Bold appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim. (29 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective bold:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective bold
- Definition of the noun bold
- Definition of the verb bold
- Phrases with Bold
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bold
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bold
- Photos about Bold
- Videos about Bold
- Sign language
- Quotes about Bold
- Scrabble value of B3O1L1D2
- Anagrams of BOLD
- Share this page
The word bold is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective bold
What does bold mean as an attribute of a noun?
Bold is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: bolder | boldest
- fearless and daring
- examples: bold settlers on some foreign shore | a bold speech | a bold adventure
- antonym: timid
- similar: audacious / brave / dauntless / fearless / hardy / intrepid / unfearing; daredevil / temerarious; emboldened; foolhardy / heady / rash / reckless; heroic / heroical; nervy; overreaching / vaulting; overvaliant
- attribute: hardihood / hardiness / boldness / daring = the trait of being willing to undertake things that involve risk or danger
- see also: adventuresome / adventurous; fearless / unafraid; forward; brave / courageous
- clear and distinct
- examples: bold handwriting | a figure carved in bold relief | a bold design
- similar: conspicuous
- very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front
Alternative definition of the adjective bold
- Courageous, daring.
- [context: of a typeface] having thicker strokes than the ordinary form of the typeface
- See presumptuous.
Specialised definition of the adjective bold
Glossary of sports / golf
usually descriptive of a putt that's hit too hard and goes well beyond the hole, but it might be applied to any shot that carries too far or to a firmly hit approach shot to a pin that's well protected
Definition of the noun bold
What does bold mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bolds
- a typeface with thick heavy lines
Definition of the verb bold
What does bold mean as a doing word?
- To make a selected portion of text have a typeface with thicker and heavier strokes.
Bold is a civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of St Helens in Merseyside, England. Bold itself is situated to the south east of St Helens, near to the boundaries with Halton and Warrington in Cheshire. The parish extends southwards beyond the M62 motorway and includes the hamlet of Bold Heath along with the Clock Face and New Bold area of St Helens. According to the 2001 Census it had a population of 2,283.
- also known as Bold, Merseyside; Bold, St Helens
- part of United Kingdom, Metropolitan Borough of St Helens, Merseyside
Bold is a late 1980s youth crew hardcore band from Westchester County, New York, which along with bands like Youth Of Today and Side By Side were a part of the Youth Crew, and an influence in the late 80's straight edge hardcore scene. The band progressed to a more rock-oriented sound in its later years.
Bold was an American Thoroughbred racehorse that is best remembered for winning the 1951 Preakness Stakes in a long shot victory and for being killed when struck by lightning at the age of four while pastured at his Upperville, Virginia farm.
- born in (67 years ago)
- Bold is a fictional character from the 2014 film Autómata.
- Bold is a fictional character from the animated children's television series The Animals of Farthing Wood based upon the books of the same name by author Colin Dann. Bold is a fox.
There are other characters with in their name, like Charles the Bold.
- "Bold" is a musical album of Readymade FC.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Bold" is a musical album of Catriona MacDonald.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Bold" is a musical album of Angie & Debbie Winans.
- "Bold" is a musical album of Be.
- "Bold" is a composition.
- music by Readymade FC
- "BOLD" is a song by Boldy James.
"Bold" is a 2006 crime fiction and drama film written and directed by K.C. Bokadia.
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- director: K. C. Bokadia
- producer: Sohani Jain
- executive producer: M.L. Sen
- written by K. C. Bokadia
- based on a story by K. C. Bokadia
- cinematography by Panveer Selvam
- edited by Govind Dalwadi
- music by Bappi Lahiri
- genres: Crime Fiction, Drama, Bollywood, World cinema
- released in (9 years ago)
- Bold is a breed temperament.
- Bold is a laundry detergent brand owned by Procter & Gamble.
- Bold was a German sonar decoy, used by U-boats during the Second World War from 1942 onwards. It consisted of a metal canister about 10 cm in diameter filled with calcium hydride. It was launched by an ejector system colloquially referred to as Pillenwerfer.
- also known as Pillenwerfer
- Bold is a website.
- official website: stateofillinois.us/people/Bold
- Bold is a family name.
Phrases with Bold
Phrases starting with the word Bold:
Phrases ending with the word Bold:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bold
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Dr. Joy Riar O.D.
Being bold means you make a statement about your life. Always take a stand for your life. There is nothing to be afraid of. It is only when you lose yourself to self- sabotage that the world feels unapplauding. It is then that you become less ...
Portraits of Prayer (2016)
People Who Prayed and the Prayers They Prayed by Piqela Gabaza
Being bold means to face the threat, the danger, the Sanhedrin and the fate, whatever it was, that went with preaching the Word of God. By stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your ...
by Sean Anderson
Being bold also means that you are a true problem solver and not ...
Making Great Games (2012)
An Insider's Guide to Designing and Developing the World's Greatest Games by Michael Thornton Wyman
However, being bold means that we will always have a set of ambitions we are working towards, and this will always be hard ...
A Definitive Code for Managerial Success by Richard Templar
Being bold means you can take risks. And taking risks means they pay off—not all the time but often enough that you get a name for yourself as a high-flyer, a go -getter, a success. Being passionate means caring about what you do. Not just.
