statistics about crouch
- Photos about Crouch
- Videos about Crouch
- Quotes about Crouch
- Scrabble value of C3R1O1U1C3H4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun crouch
What does crouch mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: crouches
- the act of bending low with the limbs close to the body
Alternative definition of the noun crouch
- [obsolete] A cross.
- A bent or stooped position.
- A button (of a joypad, joystick or similar device) whose only or main current function is that when it is pressed causes a video game character to crouch.
Definition of the verb crouch
What does crouch mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: crouched | crouching | crouches
- bend one's back forward from the waist on down
- example: he crouched down
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] The dog flopped [Agent - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The dog flopped in the corner
Verbs of Assuming a Position (with the same syntax): bend, bow, flop, hang, hunch, kneel, lean, lie, lie down, perch, plop, rise, sit, sit down, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stand up, stoop, straddle.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of crouch: bend / bow / stoop
- more generic words: bend / flex = form a curve
- more specific words:
- entailment: change posture = undergo a change in bodily posture
- sit on one's heels
- examples: The children crouch in the rocking chair | There crouch some children in the rocking chair
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Theme, indefinite] There stood on the corner a statue [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] They stood the statue on the pedestal [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] John slouched [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The statue stood on the corner [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] On the pedestal stood a statue
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): balance, bend, bow, dangle, droop, flop, fly, hang, hover, huddle, hunch, jut, kneel, lean, lie, loll, loom, lounge, nestle, open, perch, plop, project, protrude, recline, repose, rest, rise, roost, sag, sit, slope, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stoop, straddle, swing, tilt, tower.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of crouch: hunker / hunker down / scrunch / scrunch up / squat
- more generic terms: sit / sit down = be seated
Alternative definition of the verb crouch
- [obsolete] To sign with the cross; bless.
- [intransitive] To bend down; to stoop low; to lie close to the ground with legs bent, as an animal when waiting for prey, or in fear.
- [intransitive] To bend servilely; to stoop meanly; to fawn; to cringe.
- [intransitive] To bend, or cause to bend, as in humility or fear.
- Crouch is a city in Boise County, Idaho, United States. The population was 162 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Boise City–Nampa, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Crouch a.k.a. Crouch, Virginia: Crouch is an unincorporated community in King and Queen County, Virginia, United States.
- read more about Crouch, Virginia
Crouch is a family name.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crouch
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Historical and Biographical ... by Charles Blanchard
Crouch is an accomplished lady, and was for many years an esteemed teacher in the public schools of Brazil. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. SAMUEL W. CURTIS, an attorney at law, Brazil, Ind., was born in Owen ...
by Harold A. Crouch
THE AUTHOR Harold Crouch is an Associate Professor in ...
by Cathy H.C. Hsu, William C Gartner
Crouch is a Professor of Tourism Policy and Marketing in the La Trobe ...
Holiday Stories to Warm the Heart by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen
Tanja Crouch is a former music business vice president, having worked with ...
Believing God for the Impossible by Bill Bright, John C. Maxwell, Mike Huckabee
Paul Crouch is the founder of the Trinity Broadcasting Network.
Meaning and Medicine (2013)
A Reader in the Philosophy of Health Care by Hilde Lindemann Nelson
CROUCH is a graduate student in the Department of Philosophy, University of Virginia, and Research Assistant, Joint Centre for Bioethics, University of Toronto. NORMAN DANIELS is Goldthwaite Professor of Rhetoric in the ...
by Lol Henderson, Lee Stacey
Around thesame time, white Pentecostal evangelists discovered gifted singersongwriter Andrae Crouch, who signed with ...
An Universal Etymological English Dictionary; Comprehending the Derivations of the Generality of Words in the English Tongue, Either Ancient Or Modern, ... and Also a Brief and Clear Explication of All Difficult Words, ...together with a Large Collection and Explication of Words and Phrases Used in Our Ancient Statutes, Chartes, Writs, Old Records, and Processes in Law; ... Containing Many Thousand Words More Than Either Harris Philips, Kersey, Or Any English Dictionary Before Extant. To Wich is Added, a Collection of Our Most Common Proverbs, with Their Explication and Illustration. The Whole Work Compil'd and Methodically Digested, ... By N. Bailey, Philologos (1757)
CROUCH' [Croebu, F.] crooked; also a Crofs. 0. CROUCH' Maß a Festival observed CROUCH Mass Day 5 by the Roman Catholicks, in Honour of the Holy ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
CROUCH. CROWN. CROYLAND. CROYLAND .
by W. K. McNeil
'' The 1970s brought Crouch even greater success and recognition, ...
by Randall Herbert Balmer
Crouch 197 that promotes international *EVANGE- LISM. Using information gathered from Global Mapping International and the World Evangelization Database of the Southern Baptist Foreign Mission Board, the Center maintains a computer ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crouch
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about crouch
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb crouch:
Photos about Crouch
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: downatthezoo
Photo credit: settlja
Photo credit: stella_gonzales2003
Photo credit: Florence Ivy
Photo credit: Hambear
Photo credit: danxoneil
Getting a picture of the riverside wall on the foreshore at the South Bank.
Photo credit: garryknight
Photo credit: Florence Ivy
Photo credit: ernop
- Crouch Hall Rd
Photo credit: satguru
- Crouch Hill sign
Photo credit: satguru
- Crouch Hill jct
Photo credit: satguru
View more pictures about Crouch End.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Crouch
Click on an item to play that video:
- Crouch Meaning
Video shows what crouch means. A cross.. crouch pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. crouch meaning. Powered by MaryTTS.
- Learning English - Visual Words - crouch, obscure, seep - ESL Lesson 237
SCRIPT The child has crouched down. The clouds have obscured the sun. Sap is seeping out of the tree. A) The child is looking down. B) The child has ...
- ESL for Beginners - English Short Story - dock, crouch, spread etc. - Lesson 113
Script Four people are on a dock beside the water. A woman holds a net with a long pole. The net is red. A little girl is looking inside of a blue bucket. She has ...
- Nicole Crouch EFL Grammar Lesson
Nicole Crouch EFL Grammar Lesson.
See also the pronunciation examples of Crouch!
Quotes about Crouch
Scrabble value of C3R1O1U1C3H4
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Crouch to see it in context!