On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun arthropoda
What does arthropoda mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- jointed-foot invertebrates: arachnids; crustaceans; insects; millipedes; centipedes
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Arthropoda: phylum Arthropoda
- more generic word: phylum = the major taxonomic group of animals and plants
- member of: animal kingdom / Animalia / kingdom Animalia = taxonomic kingdom comprising all living or extinct animals
- arthropod = invertebrate having jointed limbs and a segmented body with an exoskeleton made of chitin
- superclass Chelicerata / Chelicerata = spiders; scorpions
- superclass Myriapoda = used in some classifications to encompass the millipedes (Diplopoda) and centipedes (Chilopoda); formerly a large taxon including also the Pauropoda and Symphyla
- class Pauropoda / Pauropoda = an obscure class of minute arthropods with branched antennae and 8 to 10 pairs of legs
- class Symphyla / Symphyla = small class of minute arthropods
- class Tardigrada / Tardigrada = in some classifications considered a separate phylum: microscopic arachnid-like invertebrates living in water or damp moss having 4 pairs of legs and instead of a mouth a pair of stylets or needlelike piercing organs connected with the pharynx
- class Chilopoda / Chilopoda = arthropods having the trunk composed of numerous somites each bearing one pair of legs: centipedes
- class Diplopoda / class Myriapoda / Diplopoda / Myriapoda = arthropods having the body composed of numerous double somites each with two pairs of legs: millipedes
- subphylum Pentastomida / Pentastomida = tongue worms
- class Crustacea / Crustacea = class of mandibulate arthropods including: lobsters; crabs; shrimps; woodlice; barnacles; decapods
- class Onychophora / Onychophora = enigmatic small elongated wormlike terrestrial invertebrates of damp dark habitats in warm regions; distinct from the phylum Annelida
- class Hexapoda / class Insecta / Hexapoda / Insecta = insects
- insect = small air-breathing arthropod
Phrases with Arthropoda
- phylum arthropoda
- Cyathea Arthropoda
- Byrsonima Arthropoda
- Schizocaena Arthropoda
- Sphaeropteris Arthropoda
- Species Cyathea Arthropoda
- Species Byrsonima Arthropoda
- Species Schizocaena Arthropoda
- Species Sphaeropteris Arthropoda
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Arthropoda
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Antifouling Compounds (2006)
by Nobuhiro Fusetani, Anthony S. Clare
Conclusions The Arthropoda is a highly diverse phylum, which contains a limited number of species that cause severe damage to human interests by destroying crops and transmitting pathogens to humans and animals. This conflict is ...
An Integrated Approach by Alan Gunn, Sarah Jane Pitt
To begin with, there is some uncertainty whether the Arthropoda is a monophyletic or polyphyletic clade. That is, whether the current members are derived from a single ancestor or ...
E-Z Biology (2009)
by Gabrielle I. Edwards, Cynthia Pfirrmann
The Arthropoda is the largest animal phylum in numbers of individuals, encompassing approximately 800,000 species, more than all of the other animal species combined. It includes spiders, ticks, mites, lobsters, crabs, insects, centipedes, ...
Residue Reviews (2012)
Residues of Pesticides and Other Contaminants in the Total Environment by Francis A. Gunther, Jane Davies Gunther
Arthropoda is the largest phylum of the animal kingdom. It is composed of Myriapoda, Crustacea, Arachnida, and Hexapoda (Insecta). Nearly all these taxa have both aquatic and terrestrial forms. Among these taxa Insecta constitutes about ...
The IUCN Red Data Book by N. Mark Collins, Michael G. Morris
The phylum Arthropoda is a vast assemblage of ...
Molecules, Development, Morphology by Alessandro Minelli, Geoffrey Boxshall, Giuseppe Fusco
These paired limbs are primitively segmented—and the name of the taxon Arthropoda refers to the jointed limbs of its members. While the origin of arthropods is not the focus of this chapter, it is relevant to note that the recent discovery of a ...
by Byron J. Adams, John L. Crawley
Containing over 1,235,850 species, Arthropoda is the largest phylum within the kingdom Animalia. Arthropods are also the most biologically successful of all animals.There are more species of them, they live in a greater variety of habitats, and ...
by Julie Feinstein
The phylum Arthropoda is the largest in the animal kingdom. Its name comes from Greek words that mean “jointed foot”; arthropods have paired articulated jointed limbs.
The Commonwealth and International Library: Biology Division by J. L. Cloudsley-Thompson
SCHMIDT THE Arthropoda is the dominant phylum of the Invertebrates. In the oceans, minute crustaceans comprise the major component of the zooplankton upon which the food chains of the whales and ...
Guide to the Oceans (2004)
by John Pernetta
PHYLUM ARTHROPODA The phylum Arthropoda is the largest group in ...
by Lindell Bromham
Antimutator: see mutator Arthropoda is a phylum of animals, including spiders, insects and crustaceans, characterized by segmented bodies, paired jointed limbs and an exoskeleton (a hard covering over the body) made of chitin. Artificial ...
Medical Entomology (2003)
A Textbook on Public Health and Veterinary Problems Caused by Arthropods by B.F. Eldridge, J.D. Edman
ROMOSER Ohio University, Athens THE PHYLUMARTHROPODA The phylum Arthropoda is the largest assemblage in the Animal Kingdom, the number of arthropod species outstripping all others many times over. Of particular interest in ...
by Carl Gegenbaur
As the skeleton of the Arthropoda is an external one, the muscles arise from and are inserted into the inner ...
by Hanneke J.G. Baretta-Bekker, Egbert K. Duursma, Bouwe R. Kuipers
Arthropoda (arthropods) ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
Arthropoda A highly diverse phylum of jointedlimbed animals, which includes the crustaceans, arachnids, and insects as the major components, as well as the classes *Symphyla, *Pauropoda, *Chilopoda (centipedes), *Diplopoda ( millipedes) ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (2 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
Flechtmann, 'Mite (Arthropoda: Acari) associates of Palms (Arecaceae) in Brazil II. Redescription of Amrineus cocofolius Flechtmann, 1994 (Acari: Eriophyidae).' International ...
by O. P. Singh, S. K. Srivastava
Arthropoda: A phylum of the invertebrate ...
in Arthropoda. Amphibia and Reptilia. In vertibrates the sloughing of the outer epidermis is under the control of pituitary and thyroid hormones. In insects the shedding of the ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1910)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information
Arthropoda. The ROTIFER* are characterized by the retention of what appears in Molluscs and Chaetopods as an embryonic organ, the velum or ciliated prae-oral girdle, as a locomotor and food- seizing apparatus, and by the reduction of the ...
by Mark W. Denny, Steven Dean Gaines
TERWILLIGER Un1versity of Otegon The largest group of animals is the phylum Arthropoda, and it includes the crabs, shrimps, spiders, scorpions, and insects, as well as millipedes and centipedes. Arthropods are estimated to make ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Arthropoda
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Arthropoda
If you need images about Arthropoda for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Scrabble value of A1R1T1H4R1O1P3O1D2A1
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Arthropoda to see it in context!