How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice by Jordan Rosenfeld
Being bold also means claiming your voice as your own rather than attempting to mimic others'. It means not censoring yourself (at least in the act of drafting—you can revise as needed later), putting your work and yourselfin ...
Heat and Light (2010)
Advice for the Next Generation of Journalists by Mike Wallace, Beth Knobel
Being bold also means being relentless in your pursuit of a story. When faced with adversity, a truly relentless reporter goes for the story another way instead of being put off. 4. Use your comparative advantage. Whatever you do, strive to do it ...
Volume 1: Uppercase, Upright Fonts - Sans Serif, Serif, Condensed by Thomas V Skrivan
FB FB Agency Black A Helvetica Inserat FB FB Agency Regular A Helvetica Ultra Compr A ITC Anna BT Huxley Vertical BT Aurora Bold Condensed A Industria Solid BT Aurora Condensed FHD Isepik ICG Badloc MT Mekanik ICG Badloc ...
Answering at Once the Purposes of Rhyming, Spelling, and Pronouncing. On a Plan Not Hitherto Attempted ... To which is Prefixed a Copious Introduction to the Various Uses of the Work ... and for the Purposes of Poetry is Added an Index of Allowable Rhymes by John Walker
To make bold, v. a. To raise confidence; to encourage, v, *. Made of gold ...
Vol 7: Foodways: Easyread Large Bold Edition by John T. Edge
Vol 7: Foodways: Easyread Large Bold Edition John T. Edge. was valuable, and in the autumn a quarter of the body weight of healthy coons and possums might be fat. John Audubon and John Bachman noted the anticipation that proceeded a ...
Given Names Listed by Meaning, 2d ed. by Yvonne Navarro
bold Diallo ( African); Kyne (AngloSaxon); Tristram (Celtic); Caleb (Hebrew), Cale, Kaleb; Cort (Old ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bold
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bold
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: kirillzubovsky
Photo credit: Jaypeg21
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: Janayna Velozo
Photo credit: drewgstephens
Photo credit: larrozzi
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
Photo credit: 55thstreet
- Bold tulips
Photo credit: Gilbert-Noël Sfeir Mont-Liban
- Bright & bold
Colour explosion in a hanging basket.
Photo credit: Marcus T Ward
- Blackberry Bold
Photo credit: JeanbaptisteM
- BlackBerry Bold
Photo credit: edans
Photo credit: mrsgwenmeyers
- Macedonia for Blackberry Bold
Photo credit: FreshFiber
- SplashArt Bold
Drop Control SplashArt Water Drop Kit
Canon 7D 1/200 f/10 100mm macro.
Strobist info 2 YN560 Through Perspex Mounted Vertically 1/32 Power 8 inches behind drop.
Yellow an Red Gels
Bit of blue dye in 1:4 corn syrup : water mix droped into tray of water
Photo credit: Joe Dyer
- James Bold enjoying the countryside
Photo credit: Bicycle Bob
- HeBrew Messiah Bold
Photo credit: kapital
- Macedonia Case for Blackberry Bold
Photo credit: FreshFiber
Photo credit: kiwanja
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Bold
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cream Eyeliner | Bold & Beautiful Eye Definition by e.l.f. Cosmetics
- Bold Meaning
Video shows what bold means. A dwelling; habitation; building.. bold pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. bold meaning.
- Blackboard bold Meaning
Video shows what blackboard bold means. A typeface used for representing bold characters, mainly used in mathematical texts, that allows these characters to ...
- Fortune favors the bold Meaning
Video shows what fortune favors the bold means. Luck is usually on the side of those who take chances and risks.. Fortune favors the bold Meaning. How to ...
- BALD HEAD, BALD BROWS, BOLD LIPS: DAY 5, DONATION EXPLANATION: RIMMEL CUTTING EDGE
- Toolz; A Definition Of Big, Bold & Beautiful
- Blackberry Bold 9780 Language Changing
Language Changing at Blackberry Bold 9780 ******************************************* Music & intro by Harry Hosted by Harry Management & Assistance by ...
- Bold Presentation Skills: Match Your Body Language to Your Message
Professional speaker and executive presentation skills coach Gilda Bonanno explains how to make sure your body language matches the words you're saying ...
- BlackBerry Bold 9900 disassembly, bezel swap and reassembly (English description)
Tutorial for the disassembly, bezel swap to another color and reassembly of the BlackBerry Bold 9900... Visit us at...
- 2.2.1 Use a Bold Body Language
- Homonym Words Dictionary - Bold
- COMING SOON TO THOMAS THE MULTI-LANGUAGE TANK ENGINE: BOLD AND BRAVE!
See also the pronunciation examples of Bold!
Be Bold Be Strong - sign language actions
Some actions based on sign-supported English for the Christian worship song Be Bold Be Strong.
Quotes about Bold
Be you bold brothers
You of the dark black skin
Be you bold brother
You of the blue black skin
Be you bold brother
You of the high yellow skin
Be you bounteous bound to be a black brother
You of the dirty red skin. (David E. Patton)
more quotes about bold...
Scrabble value of B3O1L1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BOLD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bold!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bold to see it in context!